The Martian Space Suit

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443762224.625412.jpg

I'm willing to let this one go if anyone wants it for cheap. I was able to get my hands on a red one.

And I'm off to see the movie tomorrow! Can't wait!!!!

Got in contact with FBFX, the team making the suits and they told me they're following this thread and that they unfortunately couldn't release the 3D files due to FOX Studios owning the rights to them, which is a shame. But I'm liking Captain April's dedication and I'm confident his replica model is gonna satisfy me and many others.

Andreas, did they give some clues on who printed the wetsuits and the extra materials on the harness?

-Max

Andreas, did they give some clues on who printed the wetsuits and the extra materials on the harness?

-Max

Well, when I say "got in contact" I mean I wrote on their facebook page and they replied. I did send them a PM they haven't responded to yet regarding the webbing which is annoying me the most right now but if you got any questions they said they're willing to answer them :)

https://www.facebook.com/FBFX-111056985682950/timeline/

They're also on Twitter

https://twitter.com/fbfx_ltd

Just watched it, didn't give me the feeling of him being very lonely at all. I would prefer having the story in 2 movies or one 3 hour movie.

But the visuals were stunning! Just the story being too quick.

Last edited:
That's one of the promotional give away Helmets, which looks better than some of the photos that I have seen of it on the web, you will note, since it doesn't have the head harness, it does fit right but the size looks correct.

Okay I have an update for anyone who is ordering buckles directly from AustriAlpin

I emailed them I was still looking for the orange 28mm buckle and the 45mm compact buckle with double female ends. I sent them the product numbers that are listed in their catelog (FC25B and FC90BV). I then got an invoice from them for the buckles the product numbers were FC25OVF and FC45KVV-XL. I asked why they were different and sent them a photo of the buckles that Soulinertia has posted and this was their response:

"Hi Wes,

Sorry for the confusion, the codes you sent were ones from a few years ago, I speak new code so that’s what I entered.

FC45KVV-XL = FC90BV
FC25OVF = FC25B

Thanks,
Kyla"

The only difference is that the 28mm orange buckle is now powder coated not anodized.

"Contactleft" is his username and I contacted him this week and he told me he is out of anodized ones but has a shipment of powder coated ones on the way. Guess I'll have to settle for that.

Hey all, just got back from the showing here in Sweden.
I had made an HTML version of the arm computer interface in anticipation of animations and stuff. Turns out it wasn't shown much in the movie so it'd have been easier to just make it in Photoshop. Oh well. :)

Here's an GIF and video (MP4) made from it. They should be able to be played from any phone.

I went with the same feel as the numbers shown on the camera HUD in the movie. That is, an update every 2 seconds or so. They also had a blinking cursor but I opted to not go for that.

attachment.php

I know a lot of the paddings are wrong and there's some stuff left to do. But it's a start. :)

Source, GIF and Video here:
https://github.com/antila/the-martian-arm-computer

Link to try the HTML in your phone: (unfortunaly a bit of errors right now)
http://antila.github.io/the-martian-arm-computer/html/

EDIT: Almost forgot! Shoutout to my friend Erik who identified the font in minutes! It's Gridnik. It's also the same font used in the movie for the SOL titles and such.

EDIT2: Added comparison picture that I got from earlier in the thread, but cropped and rotated .
attachment.php

Attachments

• the-martian-arm-computer-v1.0-antila.github.io.gif
    the-martian-arm-computer-v1.0-antila.github.io.gif
    534.2 KB · Views: 1,545
  • ref.png
    ref.png
    502.2 KB · Views: 1,436
Last edited:
Just got back from the movie. Super cool. A few things I thought were notable:

Also, there were a few shots where you can se how the GoPro can be stowed inside the backpack, and thers where you can see how the top left corner flipped up into the arm that holds the GoPro.
Capture.JPG

The gray flight suits look alot like those blue nasa flight suits, especially because of the patch layout, but also in the proportions between the lipper pockets and the waist (in alot of the workwear ones the waist is very high and close to the pockets) Pictured:
Ken_Bowersox_flight_suit_cropped.jpg

The 3 velcro strips on the legs are just like the ones that the ISS astronauts have on their hiking pants to keep stuff in their laps. Pictured:

maxresdefault.jpglap velcro.JPG

Did anyone else notice the watch that was built in to his suit (right wrist?) I thought it was weird that he had that along with the arm computer. Did anybody recognize the watch by chance?

First off, the movie was awesome, and I too couldn't stop looking at the details on the suit. It was a bit fast paced, could of definitely used another half hour. One choice they made really bugged me, but otherwise pretty much perfect.

That's the watch that has come up in a few links in the thread. Felt a bit forced to have it show up there, but now we know what that flap on the right wrist is for. I mean a mechanical watch in space would serve as a backup for electronic failure of the wrist computer, but still. I was hoping he would wear it inside and it would not be part of the suit, but no such luck. Will have to figure something out.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back