Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
CessnaDriver said:
And thanks greatly for this insider dope, deeply appreciated, I really don't think you are Buzz Killington. ;)

No worries at all. My buddies were just having a great laugh at all the crazy off-base speculation that resulted from that teaser, which I'm as guilty of as anybody.

I'll say this much: from what I'm hearing, this may likely be the riskiest and most different Trek yet, in similar ways that nuBSG was to the original show. At the very least, there's some great talent being assembled to work on the show, veterans of some of our most beloved shows, and I have high hopes for what may come.

I have some friends and colleagues working on the show, and I can confirm that this was put together REALLY quickly (as in MUCH less time than anybody thinks) for Comic-con. Everything we're seeing is very much conceptual and early work in progress.
It is indeed a new vfx shop getting put together, and they are hiring up people who worked on the previous shows.
As I heard it, the only significance to the "1031" registry number is that somebody likes Halloween.
All of the conjecture about the ship design, the registry number, font styles, and trying to figure out things such as the time period based on this stuff is totally off-base, however amusing.

Ha! That means we probably know they same 10 or so Lightwave users in town :)
I've been thinking about applying but I'd like to find out what the actual production schedule is.

Last edited by a moderator:
mash3d said:
Ha! That means we probably know they same 10 or so Lightwave users in town :)
I've been thinking about applying but I'd like to find out what the actual production schedule is.

There's at least 12 of them... :)

I'm actually a 3ds Max and Maya guy, but I just got an email from them today about applying.

I you guys need somebody to give the ship a final sign-off of approval, I volunteer my services. :angel

^^^THIS GUY HERE^^^
I would love that!

Mr. Tate is a fan's fan and knows his stuff and wouldn't spill any beans early either.
Many of us have observed his expert observations for many years on several forums, AND he knows his real space tech too.

Hear hear. "experts", fans and people in general want the show to be the best it can be.
If the powers to be takes all the help it can get, then all the better, maybe, possibly...... :p

Well from a casual fan I can say this....

I never liked any of the ships from Next Gen on,one of the things about the original ships I liked was the saucer,UFO type design,they just attached more to it.

This new one is nice,it calls back to the old 1960's ships and that's cool so I hope they stick with that and honestly stick with the original show's story style and get away from the whole PC nonsense of the Next Gen and on shows.

And again I'm a fan of "Nu-Trek" and it's the only reason I'll look at new trek stuff at all.

I thought Worf was now the Federation Ambassador to Qo'noS. That seemed like the ideal job for him. Would he leave that post to be a captain?

last i remember, yeah, i think so.

I never saw him as the ambassador type. it would seem too boring for a klingon ;o)

Last edited by a moderator:
last i remember, yeah, i think so.

I never saw him as the ambassador type. it would seem too boring for a klingon ;o)

Nemesis showed him back in Starfleet post DS9. No explanation onscreen. Apparently they asked Michael Dorn, and he picked uniform over Ambassadorial Robes.

Nemesis showed him back in Starfleet post DS9. No explanation onscreen. Apparently they asked Michael Dorn, and he picked uniform over Ambassadorial Robes.

Iirc, they sort of glossed over the reason why he was back by having begin to explain why but before you get a chance to hear what he says the mic is turned down on him so comes out faint and mumbled while the mic is now focused on Picard(?) who is in the foreground. Thus they explain it without having to actually explain it.

It's a little frustrating, really. I've spent years working to unkink all the problems in the timeline, all the way back to the 1960s. I've used all the known data to anchor specific referents, extrapolated from there, and filled in gaps with appropriate placeholders. And it's been such a headache undoing the careless damage done by various individuals over the decades, up to and including Gene, himself.
Which is why they should start over, IMO. Do a true reboot and start over on a fresh canvas. Think of how great a new Star Trek could be without having fifty years of reverse anachronisms (women can't command starships, etc). Do it right and leave the JJ-verse to the movies, please!

My point was more that I could keep a pretty good hold on fifty years worth of content, with no research staff or assistants. And I know I'm not the only one who is so up on things. Good writers tend to welcome the challenge of coming up with something within particular strictures. The scaffold of real science, speculative/theoretical science, and a plethora of established dates and events and technological progression and such I have never felt in any way constrained by. Quite the opposite. I've had a lot of fun figuring out:

• What the Star Trek universe's 1960s to about 2000 looked like (likely no Kenedy assassination, Nixon never elected, no defunding of NASA, orbital weapons platforms, space stations, moon bases, etc.)
• How the Eugenics Wars could possibly have even been a thing (eugenics means selective breeding for desired traits, so what had been going on and for how many generations for Khan and his followers to launch some kind of offensive circa 1990?)
• What the two hundred years from 1961 to 2161 maps out like (World War III, Colonel Green's War, New United Nations, a 52-state United States, interstellar sublight sleeper ships, Cochrane's development of thePhoenix, refitting the drive section left in stationary orbit into the Bonaventure, the launch of the Valiant, the interrelationship between Earth and her colonies, the formation of Starfleet, the launch of the Dauntless, and so much more)
• The actual timeline of the 23rd century, based on intent in scripts and production notes that was never in actual dialogue (stardates were originally like 19th-century ships' logs, starting at the start of the voyage, and counting from there -- in the case of TOS, Gene intended it to be two-digit months and two-digit percentage; TWOK was Kirk's fiftieth birthday, hence why he's so aware of his age; first contact with the Klingons, and so forth)
• The evolution of Starfleet from a Human organization in the 2130s to a multispecies one in the 2270s and '80s (increases in shipbuilding capacity, advances in ship design and longevity, both resulting in a significant new vessel registration scheme -- basically recognizing Jeffries and Okuda had different notions of how it all worked, and managing a transition rather than trying to overwrite one onto the other to poor effect)

Most things work. Only a couple require some fudging. Which ain't bad, considering how much has been put out there over the last half-century. An impressive amount of things line up quite by accident, ironically in contradiction of the official timeline (i.e., with Kirk's actual derived birth year being 2235, some of the lore has him being ten years old when the Enterprise was launched, thus 2245, which is the official launch year).

Now, inside of all of that, there's a lot we either don't know or have never seen. Enterprise sort of shows us the early days of Starfleet, but it's an alternate timeline from Prime. It works much better as a prologue to JJ-Trek. Not only is the tech advancement way off, but it contradicts prior canon (NX-01 being Enterprise instead of Dauntless, per Voyager, first contact with the Klingons, etc.). That show is an example of how not to do it. If a couple details had been tweaked, it would have worked brilliantly as the early voyages of NCC-1701 under Captain Robert April. So if we start with the organization of Starfleet in the 2130s, we've got over a century of the timeline that we roughly know about but have never actually properly seen. Even though we know the outcome, it could still be exciting to see how it all came about -- if done right this time.

I'd've been fine with JJ-Trek if the science weren't so bad, if the characters were written better, and if they weren't so hot to change as much as they could get away with pretty much just for change's own sake. So I consider it as much out of consideration as Enterprise for doing it wrong. *heh*

Another exciting time would be the first half of the 24th century. Same story. The novels and comics and role-playing games have given us a little bit -- some scaffolding to tie things together -- but there's still so much that hasn't been explored, in whole or in part. The resetting of the stardates in 2323, right around the same time the Ambassador class was launched. The Romulans had disappeared behind their borders, Picard was just going into Starfleet, and we were still working (with setbacks) toward alliance with the Klingons. We fought with the Cardassians, we fought with the Tzenkethi, we fought with the Tholians, we expanded our infrastructure and settled a lot of what had been explored in April's and Pike's and Kirk's era.

Plus the muddy time late in the TNG era, where the stories and poorly-researched facts and poorly-thought-out ship designs started piling up. We've got fully half of a three-hundred-year span that remains largely unexplored. That's plenty of elbow room, in my opinion. No need to do a clean-slate approach, such as what the internally--and-externally-contradictory Star Wars Expanded Universe required. (Not gonna get into ship design stuff here, as that's a whole 'nother essay. :p )

--Jonah

Re: Star Trek Discovery (2017)

That is the ugliest damned thing I've ever seen. It looks like they just picked random shapes from past ship designs and threw it together. The entire engineering area looks like a D7 from original trek.

There was an actual studio model made of the McQuarrie ship the Discovery is obviously based on.

It's in the space dock in ST III. To the left of the enterprise when it comes in to dock. Proportions/scale slightly different as i recall though

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back