Star Wars - ANH Rebel Trooper Blaster "DH-17"

el loco

Here is my Try to build a more or less "screen accurate" Rebel Blaster.
Fact is that they used casted Blaster-bodys with org. Single Point Scopes and some other parts.

Years ago i bought a casting of the main body they used for the Blasters in Star Wars ANH.
This is the casting :

fbnhvodn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sadly i can't find a photo from a screenused /complete Blaster as it used in ANH , and that is the big problem, all we have are screenshots, photos of the castings and the mold (as far as i know the org. mold is in the collection of Gus Lopez)

When we talk about the ANH screenshots don't forget that some of the imperial troopers on the death star also have those DH-17 Blasters !
That leads me to a screenshot where i can see the details at the right side of the blaster.

This is the cleaned, sanded, repaired blaster in primer with the added parts :

qfoebc45.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

fpw5ks7x.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

sotho9hy.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

• Casting.jpg
    Casting.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0977.JPG
    IMG_0977.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 243
Nice work man, but what is the backstory behind those right side details? I´ve never seen these before...

Markus

Markus,
i've seen is that there IS anything on the right side, i've always wondered what those parts could be.

d2zg6mxh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

yzg2je68.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then i've found this screenshot of the Imperial trooper with the blaster in his holster :

nd6pad8p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I guess this parts are made from a simple tube, cut in a 45 angle and cut off one end :cool

BTW, in that shots you can clearly see the red markings of the Single Point Scope, that shows that the scopes are NOT painted.

never seen this!

but you should check out the greedo blaster thread....the parts you're looking for are vintage tonearmhead connectors. Toolguy offers 3D prints via shapeways ;)

Markus

Weird. That part has been discovered on 3 props in the last year.

So the added piece running length-wise under the scope area is some sort of conduit and not T-track?

thank you Markus,
AMAZING :p
yeah, that could be the part !

never seen this!

but you should check out the greedo blaster thread....the parts you're looking for are vintage tonearmhead connectors. Toolguy offers 3D prints via shapeways ;)

Markus

Could the conduit be the tone arm?

I keep wondering about that.
OdiWan72. Is there any resemblance of the conduit to that of a Michell arm?

there have been a couple of different people coming out with DH-17 blasters but no one seems to really be paying attention to details. They tend to utilize detail from Sterlings and the MR and in doing so, lack the detailing of this prop.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep wondering about that.
@OdiWan72. Is there any resemblance of the conduit to that of a Michell arm?

there have been a couple of different people coming out with DH-17 blasters but no one seems to really be paying attention to details. They tend to utilize detail from Sterlings and the MR and in doing so, lack the detailing of this prop.

It surely could be -part of- a transcriptor fluid tonearm, check this:

attachment.php

Reg. accurate detailing of the ANH DH17.
Just as you do, I like to keep my props a combination of what they actually looked like on screen and what I suppose them to look like.
I used a MR DH17 and detailed it inspired by El locos build. I should have added the crappy scope-mounts but decided to keep the dovetail-mounts...for now ;)
Bought some accurate DIP14 pin sockets and chips to accurize mine even further.

Curious to see what you come up with, I am sure it´ll come out great

Markus

That arm looks promising. Do you think it could be the same one on each side.

...Curious to see what you come up with, I am sure it´ll come out great

Markus

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I am stuck before I can even start. I need a to be confident about the body/base.

As you know from our previous discussion, I have doubts about using a body based on the 1:1 scale of a Sterling SMG. In the film, this weapon looks smaller than a prop sized off a Sterling. When we compare a cast from the original molds (such as the one used in this build thread) to that of a sterling, it is also smaller.

Now it can be argued that a mold that was made 40 years ago might deal with shrinkage issues. But my current belief is that a undersizing is mostly due to the original prop is a result of a cast of cast. Here is what I think. I think a Sterling was cast, then that cast was modified to build a DH-17 master and then that master was cast to get the mold we know. So the shrinkage could mainly be due to casting of a cast.

I have also been puzzled to the level of modification. We know the barrel was changed and the scope mount added. It also appears that a section of the body was cut out and the point in which the swivel of the stock removed. They also appear to have removed any hint of the cocking slot (heh... cocking slot) and the bolt as seen thought the ejection port lacks the detail of the Sterling, it is smooth. The ejection port is very strange. The deflection shield has been removed and the port itself has been altered as it is not longer rounded toward the barrel and is now straight.

I also have to wonder about the grip and trigger guard area. I think the sterling grip was disassembled prior to its first casting and parts removed (for reasons I do not know). That is why the new trigger guard was added (not sure if it done during the first cast or on the master. The reason I think the parts were removed is that there is no selector switch on the casts from the mold. I also doubt the selector switch was simply sanded off. Because why do that and not touch the selector text.

That arm looks promising. Do you think it could be the same one on each side.

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I am stuck before I can even start. I need a to be confident about the body/base.

As you know from our previous discussion, I have doubts about using a body based on the 1:1 scale of a Sterling SMG. In the film, this weapon looks smaller than a prop sized off a Sterling. When we compare a cast from the original molds (such as the one used in this build thread) to that of a sterling, it is also smaller.

Now it can be argued that a mold that was made 40 years ago might deal with shrinkage issues. But my current belief is that a undersizing is mostly due to the original prop is a result of a cast of cast. Here is what I think. I think a Sterling was cast, then that cast was modified to build a DH-17 master and then that master was cast to get the mold we know. So the shrinkage could mainly be due to casting of a cast.

I have also been puzzled to the level of modification. We know the barrel was changed and the scope mount added. It also appears that a section of the body was cut out and the point in which the swivel of the stock removed. They also appear to have removed any hint of the cocking slot (heh... cocking slot) and the bolt as seen thought the ejection port lacks the detail of the Sterling, it is smooth. The ejection port is very strange. The deflection shield has been removed and the port itself has been altered as it is not longer rounded toward the barrel and is now straight.

I also have to wonder about the grip and trigger guard area. I think the sterling grip was disassembled prior to its first casting and parts removed (for reasons I do not know). That is why the new trigger guard was added (not sure if it done during the first cast or on the master. The reason I think the parts were removed is that there is no selector switch on the casts from the mold. I also doubt the selector switch was simply sanded off. Because why do that and not touch the selector text.

I don´t see any evidence for use of the tonearm on the blasters left side.

Yep...totally understand your POV.
Like discussed before, I also believe it to be a cast of a modified L2A3 cast...NONE of the other resin props used by the prop dept. shows this level of shrinkage, so it must have been a result of manipulating the mold master.

I had one of those casts for the longest but sold it. It just looked way undersized and of course warped. The tone arm thing is awesome.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back