The Expanse: Prop Weapons - Measurements

Measurements:

IMG_2013.JPGIMG_2011.JPGIMG_2009.JPGIMG_2003.JPGIMG_2004.JPG

PROGRESS on Resin kit:

IMG_2021.JPGIMG_2020.JPGIMG_2019.JPG

Coming along . . . . .

Gordon

Re: The Expanse: Prop Weapons

That's what I was thinking, about the bullets in the Rhino. They appear to be segmented displays showing red and green ... markings. I'd guess that relates to an electrical charge of some kind, suggesting that it is a railgun, perhaps? Totally baseless speculation on my part. I've never read the books, but I hear on Reddit that they state that bullets are plastic in the Expanse.

Note also that the CPM pistols are the full-auto version, not the semi-auto version.

I'm done capping the last two eps. Got a few more glimpses of the Protogen pistols and grenade launchers. I'll be sorting and retouching caps tonight.

-MJ

Mike,

I see you put the photos with the ruler to good use! I am still tooling parts. Luckily everything is falling into place with your measurements as best I can. The bottom slide cover actually slides on and off the model if you wanted to augment the pistol with a light or laser. Who knows how they will dress the props of the second season. We should see Tycho security shock troops facing off with the ProtoGEN mercs at some point backing Holden and his band of renegades getting to the bottom of whom murdered the people of Eros. Miller is likely to settle some scores with the Rhino : ) !!!

Gordon

Thanks for the measurements, Gordon. I'm glad everything is close.

Attached are the best pics I could get of the Protogen pistol.

Attachments

• shot0136.png
    shot0136.png
    695.2 KB · Views: 331
  • shot0136-A.png
    shot0136-A.png
    210.9 KB · Views: 319
  • shot0132.png
    shot0132.png
    548 KB · Views: 313
  • shot0129.png
    shot0129.png
    289.8 KB · Views: 281
  • shot0114.png
    shot0114.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 285
  • shot0110-C.png
    shot0110-C.png
    153 KB · Views: 319
  • shot0110-B.png
    shot0110-B.png
    401.4 KB · Views: 311
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 1.43.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 1.43.56 AM.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 1.43.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 1.43.45 AM.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 267

Thanks for the measurements, Gordon. I'm glad everything is close.

Attached are the best pics I could get of the Protogen pistol.

I just figured out what that is !!! It is shell over a MAGPUL PTS FPG !!! AND - I will have the Measurements - because I have one. : )

Mike the Screen Caps ROCK !!! - and they took the stock off to make it a pistol. You were right. As usual !!!

airsoft_MP_FPG_B.jpgairsoft_MP_FPG_A.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

What do you think? Carry handle removes - slap a couple of Extra pieces and BAM !! High Tech Merc Gun !!!

Gordon

By Jove, I think he's got it!

The 'cheek rest' seems to be exactly the same. The proportions and angles appear the same. The top rail on the 'real' one would explain the oddly angled top of the props; they just covered the rail, put some sheets of etched plastic on the sides.

Good eye!

Well with the advent of Mike's measurements - I went for tear down and rebuild gun sight - AGAIN - and added length. I have the details on the bottom portion - work in progress. I sheared to Hex screws to put on the bottom plate of the under side rail cover.

I have to put the top gun sight back together - putty and sand - then cut out the bottom section to add the rib detail in the center.

Here are some work in progress pics. This is a work of love and want each detail to be personally satisfying.

IMG_2023.JPGIMG_2024.JPGIMG_2025.JPG

Thanks Mike for the Measurements! : )

Halfway decent refs for the top of the MCRN pistols, from the Pachinko Parlor scene (in black and white here), plus all the other decent caps I could get from the last 2 eps.

Attachments

• shot0090.png
    shot0090.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 314
  • shot0079.png
    shot0079.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 294
  • shot0076.png
    shot0076.png
    415.9 KB · Views: 274
  • shot0075.png
    shot0075.png
    286 KB · Views: 258
  • shot0074.png
    shot0074.png
    288.5 KB · Views: 275
  • shot0058a.jpg
    shot0058a.jpg
    504.1 KB · Views: 285
  • shot0044.png
    shot0044.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 297
  • shot0042.png
    shot0042.png
    468.5 KB · Views: 287

The flash light arm bracket and the envro UI are slightly larger due to me wanting to use my I phone 6 as the UI.

Also here are the harnesses they use for the space suits if anyone is interested. IMG_4051.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

here are the two types of Belter harnesses I have seen on the show.51CJCxXVRpL.jpg

Ulric, are you basing it off any one particular suit? Because I have some caps of the suits from the Scopuli and the Xing Long, if the photos of the P&K suits aren't enough.

Mike - the measurements have proved to be invaluable. I had to remake the parts but everything is proving more accurate. The screen caps of the Martian pistol are awesome. As soon as I mold the parts for the helix - I will be starting the Martian pistol.

Does anyone on the forum do a "how to" thread on making the two part molding - getting the seam right in the middle? When I cast the Martian pistol in will be in one main pistol - ans then the attachments. I will seal off the magazine well as in the screen caps. i just want the best mold possible. The Martian pistol is soon cool and the textures on the airsoft make a clean seam problematic.

Thanks.

Gordon

A quick primer on molding for resin casting? I don't do that myself, but a search for 'molding tutorial' or 'silicone mold making' may point you in the right direction, either here or on Google.

Alternatively, you could ask some of the guys here who make a lot of molds & casts for some kind of beginners' website. Matsuo, Rick Ross (Doppelganger01), Kenny (KCPStudio), they're all notorious for high quality cast resin firearms. Be clear that you're not asking for their whole careers' worth of experience in 5 minutes, but a good 3rd party site for beginners (or whatever).

-MJ

If I were looking for the knowledge of casting a clean seem line on a gun. I would go to morganthirteen. the dude cast some seriously nice guns. he may have a few minute's to spare. very nice guy.

Last edited:

So I found the Backpack used as the baseline for Holden's crews space suits.28Sbecw.jpgogio_no_drag_mach3_backpack_white_detail.jpg

Does anyone have an idea what the space helmets are based off of. Seeing the amount of repurposed parts I am assuming the faceted helmet is based off a welders mask or BMX helmet. Any thoughts???

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the baseline Concept art and final actual prop as seen from the SyFy site. 160202_NorthFront_Expanse_CanterburyCrew4443.jpg

That would be great yes please send them along. Also I am really hitting a wall on the helmet. Any suggestions where to look? Worst case Ill design one in Solidworks and print it but like most of the rest of the costume they are based off an existing helmet. I mean I stumbled upon the back pack looking for the Martian version.

If I were looking for the knowledge of casting a clean seem line on a gun. I would go to morganthirteen. the dude cast some seriously nice guns. he may have a few minute's to spare. very nice guy.

Shawn Morgan did teach me how to mold everything I know from the very first cast. He walked me through the process on the phone for hours. That is how I got to where I am. I have seen his molds - He explained the importance of a good tight seal - wood frame - carefully claying up the process - studs to keep the mold aligned - but he could not impart HOW he does such a perfect job on smoothing the seam unless he painstakingly takes endless patience and time to achieve the perfect alignments and edge. Casting is an art. He is the Rembrandt to casting.

I could could see someone do it - I could figure it out. Shawn talked to me on the phone (several years back now.) To bad we didn't Skype. : )

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back