OT DH-17 Help

Troopacoola

Hi everyone! I'm Marc and I am currently looking into building the OT DH-17 Blasters. I have currently made all three versions the OT E-11 Blasters which are made from steel and resin casts from my original sterling, MGC, counters and scopes etc.
I am now looking to do the DH-17's in the same format as my E-11's.
I already have the original single point scope, and the sterling. But, finding decent reference images of the DH-17's has not been easy. I would like to make as accurate versions as possible. So, any direction towards the distinction between the 3 OT blasters along with any identified original components would be greatly appreciated!

this is one of the best refs I have:
starwarsIV_0073.jpg

this blaster is a weird combo, mix of a cast with thick trigger guard, but real singlepoint on all blasters!

One thing to note is that the ANH and ESB blasters are not exactly like Sterlings but modified. The grip assembly has been moved back, as has the front sight, with a cylindrical rod joining the front and rear sights.

Collector Gus Lopez has a mold used for making the ANH blasters, and a cast.
Prop collector Jesper Isberg has Rebel Blaster with a couple greeblies still on it, but the scope was added later.
Two of my really bad shots (distance and glass) of the left side of Isberg's blaster, shot at one of the conventions he ran in Sweden:
ANH (SSGFC 2015-04-26 1).jpg

ANH (SSGFC 2015-04-26 2).jpg

Isberg's blaster still has the front of the two "scope rail" pieces: it looks like bent sheet metal.
The space below the rod has been filled, and the sides slope. On the left is a socketed small IC and glue residue from a lengthwise rod behind it.
In images from the movie, people have identified two Mitchell turntable pieces on the right side just in front of the endcap: 3D-printed replicas are available at Shapeways.
There is an "Imperial Disc" (Mitchell pulley) on the left trigger guard. Then different blasters have various wires.
BTW. Master Replicas' replica of the ANH blaster got almost all the greeblies wrong.

The ESB DH-17 were cast in one piece, and I think all of them were identical except that some had thin and some had thick triggers guards like the ANH blasters.
They have been shown publicly in exhibits and Planet Hollywood Orlando, and there is a high-res photos of Lando holding one, so there should be many reference of it out there on the web.
There are cam shafts and piston halves from the Visible V8 Engine model kit.
SIdewider missile half and fuel tank halves from the Revell Phantom F4E model kit. (I forgot the scale, sorry)

The scope rings used in ANH are probably the same as were moulded for ESB. They have not been identified AFAIK, but images of the ESB blaster should show enough detail to enable you to identify them should you come across them (or if you would want to replicate them).

The ROTJ DH-17 were made from MGC replicas of the Canadian Sterling. The mods were different: the trigger assembly was not moved: it was just shortened in the front and back. Resin scope, with different scope rings and different rod, and different greeblies.
It has also been shown in exhibits and depicted in the Visual Dictionary, so detailed pictures should not be hard to find if you search.

Many pictures of all three have been posted in previous threads.

Last edited:
One thing to note is that the ANH and ESB blasters are not exactly like Sterlings but modified. The grip assembly has been moved back, as has the front sight, with a cylindrical rod joining the front and rear sights.

Collector Gus Lopez has a mold used for making the ANH blasters, and a cast.
Prop collector Jesper Isberg has Rebel Blaster with a couple greeblies still on it, but the scope was added later.
Two of my really bad shots (distance and glass) of the left side of Isberg's blaster, shot at one of the conventions he ran in Sweden:
View attachment 1787857
View attachment 1787858
Isberg's blaster still has the front of the two "scope rail" pieces: it looks like bent sheet metal.
The space below the rod has been filled, and the sides slope. On the left is a socketed small IC and glue residue from a lengthwise rod behind it.
In images from the movie, people have identified two Mitchell turntable pieces on the right side just in front of the endcap: 3D-printed replicas are available at Shapeways.
There is an "Imperial Disc" (Mitchell pulley) on the left trigger guard. Then different blasters have various wires.
BTW. Master Replicas' replica of the ANH blaster got almost all the greeblies wrong.

The ESB DH-17 were cast in one piece, and I think all of them were identical except that some had thin and some had thick triggers guards like the ANH blasters.
They have been shown publicly in exhibits and Planet Hollywood Orlando, so there should be many images of them out there on the web.
There are cam shafts and piston halves from the Visible V8 Engine model kit, and some parts from the F4 Phantom model kit.

The scope rings used in ANH are probably the same as were moulded for ESB. They have not been identified AFAIK, but images of the ESB blaster should show enough detail to enable you to identify them should you come across them (or if you would want to replicate them).
Thank you! That's the sort of info I'm looking for!

These are from that mould: MR was going to make them way back when.
It would have been part of their “Garage Kit Line” wherein the props would be cast from originals and not cleaned up in any way.

I believe they used the same 14 pin IC as was used on the MSE droid.
I found some on eBay a few years ago: Texas Instruments SN7400N Quad 2-Input Positive-NAND Gate (this one was made 1974 week 32)
I also found on eBay the wide IC socket they used: "Augat Apple 1 14 Pin IC Socket" as it’s wide and has angled sides.

Texas Instruments SN7400N Quad 2-Input Positive-NAND Gate 1974 wk 32.png
find this 14 pin ic socket copy.png
Augat Apple 1 14 Pin IC Socket.jpg

real_rft1.jpg
real_rft2.jpg
Rebel Blaster Cast.jpg
Rebel Blaster Cast 2.jpg
Rebel Blaster Stunt mold.jpg

unnamed-4.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back