Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

:confused not really evil, just plain wrong I suppose :p
When I saw R1 I saw plenty of aliens and droids - throwback ones that I don't think I have seen since ANH. Got another big grin when I heard.... don't even know what they are called, uh MOUSE DROID according to google :D

yep, that's the right name :)

I don't know, in my first and so far only viewing, to me it felt like the more background star wars elements where hidden to make it feel more real.
unless a specific call back was needed.

by the time we got to the big space battle, it was like 'oh yeah, this is star wars i'm watching'

Is the mexican audience coming up to be the top grossing audience in the future? Is the British? Is it Australia? NO. ITS CHINA. I dont get why youre throwing the "BOOGA BOOGA RACIST" card. Chill man. Im not anti-chinese by any means. If it was any other country I would be saying it to them too. ***** youre so narrow minded and so quick to jump down someones throat. Calm the hell down. Im not being racist, and every single time you assume that Im just some white guy sitting at my computer. Im not. Im in California, a blue state, and Im 34, on the cusp of a milleniall(sp), so chill. And Im Mexican for gods sake. Its like pulling teeth trying to make a point without someone saying the racist card whenever I bring up China. @squirk Good man, Im glad it didnt impact your enjoyment of the film. I envy you, @Zombie_61 same to you. For me it did. I didnt feel immersed with a cliched character. So are you guys going to chastise me now because I have a different opinion than you?

@JD does it make you feel better calling me racist? Im asking, cause whenever I bring up China you never fail to call me one.
Did you even read my post?

I'm calm. I'm chill. I didn't call you a racist (I've gone through and looked at my posts - unless I've missed something, that wasn't something I said at all). It sounds like you have more issues with this than you care to admit.

As far as pulling teeth to make a point - well, that goes both ways. You could be a 34, millennial, in California and Mexican (for "god's sake") with bad punctuation and that doesn't preclude one from being racist (again, not saying that you are) or understanding the point. I'm not chastising you because you have a differing opinion - I'm disagreeing that using a person from a different background is pandering - that somehow casting Diego Luna (Mexican) or Forrest Whitaker (Black), Felicity Jones (British) or even the actors from Norway and Australia isn't any different than casting the Chinese actors in question.

I do think they wanted Chinese (or Asian) actors - was Chirrut cliched? Hell yes. I think they wanted those two characters to have a certain look and feel - just as they wanted Jyn to be a female or Cassian to be Latin - or Saw to be black. Jyn could've been male, even a black male... Cassian could've been a woman - these characters could've been written just a little different (or really not that differently at all) and the story would've been (basically) the same. I don't think any of that is pandering to the Chinese audience (no more than the Mexican audience, female audience, Black audience, Australian... etc).

@Snikt does that make you feel better? You don't need to go all defensive because someone disagrees with you.

Last edited:
Snikt Speaking of Mexican's, surely this is a desirable outcome for one Mexican Rogue One viewer.

Attachments

• IMG_4521.PNG
    IMG_4521.PNG
    334.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, Saw had to be played by a black actor. The character was already established as black (or whatever the in-universe nomenclature is) in The Clone Wars.

And I'd be annoyed if they tried to change him to white,or asian, or mexican. if he's originally always been black, keep him the way he was created to be.

To be fair, Saw had to be played by a black actor. The character was already established as black (or whatever the in-universe nomenclature is) in The Clone Wars.
...the point being that he didn't have to be black in The Clone Wars.

- - - Updated - - -

@Snikt Speaking of Mexican's, surely this is a desirable outcome for one Mexican Rogue One viewer.
But, that just proves the pandering. ;)

now, lets not start getting silly here....:rolleyes

I wasn't referring to you, buddy. And it was very tongue-in-cheek. ;)

But it does raise an interesting question - was it pandering to cast Billy Dee Williams as Lando back in 1978?

Nothing about the character required the casting of a black actor. Was he hired to bring diversity to the SW cast? Or was he hired because he could nail the reformed smooth-talking rogue that could out-schmooze and hoodwink Han? Or both? If it was the latter, does the former even matter?

But it does raise an interesting question - was it pandering to cast Billy Dee Williams as Lando back in 1978? Nothing about the character required the casting of a black actor. Was he hired to bring diversity to the SW cast? Or was he hired because he could nail the smooth-talking reformed rogue? Or both? If it was the latter, does the former even matter?
Some interesting info here.

Williams was reluctant to play what he thought was a token black, but soon realized that Lando could be portrayed by a black or white actor. “The part requires a universal, international quality, which I have," Williams says. "Lando is an alternative to the usual WASP hero.

But it does raise an interesting question - was it pandering to cast Billy Dee Williams as Lando back in 1978?

Nothing about the character required the casting of a black actor. Was he hired to bring diversity to the SW cast? Or was he hired because he could nail the reformed smooth-talking rogue that could out-schmooze and hoodwink Han? Or both? If it was the latter, does the former even matter?

sometimes it's hard to tell :)

But it's not a bad question to ask.

I would like to think it was just natural casting. if he was the right part for the role, he was the right part for the role.

but it could be a little of both.. they might have seen that article about not enough diversity in a new hope and agreed with it....

JD Forget it, I give up. You just dont understand what Im saying. You won. And why bother pointing out if I made a punctuation error though? Do you have some superiority complex or something? Why did you feel compelled to point that out?
Bryancd I did see that, yes, that was nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
@JD Forget it, I give up. You just dont understand what Im saying. You won. And why bother pointing out if I made a punctuation error though? Do you have some superiority complex or something? Why did you feel compelled to point that out?
@Bryancd I did see that, yes, that was nice.
I understand what you're saying - I just disagree with you. I'm not trying to win, I'm hoping to to gain some common ground and a little understanding...

The punctuation bits were because your lack of apostrophes and spacing makes it difficult to read at times - it was meant to be a lighthearted jab. A bit of fun, no superiority complex - my posts are often full of typos and run on sentences and the like.

That's interesting. I had assumed (and thought I had read somewhere) that the voice work was done by Stephen Stanton, who did Tarkin for "Rebels".

Hats off to Mr. Henry, then, for delivering a great Cushing voice that's just as good as Stanton's.

I still hear an American accent coming through on Stanton's impression......don't look at the cartoon when he talks,...just listen to the voice,....

J

I still hear an American accent coming through on Stanton's impression......don't look at the cartoon when he talks,...just listen to the voice,....

J

I'd have to guess that your ear can catch that sort of thing easier than my American one. I remember being duly impressed when I watched those Tarkin episodes, but I'll go back and listen. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back