Star Wars VII Soccer Ball Droid

This plan might actually work (also with some extra components). But my question is:
1) What is an EEE PC? Does EEE stand for something?
2) What is a RF Link? And again, does RF stand for something?

EEE PC is Asus' line of small PCs and netbooks – from before the days of Raspberry Pi and others
RF Link is a Radio Frequency Link – a wireless connection.

After seeing the footage, I went back and looked at how my sphero moves around and it makes a lot of sense now.

In an older story about Bob Iger and Sphero working together they mention Sphero and allude to a future Star Wars themed toy. http://www.cnbc.com/id/102089952

The robotic toy company Sphero, which Iger himself mentored, announced it is partnering with Disney on a "Star Wars"-themed toy. (Details weren't revealed.)

After seeing the footage, I went back and looked at how my sphero moves around and it makes a lot of sense now.

In an older story about Bob Iger and Sphero working together they mention Sphero and allude to a future Star Wars themed toy. http://www.cnbc.com/id/102089952

If that does end up happening and they create a working BB8 toy you know that lots of people will be buying them and taking them apart to see if the mechanisms inside can be scaled up to make a full sized BB8.

If that does end up happening and they create a working BB8 toy you know that lots of people will be buying them and taking them apart to see if the mechanisms inside can be scaled up to make a full sized BB8.

Here are the innards. I'm going to try and make a tiny sphero-scaled of the BB-8. The shell does not open but nothing a little surgery can't fix.

http://www.howitworksdaily.com/how-the-sphero-works/

sphero.jpg

Suddenly it makes a lot of sense--the illusion that the head is "pulling" the ball is actually the ball "pushing" the head, and the head trying to stay on top.

Now, out of a sw historians perspective it would be interesting to know what came first, the bb8 concept or Bob iger discovering the Sphero company.

So the question was answered, no CGI....goes miles to make people realize not all the magic is born out of 1's and 0's. I see there was no magnet, but there was a rolling mechanism inside like AndyJ and Grenater first stated. I would buy one if the made it. Makes me think of what other wonders of the Star Wars universe could be done with the right contacts.

Cheers mates!

From how Kathleen said it, it sounds like they had the notion and when they were trying to figure out how to make it work, Bob found the folks who make Sphero -- or already knew them.

--Jonah

I'll be damned if the BB8 we saw was the one used in the first trailer.

The article in reference quotes KK saying that we saw the "red carpet BB8".

But maybe now we know what BB stands for :)

ya, what we saw (the red carpet BB-8) would be what we would call the "hero" version. I'm sure there are stunt versions and of course some CGI being the head barely touches the body in the first teaser trailer.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back