Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Concept art has a definitive meaning to me. Some of these pics look like actual CGI screen grabs. More specifically, one of the ATAT base pics looks blurred like the camera is following the speeder bike into the base. The Stormtroopers standing around in front of the TIE also looks like a CGI screen grab.

So two school of thoughts: 1) They are really concept art made on a computer. 2) They are actual scenes...works in progress pulled from production.

Im only referring to the above mentioned pictures. The rest are obviously traditional concept drawings.

I flew the writer, the same writer from ESB and ROTJ. He was mum on details. I showed him the leaked picture of the Stormtrooper helmet. "The suit is just as beautiful!' Was his only comment.

It is possible that some of the concept art might have been done on the computer with Photoshop or Painter, another possibility is that some of the concept art is not really concept art but animatics/pre-viz work meant to work as sort of an animated storyboard to help the director get an idea of how to film a certain scene or how it might look. The quality of a pre-viz would be fairly low quality with the emphasis being more on the motion of everything in the scene and the camera as well so that could possibly account for why some of it looks like CG and blurry.

- - - Updated - - -

Rice, do you work for Defence News or Janes Information Group? Just kidding!!!

Nah, I just read a lot of those types of sites as well as a lot of books on planes when I was younger.

There are so many links here to the rumours and set pictures that I don’t see how anyone could doubt these are legitimate leaks from the production.
BUT, these are CONCEPT pictures. If you want an idea just how radically they can differ from what you’ll end up with, buy “The Art of Guardians of the Galaxy” and then compare it to what you get in the film.
Its already clear there are several variations pictured here of Daisy’s POD ship seen under the AT-AT and flying across the desert, but it does help to confirm the AT-AT home base (and that foot we've see in the production stills).The Tie crash site picture matches the crater reportedly seen over there as well as does the starship scrapyard. So that part of the story does seem fairly accurate, and I really love the way they have continued so strongly with the "used" universe theme of the originals, which ties in with the continued war. But given the likely pace of a JJ film we 've really only glimpsed a small part of the overall story I think. And Just recheck those Star Trek films to get a refreshed idea on just how action packed and varied this is likely to be. Afterall, they are the reason he probably got the gig, that and his huge love of Star Wars of course!
It’s also fairly clear now that a lot of the real life shooting is being combined with a fair amount of CGI but the beauty here is that they have seemingly restricted it to the areas where the old traditional matt paintings or models would have be been used anyway, as in the originals. Again ,given the success this has had in other recent film releases, I can only say this massively improves the overall look for me. All the use of natural and large stage sets will help to make the film footage look VERY authentic to the original SW aesthetic. There is no doubt now that this, coupled with the soundtrack, the returning cast from the originals , the designs we've seen and the continuation and inclusion of the Empire is going to be stunningly like the OT .
I do hear what people are saying about the spoiler content, but, lets face it once the trailer hits all this is going to look fairly minor. And if you can resist seeing THAT, well then, the force must be incredibly strong in you. And if anything I find what we have seen here hugely reassuring and even more exciting than I had hoped for.
Also here’s another interesting snippet of news. Welcome to the UK ILM!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/oct/15/industrial-light-magic-uk-studio-star-wars-film

PS Its interesting to note the Falcon here has the old style dish ( not the rectangle ) in the concept pics. And some people have noted that there are alot of cyborgs in this. Given that there seems to have been a protracted civil war that is still on going, there are going to be a LOT of injured people who have lost limbs to lazers and energy weapons in the fighting, so yes it makes sense to see a great number of cyborg replacement limbs. Again there is that great feeling of a worn and tired galaxy, exhausted from all the decades of combat!

Last edited:

thats too cool! glad to have him back! I bet he is thrilled! personally, I'd rather not an ewok visit... hope he's cast as something else.

although the concept art did show "someone" acquiring " a special "something" and it can only be had on the moon of Endor so this would lead me to think ewoks would have a scene and a reason to be in the film.... could work...

Last edited:

thats too cool! glad to have him back! I bet he is thrilled! personally, I'd rather not an ewok visit... hope he's cast as something else.

although the concept art did show "someone" acquiring " a special "something" and it can only be had on the moon of Endor so this would lead me to think ewoks would have a scene and a reason to be in the film.... could work...

I have ZERO issue with an Ewok cameo.

Chief Wicket?

Guy's been through some crap... With those Ewok Adventure movies, He's a war vet now. 30 years have passed, he'd be running that camp.

I would shamelessly be ALL over that appearance. Sorry guys. I was a kid when Jedi came out.

I have ZERO issue with an Ewok cameo.

Chief Wicket?

Guy's been through some crap... With those Ewok Adventure movies, He's a war vet now. 30 years have passed, he'd be running that camp.

I would shamelessly be ALL over that appearance. Sorry guys. I was a kid when Jedi came out.

I'm with ya, dude. Ewoks are alright in my book. I don't really care to see an entire movie around Ewoks, but they're far more tolerable than Ja- ya know what... I can't even bring myself to say his name.

with all this news, now where does Supposed main villain Adam Driver fit in same as what or who is Andy Serkis?

Concept art is like concept cars...when I saw the Volt I thought to myself "now, that's an electric car I would like to drive, 'cause it looks cool!" Then I saw what the design became and I lost interest right away "oh, now it looks like a Toyota":confused Lots of concept are just that, never to be seen on screen.

Just saw a fairly sizable collection of (supposed) leaked episode 7 concept art. I will say, SPOILER WARNING, because it matches up with a lot of the latest rumors and descriptions I've heard of leaked concept art. There's a pretty good chance these are real in my opinion, so look at your own discretion.That said:

Holy Sith, these look amazing and I want to see a trailer now!

https://imageshack.com/user/themillenniumfalcon

I can't see the images in the link, are they taken down? Anyone have them somewhere I can see?

Concept art is like concept cars...when I saw the Volt I thought to myself "now, that's an electric car I would like to drive, 'cause it looks cool!" Then I saw what the design became and I lost interest right away "oh, now it looks like a Toyota":confused Lots of concept are just that, never to be seen on screen.

I disagree. A lot of concept art from the OT looks just like what is on screen.

Ben

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back