"BATA" HLMF / HRMF Decals 90% done (95% hasbro parts HRMF build)

This has been very interesting. Funny how more than 95% of these decals are not evident in the movies. Thank God because identifying a decal as saying "Champion" or "Cummins" would have killed the "reality" of the Star Wars Universe. They used them more as greeblies.

Scarecrow Joe, you hit it on the head. Like the 'spattering and scraping and gouging' weathering that was done, it all supports the 'eyeball impression' of complexity, hence realism for a large object being depicted onscreen by a relatively small model. Lets see, doing some math, if the 28" model is 1/48 scale, then the "real" MF would be 112 feet (1344 inches) so the 5 footer (assuming it is exactly that length) represents a 1/22.4 "scale" model. Movie magic! It is so funny to me to speak of the filming prop of a fictional object in terms of '1:1' scaling concepts...
R/ Robert

EM, I found more info about the Penn. state road tax stickers (#19 & #20). Apparently, the verbiage is "PENNSYLVANIA / Department (seal) Of / Revenue / Void After 1970". This is taken from current stickers, which don't look like the AMT kit decal version, but the spacing of the illegible lettering seems to match this phrasing very well.
R/ Robert

In post #58 - the word is "Shiden" - decal comes from one of the plane kits they used.
The letters that are visible are "SDEN" and the wide spacing after the "N" implies it is the end of the word (wider than the other spacing.) Given the bold red design, I think it is a logo of some kind, probably from a Formula One car kit. I think they liked the car & truck kit decals a lot since so many of the decals used are confirmed being from those type kits. The tiny stenciling blocks from a/c kits are relatively few by comparison.
Regards, Robert

NEW FINDING! The AMT Nitro Charger Funny Car decal sheet is the source for several of the designs, including:
#42 & #43 (the tail lights)
#26 (there IS a space between the circles!)
#36 (the car striping was cut down to make this one, and it is orange!)
#66 may have also come from this sheet but it is a different form. Will need to look at the few images we have to see which version of the logo was used
plus
#7 the Champion spark plugs logo may have different versions used in various spots: some with the phrase "EQUIPPED WITH / [LOGO] / SPARK PLUGS" included and some without the phrase.

This was found (of all places) on eBay where a fellow is selling old decal sheets, making a defacto archive. Click below to bring up a bigger view.
Regards, Robert

Attachments

• Nitrofunny car.JPG
    Nitrofunny car.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 196
Nice find!

Lucky, I am! Note, I just updated my post #56 to confirm the source of #67, the "CONN." sticker. The number is actually '5 - 69" and (getting a flat view of the original) has the uneven spacing Eric first applied. Slowly, we get to the bottom of this!
R/ Robert

Attachments

• no_67_confirmed.jpg
    no_67_confirmed.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 497
ANOTHER ONE! Hey, I've hit the gold mine over on eBay! Here is the source for the infamous 'Allied Mover' arrow on the cockpit 'roof', the AMT Allied Moving and Storage kit decals. So it is possible to get the exact proportions of the original decal. What good fortune... of course, if I had the size of the original sheets, that would help out the studio scale modelers too.
R/ Robert

Attachments

• allied movers.JPG
    allied movers.JPG
    220.2 KB · Views: 169
Re: "BATA" HLMF / HRMF Decals 90% done (95% hasbro parts HRMF build)

Another find! The "Drive Safely" decal came off the AMT Kenworth COE Interstate 1/25th kit sheet.

- - - Updated - - -

^^^Someone give this man a medal for christsakes!!!!! You are in the "zone"!

(y))
This eBayer's store is a gold mine! Goes by "billygooche"... R/ Robert

Attachments

• interstate.JPG
    interstate.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 180
LOL. Robert, WAY TO GO!

The Allied Mover decal REALY helps. When I first did the initial re creation, the verticals on the "post" from the sign are not straight and I assumed this was due to camera distortion.

Apparently not so much. After looking at the copy blocks (text) I'm wondering if ILM used any ie cutting them down as needed. Some of the line breaks seem to match Misc. text blocks.

Things like the Champion logo with the small text over the Champion logo type are TOO small to include when final scaled size is just over an 1/8' left to right.
It will fill in when printed and look "muddy".

Same issue with any of the really small hash marks ect. I'm planning on simplifying them so they 'read" correctly when applied. Just something to keep in mind.:)

Also noted the Valvoline logo. looks like ILM chopped off the bottom, used the top half.

I'm starting on all the little misc. graphics ie, stars and bars, ect.

Concerning your post 59, Yes, check it out. I always like MORE printing options.:D

Awesome job!

EM, the 'Champion' decal is a prime example of a few issues you've got to address. I believe it is possible that the Champion decals used came from several different kit sheets, some being more 'hi-rez' than others. As you've noted, the primary concern is that scaling the graphics down from the 'full size' 5-footer to the 28 incher Hasbro creates real problems with printing resolution (a 46% reduction of designs that already were at 1/25 scale.) I think the true impact will not really be known until you have the correct sizing of the original decals set - which is probably the biggest job for the entire project. Hopefully, the kit sheet images I found will help that work go faster since multiple designs on one sheet will establish the absolute relative sizes of the decals (since most were from the AMT kits, all to the same scale.)

For my own parallel project, I will begin with creation of a 'psuedo-alphabet' such as used in several scenes in the movies to use when converting the original designs into facsimile 'real' graphics. For example, 'Champion' will become a company logo with a name in the psuedo-language. Fun!
R/ Robert

Robert,..

I'm sure you are correct on your assessment as to what graphics were used ie different models, with different sizes.

Typography point sizes are based on printing and readability being the main concern.
As these decals do not fit the last criteria,( ie readability) printing to achieve the correct "look" is the concern.

The Champion logo is a great example. The small text "champion spark plugs, what ever it really says" will muddy the look to the point of making the logo illegible.

Other than color and position. Consequently I'm electing to leave it off the logo in this case. IF we were doing the actual 5ft decals to size FOR a 5ft scale Falcon I would add the correct verbiage because it would be legible at that size. At less than an 1/8 in scale left to right, not so much. Same reason on some of the decals we do not know what they say (the yellow decal under the Pen. decal on the jaw box is an example.) I'm doing the text as a graphic instead of text as it will "look correct" at the reduced scale.

Yes the kit sheets are great. The moving logos in particular, much more accurate.:) which IS the goal after all.

Can you e mail me a copy of your latest logo spread sheet? I have a few Q? on some of the last graphics. I'll get into the particulars when I PM back.

I'm going to stick with your no# system as it is all ready started and I don't want to create any un necessary confusion at this point.

Concerning your psuedo-language:),.. REAL WARNING labels instead of "KANSAS",..

I could be wrong but I bet ILM used what is known as Lorem-Ipsum, it was/is a gibberish style text using english to represent type for type setting space /presentation prior to digital.

You could do text breaks, copy blocks, line spacing, text wrapping ect with it back in the day.

Example:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, gravida dolor lacus, enim pretium
leo, tellus quam erat nulla. Viverra ec eleifend in ipsum vulputate
ante odio, ante ornare sit wisi. Imperdiet purus
hendrerit dictumst lectus. Condimentum nascetur ultricies, es
t in leo commodo augue. Nulla proin sapien nec taciti semper.

Thks!

EM, concur on 'Champion' discussion. I may still attempt to ID any minor variations for documentation purposes. RE: latest spreadsheet, I am resending it to you now. RE: my 'conversion' project, of course it is already work that has been completed, at least over at Star Wars Wiki:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aurebesh
So, I don't have to come up with an 'alphabet' of my own! Excellent.
Regards, Robert

NEW info: Inverted block of text located on base of dish mount near the "3020" decal. Numbering it #87, the text is two lines, the top string character count - near as I can tell - is (left to right) 9_3_5_3 (underscores indicate spaces); bottom line is: 4_6 or 7_3_4

New decal #88 is a colored strip, mostly missing but appears to have been blue (by the end scraps) and had a cut section of a prorate board (decal #5) added as part of one appears in the strip area.

R/ Robert

Attachments

• no_87.jpg
    no_87.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 127
  • no_87_88_locator.jpg
    no_87_88_locator.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 163
  • no_88.jpg
    no_88.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 140
Hey, E!
More stuff you may or may not have worked on already; I will pop you an updated spreadsheet when I wrap up today (discard all prior editions of course...)
NEW: #89 & #90. #89 is the tattered red block on the upper port mandible, near the tip. #90 is the three 'button' group of 'grids' (I swear they look like tiny dashboard grills of a sort...) just inboard & forward of #89.

Attachments

• no_90.jpg
    no_90.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 102
  • no_89.jpg
    no_89.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 113
  • no_89_90_locator.jpg
    no_89_90_locator.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 108
EM, just in case I haven't covered this one well enough, the two #23 decals on the dish: the source is the AMT kit T500 California Hauler conventional truck with the 'Midnight Rider' decals: In the red-outlined orange rectangle are two vertical stacked alpha-numeric pairs in red, one on left reads (top to bottom) '4T', the one on right reads '68'. I've included images of the location, the kit decal, the decal on the MF and the AMT kit sheet itself.

Attachments

• no_23.jpg
    no_23.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 126
  • no_23_locator.jpg
    no_23_locator.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 136
  • no_23_source.jpg
    no_23_source.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 479
  • midniterider truck.JPG
    midniterider truck.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 185

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back