Identifying Dean Corso's bag from The Ninth Gate

If it is a first type you are indeed lucky, I have only seen one in twenty-five years of collecting. It was still attached to a first type bag which was so worn out that the linen fabric was looking white. The strap was in a much better shape and I bought it for such a ridiculously low price that I couldn't hope to find something cheaper.

If it is a first type you are indeed lucky, I have only seen one in twenty-five years of collecting. It was still attached to a first type bag which was so worn out that the linen fabric was looking white. The strap was in a much better shape and I bought it for such a ridiculously low price that I couldn't hope to find something cheaper.

I have a bag that has the first type of clasp/buckle. Unfortunately, the material of the strap is in terrible condition. Nice detail to be aware of though!

This is unfortunately not surprising, the first type was produced during only a couple of years and I suppose that, unlike the later ones, there wasn't much of these bags in stock and that most of them were lost / destroyed / worn out during the german invasion and later in POW camps.
It is rather likely that a a few militaria collectors must have some good condition early straps tied to their bags without being aware of their scarcity.

My bag has been getting a bit long in the tooth, so I ordered a new one from What Price Glory (Schipperfabriks remaining stock).
When I got my new bag, it was...different than the last one I got. This got me wondering. Which of these two colors is closest to the real thing and in the film?
At first it looks like its a bit on the lighter side. However, one of the best shots of the bag in the film(when the woman is digging in the bag while lying on the floor after having sex with Dean Corso) the bag looks muuuch darker and dirtier tan/khaki.
So, I wondered what all of my fellow Corso bag fans thought. Which bag in my pics look more correct to you?
20170330_152213.jpg
20170330_140845.jpg
20170330_140805.jpg
20170330_140654.jpg

Last edited:
I know it's the wrong thread, but I'm still trying to track down the illustration on the Balkan Lecture Lobb card. Must have spent another 13 hours last weekend, and even turned to Reddit trying to identify it! Still no luck!

Looks like poo!? What sort of post is that? Which one? What kind of poo? Animal source, wet...dry? Fossilized? Details!
Also, I forgot to mention that the new bags strap is woooefully short. Im not sure what happened there but at its longest adjusted length the bottom of the bag just barely reaches the bottom of my belt. I gotta find a new strap.

This bag looks like poo. Maybe human baby poo. Not a good choice for a replica prop unless you know of some way to change the color.

Johnny%20Depp%20Roman%20Polanski%20Ninth%20Gate%20L1.jpg

Its been so long since I had an original bag, I cant remember exactly how it looked colorwise. Im wondring which of the two Schipperfabriks are closer. Or is it simply one is too light and one is too dark. Neither being closer than the other? Damn....I reeeeaaally want an original bag again!
....~grumble-grumble~

My bag has been getting a bit long in the tooth, so I ordered a new one from What Price Glory (Schipperfabriks remaining stock).
When I got my new bag, it was...different than the last one I got. This got me wondering. Which of these two colors is closest to the real thing and in the film?
At first it looks like its a bit on the lighter side. However, one of the best shots of the bag in the film(when the woman is digging in the bag while lying on the floor after having sex with Dean Corso) the bag looks muuuch darker and dirtier tan/khaki.
So, I wondered what all of my fellow Corso bag fans thought. Which bag in my pics look more correct to you?

Hello.
To me the answer is simple : the darker version is the more appropriate one, the lighter one looking like a worn out original that would have spent 30 to 50 years in a barn with plenty of sunlight shining on it every day.
Several different colors were used to produce these bags. Some were directly linked to the contractor who produced them, and they were also evolutions probably caused by the use of lowest quality dyes when the 1935 musette was finally mass-produced.
The tone also probably evolved for the bags produced in the end of WW2 and the Indochina war.
From what I can tell there was at least three different shades : some of the most early mint bags I have seen were looking way more greenish than the later ones. The others seem to be split between a not so dark olive green color and an extremely dark shade of olive green, not far from the 1950 french army equipments.
There are rumors that before WW2 some of the 1935 bags were produced in " cachou " color, which is a bit hard to describe. That would look like a mix of brown and dark pink that would fade even faster than the khaki dye. I haven't seen yet such a bag, but if it existed and was rather worn out it would look a bit like your lighter bag, while bright green and olive version look yellow when moderately used, and like dry straw when severely worn out.
I would gladly post a picture of the musette I bought last year for a very low price in a garage sale, but I doubt that it would be really helpful has it was used many years ( of course not by me ) as a sidebag to carry fishing tools, and the original color is rather faded.

If you are interested to buy the HERO prop bag, I am the owner of the one used in the movie by JD.
As a HERO prop, make me serious offer in MP.

If you are interested to buy the HERO prop bag, I am the owner of the one used in the movie by JD.
Can you give some more info? How did it come in your posession? Do you have certificate to proof it's the hero bag? Etc...?

Can you give some more info? How did it come in your posession? Do you have certificate to proof it's the hero bag? Etc...?

From a long time I had Gilbert Pieri, the fx man of the 9th gate, as a friend and when he stop his job he contact me to know if I would be interested by props he used in many movies. I run to his factory and aquired some props and of course some of the 9th gate.

Weren't there multiple bags used in the film? I'm sure in this thread alone someone has pointed out differences between varying scenes. Been a while since I read through the thread though. There's even a scene that has an entirely different strap.

Hey everyone,

Thought I’d give this thread a bump. Newbie here, really interested in acquiring one of these bags, or at least a good repro of one - they still have some of the Schipperfabriks stock online but I’m unsure about it because I think it’s not the right colour? Is anyone able to point me in the right direction of any other available ones to purchase?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back