Star Trek: Questions you always wanted answers to

They go all the way back to TOS. Best guess is some kind of correlative staus indicator for the sensors and main viewer. That is, showing roughly what part of the image has been most recently refreshed with the latest sensor data.

Sadly, we Treknologists have had to spend way too much mental run time figuring out possible and at least somewhat reasonable functions for set pieces and display artifacts that were originally just put in because It Looks Cool (TM).

--Jonah

Star Trek Questions you've always wanted answers for...

well, since the star wars one was so popular...

- what ever happened to the humans in the Nuetral Zone episode? I think there might have been a book about them, but not really sure. I always found that story more interesting than the romulans part of the episode

-Did anyone think that Wes's story after he left the enterprise just didn't feel right, or sit well with how the character had been progressing up to his Academy appearance?
It's like he cracked under the pressure of academy life, but he was under far more pressure on the enterprise, so academy life should have been nothing and should have shown far better judgment. I also didn't like his season 7 appearance showing him beligerent toward everyone and everything. Angry wes was no fun. Personally, I never minded the character, since at the time, I was an awkward kid about the same age as him......I never really understood the hate toward the character. A futuristic genius would be as smart as the adults, or smarter...just like geniuses of today can be.

- plot lines I kind of wish where continued. The Weird Synergy episode of season 1...with the alien invasion stomach force that kind of got swept under the rug after it aired. incredibly weird, incredibly creepy, and very unlike star trek...but something im surprised hadn't been tried before or since..

- the music of TNG. I've been listening to some of the tracks from la la land lately. Holy hell, it's AMAZING how awesome the music is from season 1-4. But after that? THe music is so boring, bland and dull that you can't even fall asleep to it...and it ALL SOUNDS THE SAME! Supposedly, by the numbers Berman told the musicians to dumb down the music so it didn't over shadow the episode? Am I the only one as a music lover who think that is an incredibly idiotic thing to say? What's the point of even releasing the music after thefirst four seasons...there is nothing special to it.

Last edited:
Re: Star Trek Questions you've always wanted answers for...

Read the Deep Space Nine "Relaunch" sequence, starting with the last numbered book, "A Stitch In Time", about (and by) Garak. Yay for ongoing, sequential storytelling, and the "Conspiracy" parasites are involved.

"Angry Wes" is best explained by him just going through his teen angst/establishment of self later. He does come back to Starfleet, per Nemesis, and later serves as Riker's Chief Engineer on the Titan.

And i thought TNG, as a whole, started to fall off after a high point of seasons 2 and 3. Lots of good episodes, still, yes, but more 'meh' ones coming into the mix. I can watch all but, like, two episodes of season 2 over and over again. Not nearly that ratio for season three, and fewer and fewer the more the show ground on. I wish they'd learned the ongoing-arc lesson of DS9 earlier, and maybe let the Enterprise-D do what she was originally supposed to -- go out past explored space, see what was there, and not keep returning to Earth. :rolleyes Me, I love the Iidea of giving them Voyager's story -- throw them way the heck out there, let Nick Locarno be the new main helmsman (Bobby MacNeill's other character), with the tension that would bring. *shrug* Missed opportunity to keep TNG fresh.

As for the "Neutral Zone" humans, I know at least the financier shows up inthe books, but I don't think the others ever do... I'd have to check, but don't feel like it right now. :p

--Jonah

So i'm watching season 7 on blu ray.

am I the only one pissed that Jason wasn't really picards son? they played it faaar to status quo with that episode.

Season 2, you kidding?! Season 3 is the one that hits a home run almost every episode.

We may have to agree to disagree. Season 2? There are, like, two episodes I don't/can't watch over and over. Even kinda-weak stories are otherwise made more watchable thanks to great characterization and acting. Season 3? About the same -- but on some level the degree of enjoyment with most of those episodes is less, for some reason that I've been trying to figure out for ages. Nor am I saying later seasons sucked. I can point to many episodes I adore and find eminently watchable. But if I'm wanting to watch TNG and just want to pop on a favorite episode? It's likely to be "The Measure of a Man" or "A Matter of Honor" or "Q Who?" or "Samaritan Snare" or "Elementary, Dear Data" or "Peak Performance" or... I have a much shorter go-to list for the other seasons. *shrug*

--Jonah

Last edited:
We're not far off, those are some fine examples. Just a minor difference in what is "more better"! :lol

Well don't get me wrong... if you think it is on par with those other terrific episodes you mentioned (Measure of a Man is one of my favourites), more power to you.

When I read your list, it felt like the "One of these things is not like the other" bit on Sesame Street. ;)

Haven't watched it in decades, but if the part in the shuttle is where Picard describes the bar fight and getting stabbed through the heart, yes that is a redeemable scene in that episode; love that they made that into the entire episode "Tapestry."

Kevin

WTF happened to the whole changeling blood draw thing from season 5-6 of DS9, You got the dominion all over and scattered across the Alpha quadrant, and then when season 6 started they all forgot the fact that someone on the defiant, or even DS9 before it was occupied by the Cardassians and Dominion, they acted like it was no longer a threat, Thats one thing I want answered

12802728_10153859474035211_8070207782851708571_n.jpg

Things yo notice on blu ray. for some reason tasha switches to the leg showing uniform for this one shot only. you can also see a reflection of the studio lights on rikers pant leg.

Can someone give me an in universe explanation of that short skirt uniform? and it's not just the women who where them. occasionally you will see a guy in a few shots showing some leg too. other than the fact that I think it was a hold over from TOS....it really serves no purpose.

Can someone give me an in universe explanation of that short skirt uniform? and it's not just the women who where them. occasionally you will see a guy in a few shots showing some leg too. other than the fact that I think it was a hold over from TOS....it really serves no purpose.

You mean the skant (that's what I think it was called) ? That was something the I think Rodenberry had come up with in his vision of the future in Trek, something to do with the equality of men and women, I think. It never proved to be very popular and was dropped shortly after the pilot and was only occasionally seen in the background and never again with any of the main cast.

That was the problem with the show, they should have been in much worse shape by the end of the series than they were. After 7 years, assuming that each season represented a year in their time, with no time in space dock for proper refit and maintenance and not to mention the lack of Starfleet parts there's no way that the Voyager could have been in the shape that it was. Then there's expendables like photon torpedoes, something that the writers seem to forget are actually finite, I imagine that if they gave a count to their photon torpedo compliment once hitting the Delta Quadrant and counting how many they used over the course of the show I'm betting that they used more than they actually had. Of course, they'd probably explain that problem by saying they acquired torpedo housings somewhere, guidance systems elsewhere, propulsion systems yet somewhere else, and they provided the anti-matter themselves.

Then there's the matter of crew, between all of the baddies they encountered over the course of the show, shouldn't they really be down to a skeleton crew? The crew compliment of an Intrepid class ship isn't all that large and they lost quite a few when arriving in the Delta Quadrant, of course, most, if not all, of those losses were replaced by Maquis from Chakotay's ship but they were the last Alpha Quadrant reinforcements they got. They only managed to acquire 3 new crew members from the Delta Quadrant with one of those eventually leaving for a net gain of 2 people. Yet despite all of the battles they got into and the bad things that happened they somehow managed to arrive back home with pretty much a full compliment, how's that possible?

Then there's the matter of their free rides of hundreds or thousands of light years at a time from various sources. I've always wondered if the producers kept track of those numbers along with the progress that Voyager was supposed to have made from episode to episode because, personally, I always thought that Voyager was much closer to home than the writers said it was because I seem to recall them getting a lot of free rides every season that knocked off years from their travel time every time it happened.

That was the problem with the show, they should have been in much worse shape by the end of the series than they were. After 7 years, assuming that each season represented a year in their time, with no time in space dock for proper refit and maintenance and not to mention the lack of Starfleet parts there's no way that the Voyager could have been in the shape that it was. Then there's expendables like photon torpedoes, something that the writers seem to forget are actually finite, I imagine that if they gave a count to their photon torpedo compliment once hitting the Delta Quadrant and counting how many they used over the course of the show I'm betting that they used more than they actually had. Of course, they'd probably explain that problem by saying they acquired torpedo housings somewhere, guidance systems elsewhere, propulsion systems yet somewhere else, and they provided the anti-matter themselves.

I thought they just used the replicator? :confused

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back