The Walking Dead Season 5 Discussion (Spoilers)

I took the tornado taking out all the trees and walkers while not affecting the barn as "the hand of God" at work. There were several references throughout the episode as to a loss of faith and I felt that scene served to restore some of their faith, Maggie and Gabriel in particular. I'm not a fan of God playing any role in a story like this but I thought that was the point.

The tornado and the barn and then the sudden rain storm. Messages leading up to remind the group to continue to have faith and keep pushing forward.

Not to mention the broken music box finally working.

The bit with the dogs was unfortunate, but I'd have done the same thing.

I felt sorry for the zombie in the car trunk. I wonder what her story was - an actual kidnapping victim? Or a family member who had already changed, and the driver tried to escape with them?

If you read the comics you wouldn't be saying that. Then again, I remember when people HATED Michonne, and just called her "Sword Girl", as in "Sword Girl needs to go, she's worthless."

Well it doesn't matter if I have or haven't read the comics. Cause this is about the TV show and not the comic book. Seeing that how they change up characters style / personality and life bars between them. I don't do spoilers, so can't say blank about blank and that. But I can't stand Eugene and I'm very tired of him. I hoped Abe crushed his skull with his combo hit at the fire truck. Thus he is serving a purpose at the moment since he was all about DC and is shown as how 80% of people would likely be in zombie land. So he can hang out for awhile, but you gotta kill off the priest then. Sounds like a fair trade? Good

If you read the comics you wouldn't be saying that. Then again, I remember when people HATED Michonne, and just called her "Sword Girl", as in "Sword Girl needs to go, she's worthless."

I agree. In the comics, Eugene's "know stuff" includes how to make ammo. That's pretty useful in my opinion. He may have that knowledge in the show as well.

And I remember that a lot of the hate for Michonne, especially from the IMDB. I bet those users have eatten their own words after they gave her a chance.

Last edited:
Well it doesn't matter if I have or haven't read the comics. Cause this is about the TV show and not the comic book. Seeing that how they change up characters style / personality and life bars between them. I don't do spoilers, so can't say blank about blank and that. But I can't stand Eugene and I'm very tired of him. I hoped Abe crushed his skull with his combo hit at the fire truck. Thus he is serving a purpose at the moment since he was all about DC and is shown as how 80% of people would likely be in zombie land. So he can hang out for awhile, but you gotta kill off the priest then. Sounds like a fair trade? Good

Yeah the priest is pretty worthless, Eugene at least has a Kill under his belt. Don't forget that with Kirkman back they are going to follow the comics more closely, and Eugene IS important, ie. they have a foundry, Ammo production, and the return of Fresh Baked Bread thanks to him. As for Michonne, I was defending her (and the perfect casting of the role) from the get-go. People didn't start to really warm up to her until she stuck the Governor in the eye, which compared to the comic is a walk in the park. I was afraid of spoons for about a week after that issue.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the barn thing was a dream. Oh we just got ambushed by zombies, let's all, except one guy, go to sleep now! WTH would want to sleep after that? :lol It also bugs me when people in a show or movie say the name of the show or movie.

The barn door scene was basically symbolic of overcoming everything preceding in the episode. They're pretty much broken, losing hope, turning on each other.

Maggies tells Glenn she doesn't know if she wants to fight anymore. Sasha claims they are not her friends. Darryl's withdrawing. Gabriel renounces his faith.

Then Rick does the grandfather anology and says,' We're the walking Dead'.

Daryl repeats 'We're not them.' over and over, then goes to the door, sees the walkers and starts holding out. Then the others, one,by one. wake up and join in till they are all holding out against the walkers. giving it everything. They're each still in the fight, holding out for as long as it takes together. It practically screamed 'I am a metaphor!'

I actually though that part was pretty well done, if a bit on the nose. I know the WD isn't heavy on subtext, but c'mon guys!

Last edited:
I don't deny that once in a while, episodes like are needed, but I don't think this one was done very well. I kept thinking, "wow, this is the first time they've all been together in a long time yet it feels like there aren't ANY characters here"

And the barn door scene felt more like a cheesy symbol from an 80's family sitcom than anything

Also, anyone notice the special zombie in this episode? It looked like when the group was waiting at the bridge to push the walkers down the hill, one of the lead zombies looked a LOT like a zombified Ash from "Evil Dead"

Daryl repeats 'We're not them.' over and over, then goes to the door, sees the walkers and starts holding out. Then the others, one,by one. wake up and join in till they are all holding out against the walkers. giving it everything. They're each still in the fight, holding out for as long as it takes together. It practically screamed 'I am a metaphor!'

I actually though that part was pretty well done, if a bit on the nose. I know the WD isn't heavy on subtext, but c'mon guys!

ok, but they didn't give it everything they had. They didn't fight back. They waited until someone or something saved their butts again. If they wanted to live and fight back there would dead zombies at the door. Used the weapons they have to save their own skins. It wasn't a fight, it was just not wanting to die tonight or didn't want their friend to die. It's a natural way the human mind works. You might not care about yourself, but you'll protect those around you.

ok so Noah has gotten 2 members of the gang killed so far. So to make up for this mess I take it he will have to something really damn cool. Be the lamb or take out a sniper or something big one day.

This was maybe my favorite episode from this season so far. A lot of character development and it was well acted and well executed.

I must be in the minority though because I haven't seen any race crap, and the gripes I have with the show have generally been things other people like about it. I'm weird I guess. Whatever.

ok, but they didn't give it everything they had. They didn't fight back. They waited until someone or something saved their butts again. If they wanted to live and fight back there would dead zombies at the door. Used the weapons they have to save their own skins. It wasn't a fight, it was just not wanting to die tonight or didn't want their friend to die. It's a natural way the human mind works. You might not care about yourself, but you'll protect those around you.

I don't think your're really understanding symbolism. Both sides are throwing their whole weight against the door. Which is stronger? They kind of crapped out with the 'act of God' hurricane results the next day, but the door scene was showing that with the whole team pitching in they are 50/50 with the walkers at this point.

Also, anyone notice the special zombie in this episode? It looked like when the group was waiting at the bridge to push the walkers down the hill, one of the lead zombies looked a LOT like a zombified Ash from "Evil Dead"

This guy?
ash21.jpg

I understand symbolism. But as you said they crapped out with act of God / Mother Nature special. So they are not stronger nor weaker..they are balanced. So kill or be killed and not wait for super natural things to save you.

I was with the episode up until the wind apparently moved all the zombies away from the door so the laser guided trees could take out each and every one of them. Symbolism or not it was not done very well.

This show is suffering from a major case of the stupids this season.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back