Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

Was it square? I recall reading that it was just a chunk and I assumed it was an unmilled wart from when the thing was casted.

Square or slightly rectangle I need to confirm... but it's there to plug a hole for the wires from when used in Star Wars/ANH

That's what I thought the cone knob was for. The way I saw it, if this and the shared stunt came from the same mold, they'd share some things in details. The shared stunt has, what I think, a drilled recessed dip where the 'mystery chunk' is on the V2. I figured it was just something done to get rid of the ugly left by some air vent when it was casted and they didn't bother to do that with this.

Square or slightly rectangle I need to confirm... but it's there to plug a hole for the wires from when used in Star Wars/ANH
Scottjua,
Did you actually see the prop? Where is this info coming from, if you don't mind me asking.

Since I couldn't get a decent look, I left this feature off my model. If at some future time we can see what's going on here, it shouldn't be too hand for people to add this detail. But unfortunatly, I wasn't able to make out what's going on there.

I think it was mentioned by Brandon earlier in the thread that it was an aluminium chunk but for the life of me, now, I can't find that post.

I think it was mentioned by Brandon earlier in the thread that it was an aluminium chunk but for the life of me, now, I can't find that post.

The first mention of the "chunk" was by Scottjua six days ago, post 687, and below is a subsequent clarification post by same.
I based my known list on what I was told directly or can see for sure.
The chunk I was referring to is where we thought a filister screw went. Brandon said it was a chunk of aluminum and not a screw.
I'm guessing Scottjua talked to him in person at celebration because Brandon has not posted about the "chunk".

Last edited:
I did some quick tweaking of your image, hope that's ok.
Here is what I'm seeing.
http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=474101&d=1430967207

I agree about the furthest bar to the right, unless better photos are available. From the photo credited to Sym-Cha, it is hard to say that the furthest right bar is connected to any of the horizontal lines. It could have a 90 degree turn to the right and the two horizontal lines are connected to bars that have been cut away from this board altogether.

Re: Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber- based on the new info from SWCA

Here you go.

I'm not certain that is the same lever from ROTJ, could be the resolution, could be it was shined up.

Well, the clamp lever is definitely more straight in this Obi-wan ANH close-up! So, this would mean that the bending it had in the ROTJ and currently as seen in Brandon's pictures happened from all the fencing. No? It is delicate enough. So the image shows basically an AFB version :)
You can also tell from various pictures that the lever is quite loose and its position is slightly rotated (on its screw) and sometimes more a bit more open and then closed. Also, the rectangular blocking plate between the bar and lever looks totally bent, indicating that it took quite some beating!

I believe Brandon mentioned the filister screw\chunk in the video of the panel from SWCA

Well, the clamp lever is definitely more straight in this Obi-wan ANH close-up! So, this would mean that the bending it had in the ROTJ and currently as seen in Brandon's pictures happened from all the fencing. No?
No. That is quite a leap of logic. The clamp was removed for sparring during ESB as evidenced by several pictures, and the V2 wasn't used for sparring at all in ANH except while filming.

Circa ESB
Luke-ObiSharedStunt01.jpg

Circa ANH
9.jpg

Seeing as the clamp wasn't present for the saber practice, I doubt the lever took much of a beating.

It is delicate enough.
What makes you think so? It looks pretty robust to me.

You can also tell from various pictures that the lever is quite loose and its position is slightly rotated (on its screw) and sometimes more a bit more open and then closed.
An over tightened graflex clamp has the characteristics you describe,can't lock that lever in the clamped position without the right amount of travel, btw that is the best way to break a graflex lever too. This could also explain a broken /replaced lever due to over tightening the screw, then snap! "Ok John, we got a broken prop here, go grab me that shiny lever off the backup."

Also, the rectangular blocking plate between the bar and lever looks totally bent, indicating that it took quite some beating!
Indicating that it was likely over tightened and forced into position at some point.

Last edited:
Several characters are also visible in the Ewok Village press still. It should be floating around these forums but I can dig out the original 11x14 still if needed.

So if no tape was used on the graflex clamp. Does that mean the clamp doesn't have the G R A F L E X stamped in it?

Can you explain that further? Walk me through your thought process a bit.
All of this should really be in the v2 thread, not here.

Last edited:

Well the v2 was cleaned up on the lathe. it had a newly machined pommel and emitter. It had electronics in it and the emitter and blade spun (the head spins even to this day).

In the pictures during esb, this prop seems to still have a seam line. The clamp is gone (and it seems weird to me that they'd take the broken and weird v2 clamp off the saber, practice with it for however many hours a day and then put the broken clamp back on later. I think if they regularly took the clamp off the prop between anh and rotj, it would have gotten lost). It just seems to me that the revolving and cleaned up v2 wouldn't make sense as a practice saber for ESB. I'd think they would have used one where the blade didn't spin, since they had given up on the whole rotating blade thing at this point.

But who knows

And you're right. this conversation doesn't really belong in the for sale thread

Dan

As you can see, they are using the rotating bladed ANH Luke stunt for dueling, so that argument doesn't really hold up. There are a few ESB practice pics out there, and while the one I posted above may not show the V2, I don't think we can say for sure given the seemingly numerous redressing of props between films.
It may be the V2, the shared stunt, or some other ANH stunt, but I think I made my point to Roygilsing none the less.

Alright, I'm done with the discussion (in this thread) if anyone wants to continue, please tag me in the V2 thread in the prop forum.
I'm going to report this post to the mods in the hopes of getting some of the posts from this valuable discussion moved over to the V2 thread.
G'night all.

Last edited:
Scottjua,
Did you actually see the prop? Where is this info coming from, if you don't mind me asking.

Since I couldn't get a decent look, I left this feature off my model. If at some future time we can see what's going on here, it shouldn't be too hand for people to add this detail. But unfortunatly, I wasn't able to make out what's going on there.

The hole is on your model though? Since even though we don't know how it's plugged, we know there's the hole there? Or do we not even know that much, so you're leaving it off (better safe than sorry)?

Hi everybody,

I'm posting my take on the lever design here and I hope to be able to offer this lever soon on WannaWanga.com!
It's an updated version after some comments in Anakin Starkiller's thread and carefully reverse engineered from Brandon's images.

I also undid the perspective distortion for the pictures/video taken at SWCA:
v2-brandon-SWCA-1.jpg v2-brandon-SWCA-3.jpg

cheers!
roy

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back