The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Hi Dave,

Looking at the nacelle parts with a few mods so less support or bridging is needed they would be much easier and reliable to print on home printers.

Yes there are some compromises to the design that could make them easier to print but I wanted the parts to be as robust as possible, line up square, work well with the shells, etc. etc. They were designed with the intent of needing supports, either soluble or breakaway. If someone wants to take a crack at modifying the design to make them easier to print you have my blessing. That's what Open Source is all about. Send me the file and I'll add it to the Repository.

Speaking of supports for 3D printing, Simplify 3D is a software package that is hands down the best at generating supports for 3D printing on consumer printers. It does cost $150, which is a tough sell considering that other slicing programs like Cura are free. But take my word for it (or don't!), it's the best $150 "accessory" you can buy for your machine.

Yes there are some compromises to the design that could make them easier to print but I wanted the parts to be as robust as possible, line up square, work well with the shells, etc. etc. They were designed with the intent of needing supports, either soluble or breakaway. If someone wants to take a crack at modifying the design to make them easier to print you have my blessing. That's what Open Source is all about. Send me the file and I'll add it to the Repository.

Speaking of supports for 3D printing, Simplify 3D is a software package that is hands down the best at generating supports for 3D printing on consumer printers. It does cost $150, which is a tough sell considering that other slicing programs like Cura are free. But take my word for it (or don't!), it's the best $150 "accessory" you can buy for your machine.

Will do, are those indentations in the sides relevant to lining up the saturn 5 shells, the bits you added holes to in V2?

Already bought Simplify 3D, Cura really didn't like my printer and Sli3er caused some crappy artifacts on my prints.

Jon

Absolutely! Cura is a fine program, I was using it too until switching to Simplify 3D. S3D gives you unprecedented control over every single parameter of 3D printing, some you might not have even known could be changed. But the real strength of S3D is in its support generation. Much better than Cura's. Plus it's really easy to customize the supports, manually add or delete them, etc. It's worth the $150 for that alone! And they're finally offering a demo version, well, sort of. You still have to purchase it up front but you can try it for two weeks and if not satisfied, return for a full refund.

Will do, are those indentations in the sides relevant to lining up the saturn 5 shells, the bits you added holes to in V2?

Those indentations are to clear the alignments tabs on the inside of the Saturn shells. The holes were added as part of a "swiss cheese" version that I did trying to reduce the printing costs at Shapeways. That version was full of holes and cut outs to reduce the amount of material, but it had very little impact on cost, the pricing being based more on machine volume. So I did away with all the holes but those. You'll notice that the indents and the channels near the front have 45 degree chamfers to eliminate overhangs and the need for supports in those areas..

No worries, the cost to have the Nacelle Cores printed by Shapeways using their least expensive material, White Strong and Flexible is $172/pair, plus shipping. The laser cut acrylic cores (some assembly required) are $29.50/pair. :cool

No worries, the cost to have the Nacelle Cores printed by Shapeways using their least expensive material, White Strong and Flexible is $172/pair, plus shipping. The laser cut acrylic cores (some assembly required) are $29.50/pair. :cool

Oh wow, yeah I better Paypal you for a set of your acrylic ones STAT! :eek

Thanks Dave

The way you have designed it (first version), I doubt regular PLA would break ! It would certainly be stronger than the original filming models :D

Nice job, I'll print the cockpit to compare it to mine, Im sure yours is more accurate than mine, I have made a good solve of Red Jammer cockpit, I may use it to make another one, but want to try yours first.

Dave, first of all, thank you so much for making this an open source project. I am so stoked about this project and the challenge of making this model. I have accessed the files through google drive and I don't see the files for the forward fuselage. Based on Julians last post, it leads me to believe the file is somewhere. Please advise?

Thanks

No, the forward fuselage and canopy files have not been posted. As I've said before I have not decided on posting those or not. I can tell you that there will be castings available at some point.

Oops sorry my mistake I did not check the files, my comment was just based on the pics of the cockpit he posted. Was going to model my own anyway !

Yup! And both PLA and ABS can be solvent welded, at least with commercial grade acrylic solvent.

I use weld on 3 and 16

That's the stuff! Unfortunately we can't get WO3 in Los Angeles county anymore and have to settle for #4 which still works but isn't as nice. Oh well, it's a small price to pay to have clean air... when the asteroid hits!

I'm using Cura - and it's worth the $$?

:lol I use Cura too, I actually like it a lot for some things. Beats the heck out of the Slic3r/Pronterface combo, at any rate. I've avoided the last couple of Cura versions because I felt they broke a couple of things, got to admit. They add new features fairly often, though. It'll eventually have everything.

I gave up on Slic3r after they broke it a few versions ago. It went insane WRT support material, generating rock-solid crap surrounding *everything*.

I'm too cheap to try Simplify. :lol

Last edited:
That version was full of holes and cut outs to reduce the amount of material, but it had very little impact on cost, the pricing being based more on machine volume.

Up until October 2014 that would have worked, you'd have halved the cost. Until then, low-density objects were heavily advantaged by their pricing algorithm; after they changed it it became more the opposite - high-density and low-volume (or nestable) objects now get the better pricing.

Splitting the Saturn can supports into two open halves might yield a big price drop, but it might not; you're taking a chance on what nesting they come up with etc. (There's some flat charge per-part as well, IIRC.) You could try it, or try nesting the halves yourself and spruing them together to make a single part. Splitting the part somewhat defeats the purpose I guess, but WSF is strong enough for press-fit or snap-fit tab solutions to be workable...

Here's a bit of my philosophy on the 3D printed nacelle core design (actually for the entire project). I did it based on no limitations for either machine or budget, like we would have done it for a movie, had the technology been available to us back in the day. It could probably be split and maybe save a little cost, but I doubt it. and it would end up being more problem than it's worth. Because the printing cost was so high I came up with the laser cut alternative. To be honest, it will work just as well and for the price (a bargain if I do say so myself!) I wouldn't try to print the cores on a home printer. Gonna be a PITA!

If anyone comes up with a modification to the nacelle cores that makes them easier to print on a home printer that's great! Please share it. I will upload it as an alternative file on the Repository. That's what the spirit of Open Source is all about. Improving other's work and resharing it with the community.

and speaking of community... based on the armature sales alone, there are Y's being built in the USA, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa, The Netherlands and Japan! That is all kinds of awesome!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back