Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

PS As has been pointed out what the hell are they going to put in the crawl given the story takes place immediately after TFA?

I suspect it will be a mix of "remind viewers what happened last time" (not usually found in a SW crawl), with some new "moving the plot forward" stuff related solely to the new film (and especially whatever the first shot is following the crawl - which may not be the Luke-Rey thing. Just because they say they pick up right where they left off doesn't necessarily mean that the opening shot is Luke-Rey on the hill; like ROTJ, it could introduce a plot arc for the new film briefly (DV's visit to the new Death Star) before getting back to the "cliff-hanger" (Han's rescue.)

So, while I don't think it will be as literal a catch-up as to include "Han Solo is dead", I think it will be along the lines of "Rey has located Luke Skywalker. Meanwhile, after their first major defeat at the hands of the Resistance, the First Order is plotting their next move by [NEW STUFF}, while the Resistance [IS ALSO DOING NEW STUFF]." The maybe pan down to "new plot-related setting" for a few moments, then move back to Ach-To.

M

I'm sure the opening crawl will mention something about how the New Republic reacts to the destruction of their capital and Death Star III.

Hopefully this will be more exciting than trade negotiations were over Naboo....or debates in the Senate...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I hope they don't kill off Luke. I hope this one features him as part of the adventure, not just as a trainer.

Then perhaps the third one is where Rey really rises to the lead.

but we already SAW that story.

what are they going to do.. skip ahead 30 years again and kill everyone off without us seeing the jedi fully return?

just disney re treading the same ground

Not guaranteed though,....look what happened in Rogue One:eek

J
Yeah but those were all throwaway characters, and that chapter of the over arcing story is closed. No need to have any of those characters survive. Hell, the whole OT is based on Luke. If they are conitinuing that, he better not die in the episode 8, 9 I can see, but not so soon. I want to see Luke kick ass like we saw vader kick ass, but for longer. :lol

The purpose of the title card, which the Star Wars opening crawl more dramatically replicates, was to let you know what you missed if you hadn't caught last week's episode. It's also a way to sift in "meanwhile" information to set up any new story points the next episode starts with. I, personally, hope TLJ doesn't start on Ahch'to right where TFA ended. I hope the opening pan-down-to-planet scene is the new capitol, or the First Order's redoubt, and then after that cut over to Ahch'to to pick up that tense moment between Luke and Rey.

--Jonah

Heres the crawl.

STAR WARS EPISODE VIII : THE LAST JEDI

Rey, having found Luke, stands at his feet holding out his light saber for about 5 minutes. Rey finally goes to say something, but Luke then tells her there is something behind her. She looks and finds nothing. When she turns back around, Luke is gone again and an x-wing is seen taking off away from the planet. Rey must now go out and look for Luke again all over the galaxy....

How about this... they do this movie, maybe kylo turns to the light side, they whip the first order, snoke flees, Luke finally agrees to train Rey, and set up a new Jedi/bendu (whatever Luke is) academy. Episode IX picks up five years later, during which time leia died. Ragtag first order/knights of ren, led by Snoke attack in a big jedi vs. Knights of ren battle and are ultimately defeated. Luke survives, maybe saved by kylo sacrificing himself. Ans the Skywalker family ends. (Presuming Rey isn't a Skywalker )

I think a fun twist would be not only Kylo getting redeemed but Luke being the hero one last time and at the end of it all he says the time of the Jedi is over,he's the last and there won't be anymore.

And this may sound strange or morbid but....with Carrie's death I somehow see a real way to get Kylo back....maybe he's way close to mom then dad and her dying would be the thing that snaps him back,maybe he hated killing his father but his mother is something that is a place you don't want to go.

Luke can die in this movie. That doesn't mean he can't be in Ep 9. Obi Wan was killed half way through ANH and was around for the whole trilogy.

If Luke dies, it's a lame plot point because there's nothing short of a Star Destroyer planetary barrage that should be able to kill him. There shouldn't be anyone that we've seen in the movie that could fight Luke and win. Plus if they do that I'm done with post ROTJ SW. :) What I want to see is like Yoda vs. Dooku where they try using the Force on Luke and he does something similar to Yoda and just counters their attack tenfold.

The purpose of the title card, which the Star Wars opening crawl more dramatically replicates, was to let you know what you missed if you hadn't caught last week's episode. It's also a way to sift in "meanwhile" information to set up any new story points the next episode starts with. I, personally, hope TLJ doesn't start on Ahch'to right where TFA ended. I hope the opening pan-down-to-planet scene is the new capitol, or the First Order's redoubt, and then after that cut over to Ahch'to to pick up that tense moment between Luke and Rey.

--Jonah

Bless you.

If Luke dies, it's a lame plot point because there's nothing short of a Star Destroyer planetary barrage that should be able to kill him. There shouldn't be anyone that we've seen in the movie that could fight Luke and win. Plus if they do that I'm done with post ROTJ SW. :) What I want to see is like Yoda vs. Dooku where they try using the Force on Luke and he does something similar to Yoda and just counters their attack tenfold.
I would love to see Luke VS Snoke. Or Like VS Ren if it comes down to it, but either way I hope the fighting will be much like ROTS where it is fast paced yet easy to keep up with and less digital and mostly/all real. But then again, at Marks age, that could be a problem to make it all faster-paced. Either way I want to see a huge dual with Luke in it [emoji3].

1sneezing.jpg

"Ahch'to!!"

Bless you.

*tilts head* Snarky or serious?

I think this is what he means

J

It wouldn't surprise me if Ep#9 saw the end of both Luke and Leia. Why not? How is this a betrayal of the franchise?

The OT was 40 years ago. The youngest major actor in the OT has already died. Harrison is like 74yo this year. It IS time for these characters to go, like it or not. If we're not ready for it because we haven't gotten enough post-ROTJ movies with the classic cast yet, well, go take it up with George Lucas. Don't blame Disney for working with the hand they have been dealt.

Disney just wrote a check for $4 billion dollars to own this franchise. They didn't pay all that money for the rights to make one more movie trilogy and then quit. They have no intention of letting it die with Mark Hamill (or anyone else).

Han Solo is dead.
Leia is already dead too. She just doesn't know it yet.
Luke Skywalker is going to die eventually. Probably sooner than later. The only question is when & how.

Gesundheit!

What does that have to do with anything?

To quote Yoda: Everything
:lol

JJ Abrams made the change..sorry, didn't think I'd need to spell that one out. :lol Clearly it stuck if it's being used in 8.

No, Videocopilot did, Jayse Hansen to be more specific.

Looks like Franklin Gothic to me. Was that not the font of the original crawls?

Nope. Besides I am mostly referring to the one used for the episodic title ;)
Can check this: https://youtu.be/eK-lUI3iHnE?t=3m35s
originals on the left and how it should have looked on the right, corrected typefaces, tilt etc

Luke can die in this movie. That doesn't mean he can't be in Ep 9. Obi Wan was killed half way through ANH and was around for the whole trilogy.

Dying and becoming a "force ghost", two very different things.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back