New McFly jean jacket replica!

So who makes the best replica jacket right now?

Technically right now HeadGoonie. But Magnoli Clothiers is updating theirs. I have given some tips to Indy to make theirs better, so we can't tell just yet. That reminds me. @Indy Magnoli, With going back to my old jacket project, the elastic waist only has one stitch line going through the middle making two sections instead of the usual three we see in most jackets. It's also a little bit thinner than most elastic waistbands. The picture I have above is a completely removed waist. You can see the dark blue strip at the top which is where it was inside that jacket and sewn there.

This picture of pretty much the best replica made to date has a very similar waistband. It looks like it is just one section without any stitching.
jacket1.jpg

This Guess jacket also has it.

Last edited:
If it works on the areas not already faded then I will lightly do it to the main areas of the jacket to get to the shade I want. I will then take it to a tailor to replace the shoulder parts and pockets made from a cheap Guess jacket I bought made completely out of the right color blue denim. I'm still searching for replacement buttons for when that happens as you cannot reuse buttons if you take them off. Once I have the jacket on hand I will measure the buttons, so I know what size I need. The last thing I want to do is shorten the elastic waist. I believe HG took design choices from the wrong Guess jacket and made the waist too big. The screen used jacket also had a different kind of elastic waist. It wasn't as scrunchy looking if that makes sense. So I will remove one strip section from the bottom of the elastic. The screen used jacket also did not have two snaps at the bottom, so I will fix that as well. I will post pictures explaining things once my internet isn't so slow.

Here is my scrapped jacket project. I had the correct elastic waist. You can see that it has two sections while HG has three and you can see what I was saying about it being less scrunchy.

Sounds good to me. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Is it the lighting, or is the blue a bit lighter on shoulder and pocket parts? Will you make them a little more blue to? Is there something you can use for that? Either way, it's closer to the real colours. Nice work so far :cool

Sounds good to me. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Is it the lighting, or is the blue a bit lighter on shoulder and pocket parts? Will you make them a little more blue to? Is there something you can use for that? Either way, it's closer to the real colors. Nice work so far :cool
Are you talking about the jacket project in the post i was talking about the waist? If you are, that project has been scrapped for some time now. That picture is actually photoshoped a little. That jacket had some slits in it where the original pockets went. The square pockets on Guess jackets are actually very rare. I've only seen hem on 3 jackets. You can see the chest area is a blurry.

Are you talking about the jacket project in the post i was talking about the waist? If you are, that project has been scrapped for some time now. That picture is actually photoshoped a little. That jacket had some slits in it where the original pockets went. The square pockets on Guess jackets are actually very rare. I've only seen hem on 3 jackets. You can see the chest area is a blurry.

Ahhh right, I see! Yes, I've got you now. I thought you may continue with your project one too.

Is this the same jacket that headgoonie has had or is it an updated version?

I just recently sent them a message and this is the one they showed me they they had in stock....

I really like the way this jacket looks, been thinking about getting it even if the colors might not be truly screen accurate.

Is this the same jacket that headgoonie has had or is it an updated version?

I just recently sent them a message and this is the one they showed me they they had in stock....

[url]http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/albertr213/E3F22FFC-5538-45CB-AB03-7F647DADD02B_zpsshtha14h.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad268/albertr213/3C28AF0E-605F-4067-9B77-E345D5FBA9C1_zpsnjg6bjbv.jpg[/URL]

I really like the way this jacket looks, been thinking about getting it even if the colors might not be truly screen accurate.

Yes that is their current jacket. It is pretty good. If my experiments are successful you may want to try my methods to get the colors accurate.

Does anybody here have one of the headgoonie jackets? Not sure if I should try and get a Medium or a Large.

I have a new HeadGoonie jacket. It is really nice. Well made and nice details. The blue is a little off on the shoulders and pockets, but I'm waiting on @MitasTouch to do the fading. Hopefully then we can see if we can get it to a lighter blue. HeadGoonies jacket is by far the best jacket out there and I'm very pleased with mine. Size wise, I'm normally between a small to medium most of the time. I went with the medium, as they don't do small in
this jacket. The medium fits me well though, with still a little bagginess to
it, which is what Marty has. When I asked about sizing, here was the size guide they sent me. Hope it helps you.

Medium Chest/114cm Shoulder/50cm body length/65.7cm sleeve length/64cm
Large Chest/116cm Shoulder/51cm body length/67.7cm sleeve length/66cm
XL Chest/120cm Shoulder/52cm body lenght/69.7cm sleeve length/68cm

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be home in 4 days. I will be able to start the experiments shortly after. I cant just put in the washer and use the fast fade because of the liner, so i will have to do it all by hand if it works. And like I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a jacket made of the correct blue color, so that won't need to be faded. The jacket will eed to vetaken to a tailor to have the respective pieces replaced. I still need to source matching buttons though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! That does help. I am also usually either a Medium or Small so I'm confident the Medium will be a good fit vs the Large.

Do you have any pics of your jacket you could share?

Thanks for the info! That does help. I am also usually either a Medium or Small so I'm confident the Medium will be a good fit vs the Large.

Not yet. I shipped it back home which I will be there on Saturday. If you have a pair of high waist jeans you can look at a picture of MJF and see where the jacket falls and see which size goes down to where it should with a measuring tape or ruler. I bought a pair of high waist skinny jeans from Guess a few weeks ago. They should fit, but there is only one way to see.
Here is a good image
mcfly-vest_vert-d8242684d5fce6a8e06361914e879fa2cc54fa18.jpg

Haha sorry that post was aimed at maton asking for pictures of the jacket he has, although once you get yours I'd also be interested in seeing some pictures of it!

Not yet. I shipped it back home which I will be there on Saturday. If you have a pair of high waist jeans you can look at a picture of MJF and see where the jacket falls and see which size goes down to where it should with a measuring tape or ruler. I bought a pair of high waist skinny jeans from Guess a few weeks ago. They should fit, but there is only one way to see.
Here is a good image

Last edited by a moderator:

You're welcome. Sure! Sorry for the late reply.
image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

That looks really great! Love it. Definitely will be trying to get my hands on one of them.

Reminds me of this particular photo of...

Do you have any other headgoonie stuff? I'm thinking of getting their vest too if they still have it available.

You're welcome. Sure! Sorry for the late reply.

That looks really great! Love it. Definitely will be trying to get my hands on one of them.
Reminds me of this particular photo of...
Do you have any other headgoonie stuff? I'm thinking of getting their vest too if they still have it available.

Ahhh yes, that's a cool picture! :cool

Yes, the vest is cool! I have had the opportunity to buy a head goonie vest in the past, but I was never sure just how close the colour was to the real thing, so I have never picked one up. It always seemed a little too orange to me. Shape wise and look though it's quite good. I believe they still have them. The jacket is the only HeadGoonie item I have at the moment, but I do like their clothes in general. Fun Goonies stuff too! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back