The Expanse: Props & Found Parts

Fantastic work! Those really turned out nicely. You did an amazing job with them.
Gotta admit. I'm a little jealous. ;)

Terry

Re: The Expanse: Prop Weapons

OK, the new tac-light is the LaserTac subcompact combo green laser & flashlight. Retail is $130 US.

-MJ
For the Martian Pistol Tac light, here is a knock off on sale with a 15% off coupon for $33 on Amazon

1644088552627.png

After binge watching all 6 seasons for the first time I knew there was one ubiquitous prop I really wanted to make.
I just finished my Belter Hand Terminal.
It has the same "slap band" led circuit inside with the on and flash mode. I had to de-solder the blue LED and replace it with a yellow SMT one which was a really fiddly job but I got there in the end.
I may print out a graphic for the display but for I'm happy that this is a set accurate prop.

After binge watching all 6 seasons for the first time I knew there was one ubiquitous prop I really wanted to make.
I just finished my Belter Hand Terminal.
It has the same "slap band" led circuit inside with the on and flash mode. I had to de-solder the blue LED and replace it with a yellow SMT one which was a really fiddly job but I got there in the end.
I may print out a graphic for the display but for I'm happy that this is a set accurate prop.
Would you be up for sharing the template?

Look like orange bracelets available

EDIT: Nevermind, found em on Thingverse

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220305-181841_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220305-181841_Samsung Internet.jpg
    532.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I am currently re-watching the show, and got in the mood to try my hands at a paper prop. It's the code word sheet Alex pulls from the Roci's operations locker.
01 Donkey Balls.png

Here's what I have cobbled together so far. I am still fiddling around with the spacing of the respective text blocks.

Donkey Balls 03.png

As far as the fonts go, I used one called "Federation" for the actual code words, and I think it is a near enough match.

However, I am pretty certain that the "COMMAND STAFF ONLY" line has the wrong font. The one I used is "Flexi-IBM-VGA-False", and it is quite close - except for the "D".
Can anyone identify the font they actually used?

I am currently re-watching the show, and got in the mood to try my hands at a paper prop. It's the code word sheet Alex pulls from the Roci's operations locker.View attachment 1613795

Here's what I have cobbled together so far. I am still fiddling around with the spacing of the respective text blocks.

As far as the fonts go, I used one called "Federation" for the actual code words, and I think it is a near enough match.

However, I am pretty certain that the "COMMAND STAFF ONLY" line has the wrong font. The one I used is "Flexi-IBM-VGA-False", and it is quite close - except for the "D".
Can anyone identify the font they actually used?

Here's the one I did a couple of years ago, I don't know if the font is correct, but it looks closer than yours. I can check back on my files, but I just arrived for two week's holiday in Portugal, and the files are on an external drive at home. Can check when I get back if helpful? I do recall the other font I used is Aldrich, as I used it on many Expanse props.

polyglottal.jpg

Can check when I get back if helpful? I do recall the other font I used is Aldrich, as I used it on many Expanse props.
Thank you for the Aldrich font tip!

There is no hurry, though. I am still pondering whether at all I will turn this into a physical prop, and how.

Last edited:
Here's the one I did a couple of years ago, I don't know if the font is correct, but it looks closer than yours. I can check back on my files, but I just arrived for two week's holiday in Portugal, and the files are on an external drive at home. Can check when I get back if helpful? I do recall the other font I used is Aldrich, as I used it on many Expanse props.

View attachment 1613845

I have looked at the COMMAND STAFF font for a while now, and I don't think your and mine hit it on the nail. It seems that, if one would mix our both choices, that would be pretty much spot on.

The "A" has a distinct shape that is close to my version, but overall, the letters are straightforward, without all the serifing about of mine. Like in the font you used.

mand staff 01.png

Which means more font hunt! :)

Update:
I may have come across the correct font for CO MAND STAFF ONL. It seems to be "ProFontWimdows", and it appears to be a match.

CO_MAND STAFF ONL_.png

Following Murphy's Law, of course, the only letter that is very hard to identify in the screen capture is the "Y", but from what I can glean from other screengrabs, this seems to be it.

So, for the moment, this is how my code word sheet looks like, after adjusting the spacing as well:

Donkey Balls 00 - FINAL.png

(sighs)
So, obviously, it couldn't have been that easy. I have found another font, "ModeNine", that seems to be more accurate. It seems to have the right "M", "S" and "N".
This is how it looks in context:

Donkey Balls 00 - FINAL-ModeNine.png

Really nice work. It looks great guys. Bear in mind that some times the graphics dept on show like this will take an existing font, set the type, then convert it to outlines and modify the font here and there. They also create their own fonts. So you may not find an exact match.

Really nice work. It looks great guys. Bear in mind that some times the graphics dept on show like this will take an existing font, set the type, then convert it to outlines and modify the font here and there. They also create their own fonts. So you may not find an exact match.
Ah, thanks, Noeland, I probably needed that. I was half-way back to those font websites again... :)

Thats what I wanted to know.
Keep an eye on the junkyard, or prepare to try for an original in the up-coming propstore auction?
I know I dont stand a chance, but I can dream.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back