The Definitive Peter Quill/Star-Lord Costume Thread

Ugh. Hi guys. I crawled in looking for pics because I'm on the last stages of building the trenchcoat for a client and I am at my wits' end with this damn thing.

I had to sacrifice a lot of accuracy for speed and price, but I'm still trying to get it as accurate as possible with what's available. I found pics early in the thread from August of the 6th scale fig from SDCC but got bogged down around page 20. Are there any good shots of the SIDE BACK of the trench? I feel like I keep following seams around from the front to the back of the costume and they're not lining up at all.

Between this and Avengers Cap I would like to go to Marvel's costuming department, find whoever designed these costumes, and beat them over the head with a roll of neoprene. Superfluous seams do not make something superheroey *********!

(at least I can tell most of the current commercially available/Chinese sweatshop versions of the trench are NOT accurate)

Are there any good shots of the SIDE BACK of the trench? I feel like I keep following seams around from the front to the back of the costume and they're not lining up at all.

You never get a clear in-focus shot of the back and right side in the film. The only way to get there is by studying the intro sequence frame by frame. I usually bring images into Photoshop and brighten them up. This helps a little, but most of the time video compression will have killed all the details that were in shadow. You're likely having a hard time following the seams and panels because they do in fact zig-zag all around and none of them are a straight horizontal or perpendicular line. Even the hemline is rather complicated when you start to look at it. Then you start to look at the actual seams and your mind really begins to crack. Double-stitching, cross-stitching, reverse-sewing, open-edge seams... they used just about everything they could! As far as I can tell, the Hot Toys comes close in terms of seams/pattern but even that isn't perfect.

Ugh. Hi guys. I crawled in looking for pics because I'm on the last stages of building the trenchcoat for a client and I am at my wits' end with this damn thing.

I had to sacrifice a lot of accuracy for speed and price, but I'm still trying to get it as accurate as possible with what's available. I found pics early in the thread from August of the 6th scale fig from SDCC but got bogged down around page 20. Are there any good shots of the SIDE BACK of the trench? I feel like I keep following seams around from the front to the back of the costume and they're not lining up at all.

Between this and Avengers Cap I would like to go to Marvel's costuming department, find whoever designed these costumes, and beat them over the head with a roll of neoprene. Superfluous seams do not make something superheroey *********!

(at least I can tell most of the current commercially available/Chinese sweatshop versions of the trench are NOT accurate)

Hopefully you will find these reference shots helpful. :thumbsup I'd love to see pics of your finished coat!

longcoat.jpg

Attachments

• longcoat.jpg
    longcoat.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 221
Thanks Soulertina - I have two of those but I'll study the other two just in case. Unfortunately, between the shoulder pauldron and the bag, all the parts I really need to see are always covered (and dark and out of focus, yep, GRR).

I've been using the Hot Toys as my detail reference because I assumed it came the closest to the screen used, but seeing the shots way back in the thread of the screen used I can see that even that isn't correct so...guess I'm making it up as I go! Thanks, both of you, and everyone in this thread.

I have to finish it as best as possible for the Madison Comic Con next week, so I'll toss up some shots then. If I brained anything that can help others building their own, I'll share. Hopefully I can get to the con and snap a pic of my client wearing it, too.

I picked up the cosplaysky trench from another member, and it is definitely in need of some modifications. First up was the terrible vinyl should pauldron and forearm bracer.

trench_zps0eaf4ns3.jpg

I removed them from the jacket and separated all of the pieces. I then used them as templates and created new pieces using worbla. They came out great! Now I just need to add in some details and create the Ravager symbol on the pauldron, then paint and weather.

20150128_170249_zps3lo0da2f.jpg

20150129_132808_zpswqdpev05.jpg

20150129_132819_zpsbmsv16rx.jpg

I picked up the cosplaysky trench from another member, and it is definitely in need of some modifications. First up was the terrible vinyl should pauldron and forearm bracer.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/wkevingossett/trench_zps0eaf4ns3.jpg

I removed them from the jacket and separated all of the pieces. I then used them as templates and created new pieces using worbla. They came out great! Now I just need to add in some details and create the Ravager symbol on the pauldron, then paint and weather.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/wkevingossett/20150128_170249_zps3lo0da2f.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/wkevingossett/20150129_132808_zpswqdpev05.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h33/wkevingossett/20150129_132819_zpsbmsv16rx.jpg

What the hell is Worbla? Is that something one could create some boot covers from? Looks like it could work.

Hey there everyone looking for a Star-Lord jacket!

I purchased the short version Chris Pratt wears for most of the film from CosplaySky. It's faux leather, but the construction is pretty decent and it appears to be more screen-accurate than others out there. I think I paid $150 total, which included shipping. The color is WAY TOO TOMATO RED, but I've been slowly staining it with liquid Rit Dye, specifically the color called 'Wine.' It fits the darker maroon color of the film. I'm also planning to weather it some more with black for the creases and to somehow create a faux snake skin pattern. The only part I haven't solved yet is the gradation on the back from orange to maroon, but a little bleach MAY make that look right... I'll post some pics in the next few days to help out those still looking for a jacket or those who are still undecided.

A good way to do a cheap'n'cheerful replica jacket would be to get a twill jacket (like a denim jacket) and dye it red as a starting point. Use plastidip or something on the arms- maybe roll them with thick latex to get a leather-like texture like when you're making a Batman cape. (Or get one of the cosplay places to make one for you with a body out of denim.) You can easily use some bleach to get the orange weathering (or just use an acrylic rattle can of spray paint). Use clear spray paint and a stencil (such as a metal sheet with holes) to do the gloss pattern effect (even an inaccurate pattern would still be more like the real jacket than a perforated leather body). You can even mask off the areas where there is no pattern. Do the embossing yourself as well... it's not too hard and a couple folks here have shown how it's done.

I've seen airsofters do something like this to put patterns on their gear. They used netting that when stretched, the holes were triangular. I wish I remember what kind, it would have been a perfect make-do pattern.

Hey there everyone looking for a Star-Lord jacket!

I purchased the short version Chris Pratt wears for most of the film from CosplaySky. It's faux leather, but the construction is pretty decent and it appears to be more screen-accurate than others out there. I think I paid $150 total, which included shipping. The color is WAY TOO TOMATO RED, but I've been slowly staining it with liquid Rit Dye, specifically the color called 'Wine.' It fits the darker maroon color of the film. I'm also planning to weather it some more with black for the creases and to somehow create a faux snake skin pattern. The only part I haven't solved yet is the gradation on the back from orange to maroon, but a little bleach MAY make that look right... I'll post some pics in the next few days to help out those still looking for a jacket or those who are still undecided.

The ebay sellers cloned that one, darker color. Was considering getting one, since it's more accurate than my "slim fit" jacket.

Not sure if this photo has been posted but the jacket looks really accurate, anyone know anything about it? Sorry if I missed it being posted!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422900511.362008.jpg

Oh right, was it exclusive or limited edition or can it still be bought? And is it just me or is this the most accurate jacket out there?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back