Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
There was an actual studio model made of the McQuarrie ship the Discovery is obviously based on.

It's in the space dock in ST III. To the left of the enterprise when it comes in to dock. Proportions/scale slightly different as i recall though

Was it model or matte painting? I thought it was matte painting and an actual model showed up in the wolf359 graveyard.

Was it model or matte painting? I thought it was matte painting and an actual model showed up in the wolf359 graveyard.

None of the Spacedock interior was a matte painting. That model (the interior) going missing is one of the biggest losses in Trek model/miniature archaeology. This article gives a breakdown of where the various study models have been used in production over the years. Incidentally, I feel the Discovery also shares some hallmarks with certain of the Excelsior study models, too.

[ETA: Additionally, I consider the Spacedock study model to be one potential candidate for a canon version of the Baton Rouge class, although fandom for years has had it as the Ariel class Shuttlecarrier. The other study model I like as a candidate for the referenced-but-never-seen Apollo class. With a few very minor detailing tweaks, it would make a good Ambassador era stablemate, and the rest can be written off to damage/removed components.]

--Jonah

Last edited:
The Duscovery shares some similar design elements with the Franklin seen in Beyond which pre-dates the NX-01.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 108
From the bottom angle in the teaser it looks way to triangular... like the TOS Klingon ships.

It didn't occur to me until just now when I watched that teaser that the ship is called Discovery. I just assumed it was going to be another Enterprise show.

Me neither. My son called it the USS Shovel. Never a fan but to each their own.

Which is why they should start over, IMO. Do a true reboot and start over on a fresh canvas. Think of how great a new Star Trek could be without having fifty years of reverse anachronisms (women can't command starships, etc). Do it right and leave the JJ-verse to the movies, please!

D

This. A clean slate.

And not only a clean slate, but let's take a page out of Stargate and have a more episodic approach (with some larger arcs in the background) let's get back to junk food adventure television. Not everything needs to be galactica

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

“There’s a big clue in the number of the ship [NCC-1031] that indicates when we’re set,” “Star Trek Discovery” showrunner Bryan Fuller just told me over Monday-afternoon coffee in the Beverly Hilton’s Circa 55 poolside restaurant.

So.

Given that the Kirk-Spock Enterprise has a higher registry number of NCC-1701, I’ll declare now that CBS’ new “Star Trek Discovery” adventures are set before Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty started hanging out together on the Enterprise.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75876

“There’s a big clue in the number of the ship [NCC-1031] that indicates when we’re set,” “Star Trek Discovery” showrunner Bryan Fuller just told me over Monday-afternoon coffee in the Beverly Hilton’s Circa 55 poolside restaurant.

So.

Given that the Kirk-Spock Enterprise has a higher registry number of NCC-1701, I’ll declare now that CBS’ new “Star Trek Discovery” adventures are set before Kirk, Spock, McCoy and Scotty started hanging out together on the Enterprise.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/75876

A lower hull number doesn't necessarily mean an older ship, it usually does but there are cases where it doesn't. The notable exception to this rule is the Seawolf class of SSNs, they're newer than both the Los Angeles class SSN (688 - 773) and the Virginia class (774 - 803), the 3 Seawolfs are hull numbers 21 - 23. Frigate hull numbers were reset with the advent of the guided missile frigate (FFG) and the same goes with destroyers. And in the Star Trek canon there's the whole Enterprise - Constellation registry confusion with the Enterprise supposedly being an older ship than the Constellation while having a higher hull number, 1701 vs. 1071.

what do you people think of the design of the ship, i personally don't love the design but i think it could have been worse, some are saying it takes aspects from klingon designs with the triangular design. i would have quite liked a cross between TOS design and the design form enterprise

I don't like McQuarrie's design, it never ever did it for me.

This one is better, but the secondary hull screams "Klingon." If this were after TNG, or even after TOS, a deliberate combination could make sense. If this is pre--TOS, and the resemblance isn't intentional, then I have issues with it.

Oh gawd please, not a section 31 show :facepalm

I don't think that's what is going to happen. The show is Star Trek: Discovery.
It would be really odd to call it that and end up being an inside baseball secret squirrel show in space.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back