"Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?" Chewbacca Costume Build

Tom Walker

Hi everyone!

Everything is all Star Wars crazy lately and I wanted to make something to fit the hype.

I toyed with the idea of maybe a First Order Stormtrooper or a Kylo Ren helmet, but there is a lot out there already and I wanted to do something a little different.

So after much debating and pricing up of fabrics and materails, I found these carpets on sale for a steal!...

IMG_1072.jpg

...And was instantly reminded of Princess Leia's quote: "Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?"...

So Chewbacca it was!

I bought one to do a test with before going back to buy another nine. Haha...

IMG_1039.jpg

I had an old mold from a Deathstroke face-shell i made i while back, and though it would be a good base to build off of...

IMG_1040.jpg

...I then got creative and made a crude helmet out of EVA foam...

IMG_1041.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

...Then started hot gluing strips of the carpet onto the helmet. making sure the direction of the fur was all the same...

IMG_1044.jpg

...I really didn't know how this was going to look...

IMG_1046.jpg

Ta da!!! i was amazed with the results, and went and bought another nine carpets to do a full costume with. :lol

IMG_1062.jpg

I spent some time adding highlights and dark patches by brushing on thinned down acrylic paint and combing it in.
Then did some major styling with a comb and hairspray.

IMG_1063.jpg

This was really only a test mask, i might make another for the final costume, that has an opening mouth and teeth etc.

Now onto making the rest of the body!

Last edited:
Re: "Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?"

My friend, this is amazing work. I've seen many that missed the mark with better materials.
Simply remarkable.

Haha, amazing, what you did with some carpets. xD

Wow. Your test looks better than many people's final.

My friend, this is amazing work. I've seen many that missed the mark with better materials.
Simply remarkable.

Haha, amazing, what you did with some carpets. xD

Wow. Your test looks better than many people's final.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated! :D

I've started a bit of work on the body. After breaking 5 needles on my sewing machine, i decided to try hand sewing the carpets...

IMG_1080.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

Initially I wanted to make the body and legs an all in one piece, but due to limitations of the carpet I think i'm going to have to make it in two parts...

Sorry for the dark photos, will get some better ones when i've done some more tweaking.

I'm currently working on some ergonomic and low cost stilts...

IMG_1074.jpg

These are very much still a prototype, but the idea is there!

Is that last pic the platform to make you taller? Looks like a motorcycle shock. Nice home engineering!

Is that last pic the platform to make you taller? Looks like a motorcycle shock. Nice home engineering!

Thanks! It is indeed. It's a mountain bike shock, it's a little too strong in all fairness... I've got some weaker ones on the way.

I've been doing some work on the legs this weekend.

Still need to slim some parts down a bit and make some of the joins more seamless.

Also added some grey to the shoulders to see how it looked.

DSC_0293.jpg

I had to add a zip to the top half of the suit to make it easier to get on... So i tried to place it where the ammo belt sits, so that it'll be hidden.

DSC_0292.jpg

Next step is to do a bit of fur styling and build the new stilts!

Cool suit! have you considered getting clip in or glue in extensions sets that the ladies use sometimes?
you could grade the length out from the head down the body..could work..

Very creative, looking great so far.

Cool suit! have you considered getting clip in or glue in extensions sets that the ladies use sometimes?
you could grade the length out from the head down the body..could work..

Thanks guys!

Yeah i'm thinking about adding some longer bits around the neck to make more of a mane. Going to see how it looks with the ammo belt on first before i decide.

haven't done much on the fur parts this week, but have been working on the final stilts...

IMG_1147.jpg

I've made these ones out of aluminium... The prototype one was made of steel and was pretty damn heavy!

This is my first time welding aluminium so don't judge it too much (it's a lot trickier than steel!).

IMG_1148.jpg

Here's a CAD drawing i've done, of what i'm working towards...
Untitled-1.jpg

Love the wise wookiee look! gives it so much personality (forgive me if not the look your going for) Im looking to do a wookiee down the road too, im going for a bounty hunter vibe

Such a cool build. The work on the stilts alone is impressive.

Awesome work. That mask looks incredible. I love how seeing some clearance carpet led to this.

Love the wise wookiee look! gives it so much personality (forgive me if not the look your going for) Im looking to do a wookiee down the road too, im going for a bounty hunter vibe

Such a cool build. The work on the stilts alone is impressive.

Awesome work. That mask looks incredible. I love how seeing some clearance carpet led to this.

Any update?

Thanks guys, the feedback is really appreciated! :D

I'm just about done with the stilts (with a little bit of tweaking here and there)... And they handle like a dream! which is good.

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

I'm about 7' with them on (haven't measured properly yet) and just over with the head on.

Just working out the best way to cover them in fur now. I don't want my foot to be a big bulge on the leg half way down, and i don't want to make the legs like tree trunks... any suggestions would be awesome!

that came out amazing!

Thanks!

This weekend i got the fur out again.

I clad the stilts in EVA foam mats... Which i've made removable... (i can see me using these stilts for other costumes)

...and began gluing on the carpet.

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

The test fit was a success!

I'm still concerned that the feet are too big, but i'm gonna see what they look like with the rest of the suit on.

I did a quick height measure and i'm 6' 11" without the head, so should be just about right when it's all on!

I tried all the parts on!

As far as a trial suit up goes, I was pretty happy with how it looked so far... And the move-ability was pretty good too!

DSC_0314.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

DSC_0318.jpg

So, things to do next:

- I need to add more fur to the arms to make them seem longer.

- add padding to my shins to get rid of the concave knees.

- colour, comb and style the fur

- and sort out the back of the mask (obviously).

Lots to still be done... Stay tuned!

I was a little stumped on how to do the hands, as this fur doesn't have much length to it... so here's my test.

DSC_0466.jpg

DSC_0467.jpg

It's a painted lycra glove, with fur glued to the back of the fingers.

Still working on styling the fur on the rest of the suit. Pics to come soon!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back