GHOSTBUSTERS Pre-Release - film discussion only, no social commentary please!

They could of easily written this as the daughters of the original 4. The original guys make some appearances, pass off their weaponry make some new stuff Big Bad Ghost Gun and let the new girls take it from there.

that's what I actually thought when this new Ghostbusters was mentioned. I thought it was a sequel with daughters replacing the original team.
Unfortunately it wasn't unless it was changed during filming.

All care now is for the rottentomatoes score, but if score is high will still wait when its released for streaming/blu ray

Close to what I thought. I thought they'd make one, or maybe two of them daughters, and the other two their friends. Definitely have at least one of the originals there to do the hand off. Extra credit for a surprise ending where all 4 originals show up unexpectedly, including CGI Ramis. Double extra if CGI Ramis is a ghost, sitting in a theater, after the credits, commenting on how crappy the movie he just saw was.

Close to what I thought. I thought they'd make one, or maybe two of them daughters, and the other two their friends. Definitely have at least one of the originals there to do the hand off. Extra credit for a surprise ending where all 4 originals show up unexpectedly, including CGI Ramis. Double extra if CGI Ramis is a ghost, sitting in a theater, after the credits, commenting on how crappy the movie he just saw was.

That would have been a home run with fanboys and newbies alike. The trick with a reeboot is you have to keep the core fans in the mix. If you dont, this is what happens.

You don't see this kind of reaction to a film like Bridesmaids or Trainwreck or The Boss or Tammy or Pitch Perfect or whatever. Plenty of comedies with female leads have been made and generally well received, but very few have become political footballs like this one has.

Indeed look at the Thing sequel, with a female lead(BECAUSE there weren't even a single female in the original film). As far as I remember there weren't any complaints due to the lead being a woman.

I doubt it will backfire. The super majority who are turned off by these articles are in the same venn diagram of people that weren't going to watch it.

:facepalm

*start sarcasm*
Indeed, fans never go see films that turned them into "fans" in the first place.
*end sarcasm*

Indeed look at the Thing sequel, with a female lead(BECAUSE there weren't even a single female in the original film). As far as I remember there weren't any complaints due to the lead being a woman.

:facepalm

*start sarcasm*
Indeed, fans never go see films that turned them into "fans" in the first place.
*end sarcasm*

So you are saying all the "fans" that are complaining in this thread, who have stated they dislike it aren't going to see it BECAUSE of these articles?

The statement had nothing to do with fans going to see reboots in general. We were discussing the affect of these articles on fans planning to see Ghostbusters so I think my statement stands if we are talking about this movie.

So you are saying all the "fans" that are complaining in this thread, who have stated they dislike it aren't going to see it BECAUSE of these articles?

The statement had nothing to do with fans going to see reboots in general. We were discussing the affect of these articles on fans planning to see Ghostbusters so I think my statement stands if we are talking about this movie.

Who needs these articles for someone to not go see it?

The trailer alone told everyone that it's gonna be garbage.

Then Fall Out Boy's cover? That was just an unnecessary double-tap.

The production already killed it for even a casual GB fan

The Gadgets of Ghostbusters:

[video]https://www.facebook.com/Ghostbusters/videos/1037718896282111/[/video]

So seemingly they do a lot of exposition on how the tech comes to be in this new GB. I do wonder how much this will help propel the story forward and how much of that will be just for ??? and giggles. What OGB did right was to follow that old screenwriting rule "late in, early out", the audience does not need to know where stuff comes from to believe that it works in that reality. But I am not sure if I am contradicting myself here and I earlier into this thread kind of screamed "where´s the goldarn exposition regarding all the tech?!" :D :D :D

The Gadgets of Ghostbusters:

https://www.facebook.com/Ghostbusters/videos/1037718896282111/

So seemingly they do a lot of exposition on how the tech comes to be in this new GB. I do wonder how much this will help propel the story forward and how much of that will be just for ??? and giggles. What OGB did right was to follow that old screenwriting rule "late in, early out", the audience does not need to know where stuff comes from to believe that it works in that reality. But I am not sure if I am contradicting myself here and I earlier into this thread kind of screamed "where´s the goldarn exposition regarding all the tech?!" :D :D :D

that stupid line in the book is in this roll...

'I didn't even know the PKE meter could do this!'

You INVENTED the damn thing! you don't know what it could do?

this is the kind of stupid humor that is dummning down society....

see there? it's happening to me now ;o)

How can people have deep discussions about the quality of the film when it has not released yet? I'm NOT saying you can't dislike the film because of the trailers, music or sony emails. What I'm saying is people are discussing what they know about the film, mostly the cast, and the events surrounding the film, all that other junk.

I doubt it will backfire. The super majority who are turned off by these articles are in the same venn diagram of people that weren't going to watch it.

My point about leaning on the casting and resultant controversy is more about how Sony has chosen to market the film. The press I've seen about the film hasn't been anything about an in-depth discussion of the trailer, or discussions of reactions to the musical tracks released before the film, or discussions about the sausage-making behind-the-scenes depicted in the Pascal emails. Instead, the discussion I've seen is a pushback against the negative reaction to the casting decisions -- which neatly sidesteps pretty much all of the actual valid critiques about the film based on what little we've seen of it thus far and on what we know about how it got made.

I'll put it another way. Instead of pushback against people saying how lame an uninspired this reboot seems (because look at all the lame in-film references to the original), instead of pushback about how this is a reboot instead of a sequel (which is the actual source of the hyperbolic "destroys my childhood" argument), instead of pushback about how unfunny the trailer looks or how the cast doesn't seem that funny in interviews (really? The various "I'm doing an improv character!" versions of the original film's theme song?), instead of pushback about how confusing the original trailer was (in that people couldn't tell whether it was a reboot or a sequel).....we're all talking about sexism and feminism.

Which is about as far afield as you can get when discussing the actual entertainment value of the film. The stuff I mentioned that we aren't talking about? All of that is relevant to the film's entertainment value. The "we're fighting sexist trolls" thing? Got nothin' to do with how good or funny the film is.

That's my point. There's no attempt (so far) to really say how great the film is on its own, or how funny it is, or to refute the arguments about how it should be a sequel and not a reboot or how uninspired it seems in many ways. Those are completely ignored. Instead, Sony and the cast are very often discussing the sexist reaction to the film and how stupid that is. That's how they're leaning on the casting and reaction to the casting, instead of on the quality of the film itself.

I agree that, by and large, any backlash will be pretty minor. But I think it'd be less among fans who already weren't going to see it, and more among fans and non-fans who might've been on the fence.

I think that's true for most here.

In my case though, the articles had a lot to do with it.

I thought it looked stupid and gimmicky from the start, and said so, but the truth is I see stupid and gimmicky movies all the time. Sometimes I can enjoy them for what they are. Adam Sandler was mentioned a few times in this thread and he's a good example: grown ups 2 was predictable, cheesy, and totally unoriginal. I knew that going in and was still able to enjoy it for what it was.

Sometimes a little mindlessness is what you're looking for.

It would still annoy me that they wasted the opportunity, which I still believe they did, but for the first half of this thread I was still planning to see it, and said so.

Now...i think they've just earned too much bad blood. I'm not sure if I even can enjoy it now. I don't even want to like it after some of the crap they've piled on.

Last edited:
My point about leaning on the casting and resultant controversy is more about how Sony has chosen to market the film. The press I've seen about the film hasn't been anything about an in-depth discussion of the trailer, or discussions of reactions to the musical tracks released before the film, or discussions about the sausage-making behind-the-scenes depicted in the Pascal emails. Instead, the discussion I've seen is a pushback against the negative reaction to the casting decisions -- which neatly sidesteps pretty much all of the actual valid critiques about the film based on what little we've seen of it thus far and on what we know about how it got made.

I'll put it another way. Instead of pushback against people saying how lame an uninspired this reboot seems (because look at all the lame in-film references to the original), instead of pushback about how this is a reboot instead of a sequel (which is the actual source of the hyperbolic "destroys my childhood" argument), instead of pushback about how unfunny the trailer looks or how the cast doesn't seem that funny in interviews (really? The various "I'm doing an improv character!" versions of the original film's theme song?), instead of pushback about how confusing the original trailer was (in that people couldn't tell whether it was a reboot or a sequel).....we're all talking about sexism and feminism.

Which is about as far afield as you can get when discussing the actual entertainment value of the film. The stuff I mentioned that we aren't talking about? All of that is relevant to the film's entertainment value. The "we're fighting sexist trolls" thing? Got nothin' to do with how good or funny the film is.

That's my point. There's no attempt (so far) to really say how great the film is on its own, or how funny it is, or to refute the arguments about how it should be a sequel and not a reboot or how uninspired it seems in many ways. Those are completely ignored. Instead, Sony and the cast are very often discussing the sexist reaction to the film and how stupid that is. That's how they're leaning on the casting and reaction to the casting, instead of on the quality of the film itself.

I agree that, by and large, any backlash will be pretty minor. But I think it'd be less among fans who already weren't going to see it, and more among fans and non-fans who might've been on the fence.

Wait, what? Is this reverting back to "YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF SEXIST" argument?

I couldn't give a FLYING **** if it were a transgender-fox-kin Attack Helicopter Identifying Man Bear Pig being cast. The bottom line is that the trailer combined with their not-so strategic and desperate marketing attempts to salvage the film is the cause of their failures. This is what happens when corporations become too greedy and try to milk a franchise. The ONLY successful entity to do so has been LFL/Disney, because despite how evil Disney may be, they sure know how to NOT completely ruin an entire fanbase's expectations on quality.

The mere fact that this is a REBOOT of all things is a damn slap in the face to begin with. The FACT that the trailer revealed nothing of quality for me to say "maybe I should go see this" is astounding, especially when in brandishes the Ghostbuster logo. How about the craptacular "jokes" and forced stereotypical roles on individuals with mediocre acting history? How about the fact that the ORIGINAL Ghostbusters wasn't intended to be a "comedy" at all? This entire trailer in it's entirety is just a horrible manifestation of a greedy studio trying to squeeze whatever money they can.

This is already a piece of ****** film, and I don't need anyone to try and justify it's existence. Stop trying to defend it and most certainly, don't hide behind "YOU'RE A MISOGYNIST CIS-MALE SCUM" argument, you'll lose all respect from any sensible Human being that still has a firing neuron in their brain.

Last edited:
... you'll lose all respect from any sensible Human being that still has a firing neuron in their bran.
HA! I'm not one to point out spelling errors on posts. I have enough myself... but come on, that was great.

BC0007.jpg

I think the spin from Sony PR against the small handful of legit bad apples was a masterstroke. Entitled fanboy culture kicked and screamed, then got added into the mess. Some of the articles on both sides are completely asinine, but whether the movie is good or bad, this whiny immaturity amongst a certain faction of adult fans is finally being called out. This stuff is way more entertaining than the movie could ever be, and I'm hoping there is at least one good book written on the topic when all is said and done.

Wait, what? Is this reverting back to "YOU'RE ALL A BUNCH OF SEXIST" argument?

Most of the discussion surrounding the film in the press has been either your standard press junket/talk show rounds about how much fun it was to make and look how charming we are in person when we do a folk music version of the theme song, or it's been endless thinkpieces on how wrong anyone is who dares to criticize the film based on information available thus far.

Much of the anti-criticism...er....criticism...has been based around painting critics of the film as something along the lines of man-babies and/or sexist trolls. Mostly because these are (A) straw-man opponents to beat up on, and (B) because this kind of discussion generates clicks.

Much of the anti-criticism...er....criticism...has been based around painting critics of the film as something along the lines of man-babies and/or sexist trolls. Mostly because these are (A) straw-man opponents to beat up on, and (B) because this kind of discussion generates clicks.
They flopped the conversation from "most disliked trailer in Youtube history" to "HA-- WHINY NERDS!". Many hits were generated, many tickets sold, many laughs directed at fans that have been constantly complaining since this thing was announced.

Personally, I just can't wait to see the ECTO tearing up the NYC streets on the big screen.

HA! I'm not one to point out spelling errors on posts. I have enough myself... but come on, that was great.

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/img/large/BC0007.jpg

But Bran still has to make it past the wall so that he can reveal Jon's parentage and -- wait. Sorry. Wrong thread.

I think the spin from Sony PR against the small handful of legit bad apples was a masterstroke. Entitled fanboy culture kicked and screamed, then got added into the mess. Some of the articles on both sides are absolutely asinine, but whether the movie is good or bad, this whiny immaturity amongst a certain faction of adult fans is finally being called out. This stuff is way more entertaining than the movie could ever be, and I'm hoping there is at least one good book written on the topic.

Oh, I agree, actually. They've completely sidestepped all discussion over the film's actual merits, and turned the entire conversation into one about meta-film considerations like feminism and female representation in Hollywood, and the entitlement of fan culture......all while neatly avoiding any actual criticism of the film itself on its merits. That part is genius.

I don't think most of it came from Feig himself. I actually suspect that Feig himself -- and his cast -- have personally been focused on the sexist troll angle because they've personally encountered a lot of it. But I think the suits at Sony took a look at this and recognized the opportunity they'd been handed.

I don't think most of it came from Feig himself. I actually suspect that Feig himself -- and his cast -- have personally been focused on the sexist troll angle because they've personally encountered a lot of it. But I think the suits at Sony took a look at this and recognized the opportunity they'd been handed.
Absolutely. If the movie does well, whoever was heading up the PR on this project at Sony will be getting a nice, hefty raise.

Now...i think they've just earned too much bad blood. I'm not sure if I even can enjoy it now. I don't even want to like it after some of the crap they've piled on.

same goes for bay Turtles. only in that case, I was just against it. as soon as meghan fox said F the fans for having opinion, that pretty much sealed it. I still saw it anyway just to see how bad it was in week 4 at the bargain price....but that was it. i didn't pay for the sequel.

After reading the book, if you've seen all the trailers and now this b roll, you've pretty much seen ALL the movie. and all it has to offer.

Mcarthy smashing the packs. Kevin's 'hide and seak tournament'. the 'secret handshake'. the proton pack prototype.

ugh. feig has that smug look where you just want to punch some sense into him.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4...-chris-hemsworth-melissa-mccarthy-movie-hd_tv

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back