Kurtyboy's project updates: 24 July - More blasters

Project Updates 30 April - Sandtrooper Lewis Gun (Hyperfirm)

Anyway.......

As the old saying goes: "Why finish one project when you can just start another?"

I had a nice hyperfirm Lewis Gun years ago but was forced to sell a lot of stuff. Always wanted another one. Managed to get a very badly ("re" - it seems) cast Lewis Gun. Comes from a badly damaged mold with lots of issues and very bad seams.

lewis1.jpg

lewis2.jpg

lewis3.jpg

After trimming. Actually looks okay.... from a distance!
lewis4.jpg

Some hobby knife and Dremel work.
lewis5.jpg

This damage would just be too difficult to really clean up so I decided to cut inlays to cover it up.
lewis7.jpg

lewis8.jpg

lewis9.jpg

Got some advice from Robstyle to use Super (CA) Glue and activator spray for filling work.
lewis10.jpg

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
Re: Project Updates 25 April - MPP, Leia Rubies (there's a good reason), Nostromo bla

Looks like a lot of hard work to get this acceptable. Good luck.

Project Updates 30 April - Hyperfirm Sandtrooper Lewis Gun mods.

More work on old Lewis.

I didn't like the solid rear sight so I hollowed it out.
lewis11.jpg

lewis12.jpg

Also plan on adding the threaded rod and if I can find a suitable knurled thumbwheel I will replace the rubber one.
lewis13.jpg

Thumbwheel on real Lewis Gun rear sight.
lewis13b.jpg

The cocking handle was obviously filled before casting

lewis14.jpg

Real Lewis Gun cocking lever.
lewis15.jpg

I'm no machinist having only a few hand tools so I made a new one using what materials I had on hand.
lewis16.jpg

lewis17.jpg

lewis17b.jpg

Real Lewis Gun cocking lever.
lewis18.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Michael. Yeah, rubber is a nightmare to fill and sand/reshape. I should have tried to get a resin casting instead!

Looks like a lot of hard work to get this acceptable. Good luck.

Re: Project Updates 30 April - Hyperfirm Sandtrooper Lewis Gun mods.

I´m sure you can handle it - i know no other person that can put so much passion and patience on working stuff to get it right like you.

Maybe no fun with it (probably not), but at the end you will get it done.

The rubber is hard enough to fill and reshape (it's just not possible to get it as clean looking as you would resin), but the foam inside the rubber outer layer is impossible to clean up. So far the only thing to do seems to be to cover it up but that's not always possible.

I'm replacing the destroyed rubber sling rings with metal ones.
lewis22.jpg

Drilling out holes that were filled for casting.
lewis23.jpg

And probably a bad idea but trying to add the missing barrel radiator fins. I had to cut into the foam here and need to dig deeper, but my dremel flexible extension cable snapped.
lewis24.jpg

I will also replace as many rubber screws with real ones as possible. Looking forward to adding the sling (parts are on the way) and adding greeblies. I wish there were better reference photos out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

It was only while studying pictures of real Lewis Guns that I realized the block on the front clamp is supposed to be the front sight. Evidently too complex a shape to cast so they filled it before casting.

Carved the front sight into the rubber with a knife and dremel to round off the grooves.
lewis25.jpg

Real Lewis Gun front sight. Looks like the solid filled barrel also needs a bit more detail added.
lewis26.jpg

God this must be painstaking, it looks great!

Side question - what's your favorite filler/putty to use?

also, I may have picked up some clear diamond patterned light diffuser sheets, like on your ROTJ rifle scope, how'd you cut circles out of that?

I use Upol Quicksand for most filling. Sometimes Milliput if it's a larger area and needs to be sculpted. Neither are any good on rubber though :(

I cut my scope lenses roughly with a hacksaw (end up with an uneven octagonal shape) then file them down.

God this must be painstaking, it looks great!

Side question - what's your favorite filler/putty to use?

also, I may have picked up some clear diamond patterned light diffuser sheets, like on your ROTJ rifle scope, how'd you cut circles out of that?

About the best I can do with the highly inaccurate barrel shroud on these castings. The taper was obviously added since the shroud would be too thin to cast in rubber.

the radiator fins have been simulated with a decal.
lewis27.jpg

If I can find a metal or plastic tube the correct diameter it might be possible to gouge out the thick tapered wall and insert that for strength.

That looks great so far! That's one of my favorite blasters I'll have to get eventually.

Project Updates 6 May - MPP shroud wrinkle paint take two

Another attempt with a different brand of winkle paint. Definitely wrinkled this time but not quite right.
wrinkle1.jpg

wrinkle2.jpg

After curing in the oven and lightly sanding with 800 grit to remove the shine. DIY on the left, original on the right.
wrinkle4.jpg

Wild variations in the wrinkle paint even on original parts.
wrinkle5.jpg

wrinkle3.jpg

Re: Project Updates 6 May - MPP wrinkle paint

Looking great buddy.
The almost smooth shroud on the third MPP seems to be a close match to the hero ESB sabers emitter tip. You should consider switching these :thumbsup

Project updates 12 May - Hyperfirm Lewis Gun more mods.

Thanks Markus, I will swap the MPP shrouds over.

Some more detail work on the Lewis Gun. All the screws and hardware replaced with real ones and sling tested.
lewis28.jpg

lewis30.jpg

lewis31.jpg

lewis33.jpg

lewis32.jpg

And some progress with the Nostromo pistol. Markus is guiding me with the paintjob.

Some reshaping to the receiver cover here.
nostromo2.jpg

and here.
nostromo3.jpg

Ready for paint after three weeks of obsessive cleanup. It's perfect now!
nostromo4.jpg

Gunmetal base coat down.
nostromo5.jpg

Re: Project updates 12 May - Hyperfirm Lewis Gun more mods.

The Lewis is getting nicer. :thumbsup

As i said above - all Marcus needs is invest enough time to work on something, and he gets everything to shine. :D

Re: Project updates 12 May - Hyperfirm Lewis Gun more mods.

Great progress!

BTW...I just checked the buttplate on my Lewis cast and it doesn´t have any markings on it. So swapping it out to a metal plate should be a big improvement to the overall look ;)
What is your approach for the ribbed tubing abround the barrel housing? Found anything remotely close yet?

Project updates 11 June - Leia blasters and Hyperfirm Lewis Gun more mods.

Thank you guys. I did some more work on the Lewis Gun. Really gouged out a lot from the back of the barrel shroud so that a 3D printed piece of the radiator fins can be inserted. As well as 20mm deep I also cut out a chunk 10mm down so the added radiator fins will be behind the ledge.
lewis35.jpg

lewis36.jpg

lewis37.jpg

Although I can't make out any din plug on the original prop, I like the look of this Merr Sonn style scope.
lewis38.jpg

Leia blaster madness. From top to bottom: Resin Odiwan72 kit cast from real Margolin, real deactivated Margolin with vintage parts, lightweight Rubies conversion for my lifesize Leia display, resin cast from original RotJ. I may get another Odiwan72 kit and make a more idealized RotJ version.

leiaanh8.jpg

Coiled cable from vintage headphones, machined extension and compensator from Scottjua.
leiaanh7.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back