New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

So Teddy, boy, you decided to give it the ol' Elbow Grease after all???..I seem to remember :" I'm not going to bother with that"..LOL

HA! You are correct -- I was indeed NOT going to fuss with it, as I have a build-up of the Masterpiece Models kit that I upgraded with metal parts, so I figured that one was more in line with the hero prop, at least cosmetically on metal parts, and I swore I was going to leave the Wand phaser alone. Buuuuuuut, after I saw several people post the results of hitting it with the fine steel wool and/or scotchbrite pad, I figured I'd give it a go.

I am tempted by the upgraded handle, but I think I'm going to stop with this minor tweak. Seems like if you upgrade the handle, then you gotta upgrade the force indicator readout under the acrylic half-moon on hand unit...and if you do that, then you have to fill in the holes on the aspirator grill...and if you do that, you have to replace the 10-turn knob with one that has proper step beneath it...and if you do THAT...

we'll see how it goes. ;)

I think it is worth repeating that I have collected quite a few phaser replicas over the past 30 years, and the WAND is by far the most accurate I've ever seen for under $200 that boasts so many cool sound effects and mechanical features that mimic the original hero prop. Bravo, WAND Company. Please do the TOS communicator next, then the tricorder.

Couldn't help it...Wand and Co. ready for an away mission!

landingparty.jpg

Attachments

• landingparty.jpg
    landingparty.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 101
I bought mine last week, it came with a defective beam emitter--the inner tube "wobbled"

That's what mine did too. It looked fine at some angles, but I leaned the gun to the right while looking at it, and notice the inner emitter leaned to the right inside the outer tube. I've noticed on a couple of pics that people posted of theirs where the inner emitter looks off too. I may email the Wand company just to ask if the inner piece is supposed to have some give in it for some reason.

Couldn't help it...Wand and Co. ready for an away mission!

Nice! :thumbsup I have the Star Trek Vegas experience communicator that I bought new years ago, and now the Wand phaser (plus the AA phaser before that) but need to get myself a tricorder to complete the set for display.

About a year and a half ago, I went on a quest for a tricorder..I had many of them over the years, sold em or traded em off..just as I started looking, I came across an MR up at auction for buy it now at $150.00..I said to myself "can't be an MR"..it had a pretty crude picture of it up, ..I bought it..it was only up about 5 minutes..turned out it was indeed an MR..I guess I just got lucky...came complete with display case, and works flawlessly...Picked up another non working kit of a Steve Horch, and then I fabricated all my own aluminum parts and built my own Geo tricorder using the Diamond select plastic, with my own electronics..my point is if you "shake the trees" enough, you can find what you are looking for..I for one, refuse to pay the ridiculous prices some of these things go for...I'd rather wait until I come across a good deal. the prices of these toys have gotten far out of hand...

Attachments

• Proppity props01.JPG
    Proppity props01.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
HA! You are correct -- I was indeed NOT going to fuss with it, as I have a build-up of the Masterpiece Models kit that I upgraded with metal parts, so I figured that one was more in line with the hero prop, at least cosmetically on metal parts, and I swore I was going to leave the Wand phaser alone. Buuuuuuut, after I saw several people post the results of hitting it with the fine steel wool and/or scotchbrite pad, I figured I'd give it a go.

I am tempted by the upgraded handle, but I think I'm going to stop with this minor tweak. Seems like if you upgrade the handle, then you gotta upgrade the force indicator readout under the acrylic half-moon on hand unit...and if you do that, then you have to fill in the holes on the aspirator grill...and if you do that, you have to replace the 10-turn knob with one that has proper step beneath it...and if you do THAT...

we'll see how it goes. ;)

I think it is worth repeating that I have collected quite a few phaser replicas over the past 30 years, and the WAND is by far the most accurate I've ever seen for under $200 that boasts so many cool sound effects and mechanical features that mimic the original hero prop. Bravo, WAND Company. Please do the TOS communicator next, then the tricorder.

I am not tempted at all by whomever is making a replacement grip, claiming its "dead on", as the way I figure it, wand scanned an original prop, and used those dimensions, so it would be logical to assume that based on those dimensions they got, the Grip is correct. Now that's not to say that other surviving phaser props may have had a different grip dimensions, or other part dimensions, but hey, I sure don't give a rats rear on that, as that is far too much nitpicking...no two of those props were EXACTLY alike..at this price point, its more than acceptable to me, and anything else should be at this price, or thereabouts...They are not cut diamonds...they are toys...they may have metal parts, but still toys nonetheless..

Last edited:
I am not tempted at all by whomever is making a replacement grip, claiming its "dead on", as the way I figure it, wand scanned an original prop, and used those dimensions, so it would be logical to assume that based on those dimensions they got, the Grip is correct.

Actually The Wand Company has admitted that the handle is to thin. It was simply an oversight during the design process. With that said, the handle still looks really good. For those that want a bit more accuracy it sounds as though there are a few options out there.

Actually The Wand Company has admitted that the handle is to thin. It was simply an oversight during the design process. With that said, the handle still looks really good. For those that want a bit more accuracy it sounds as though there are a few options out there.

Even with that being the case, I can live with it. I can accept it far easier than how badly MR did with the hand unit on their phaser... I do believe though,, that the grip on Wands unit , is the same thickness as the Diamond select, but again, to me, its not that far off.

I prefer the Art Asylum toy over the MR for obvious reasons. The MR is ugly, the P1 is terrible, the front of the P2 is way too high and the cooling fins at the back don't fit the body of the P2.

The Art Asylum on the other hand was based on the HMS Phasers that were used in the DS9 episode Trials and Tribulations. AND an Art Asylum Phaser was used in the Enterprise episode In a Mirror Darkly, making it a screen accurate prop.

The Wand Co Phaser is the best thing money can buy. And it's almost accurate to the Greg Jein owned Hero prop. It blows the MR and the AA right out of the sky. I love mine and I'm not buying a new handle for it. I see no reason to turn an excellent €150.00 replica into a €300.00 replica that is only a little bit more accurate to one of the hand made originals. I'm sure there must have been an original with a thinner handle as well.

Actually The Wand Company has admitted that the handle is to thin.

Can you give us your source?

One thing I noticed about the inner emitter is that if the emitter dial is torked a little too tight at either end the inner emitter leans slightly, when I back off a bit it seems to go away. I'm not sure if that's your issue or not.

Greg

I prefer the Art Asylum toy over the MR for obvious reasons. The MR is ugly, the P1 is terrible, the front of the P2 is way too high and the cooling fins at the back don't fit the body of the P2.

The Art Asylum on the other hand was based on the HMS Phasers that were used in the DS9 episode Trials and Tribulations. AND an Art Asylum Phaser was used in the Enterprise episode In a Mirror Darkly, making it a screen accurate prop.

The Wand Co Phaser is the best thing money can buy. And it's almost accurate to the Greg Jein owned Hero prop. It blows the MR and the AA right out of the sky. I love mine and I'm not buying a new handle for it. I see no reason to turn an excellent €150.00 replica into a €300.00 replica that is only a little bit more accurate to one of the hand made originals. I'm sure there must have been an original with a thinner handle as well.

Can you give us your source?

The Art Asylum phaser is packaged with original series images and promoted as an original series prop and not a DS9 episode Trials and Tribble-ations replica. So technically it's not screen accurate the way it's sold. Plus the chinese manufacturer screwed up, compared to the HMS studios prototype, by doing curved side rails on the final DST/AA Phaser.

Here's the Wand shown on the right. It's quite a bit thinner than the accurate MR handle, and the Wand doesn't use the brass nut.

15821536365_52b6f6e630_o_zps9259a1ed.jpg

The Master Replicas phaser is accurate except for the P1 shape. In regards to the back fins, Steve Dymszo (Master Replicas Industrial Designer) admits they went off the right side of the Jein phaser which had the odd angled gap and applied it to both sides. But the Master Replicas retains the off center P2 body seam while the Wand does not.

The Master Replicas has superior metal parts, though if the Wand company said if it didn't need to keep their price under $150 they'd have used the same type parts. The Master Replicas was weighted too heavy by the metal body, but it's more accurate overall. The Wand is weighted better though in this case. The Wands power meter is too low and the graphics inaccurate, the 10-turn too low, the P1 emitter nozzle doesn't extend, the handle is too thin and the side dial just a smudge too big. The Wand doesn't have the same amount of phaser sounds as the Master Replicas either.

That said, the Wand comes pretty close to the Master Replicas (and the original Jein prop) in look which is a testament to the Wand companies efforts despite the lower cost they had to deal with. The Wand does bring its own interesting features; opening side dilithium chamber with crystal and illuminated power meter with 3 different modes, one to function as a remote. If you go to page 19 post #455 of this thread you can see MR and Wand comparison pics.

In the end the Wand phaser is a remote first and a decent prop replica second.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I wonder if Flitz metal polish might work??

I tried a bit of polishing with Flitz but it didn't work as well as the white diamond compound. And it's really messy and more difficult to clean out of the nooks and crannies, particularly on the P2 emitter and fins. But with a bit of elbow grease it should work okay.

I anyone can send me accurate dimensions for the handle I will create a 3D model and post it to Thingaverse. Then anyone that wants one can have it 3D printed.

The MR like the wand co. version is still inaccurate to the source material but one can never have to many phasers

Well the offer still stands. If I can get accurate dimensions I will model up and post the file(s) to Thingaverse where they can be downloaded and used for free.

I am not tempted at all by whomever is making a replacement grip, claiming its "dead on", as the way I figure it, wand scanned an original prop, and used those dimensions, so it would be logical to assume that based on those dimensions they got, the Grip is correct. Now that's not to say that other surviving phaser props may have had a different grip dimensions, or other part dimensions, but hey, I sure don't give a rats rear on that, as that is far too much nitpicking...no two of those props were EXACTLY alike..at this price point, its more than acceptable to me, and anything else should be at this price, or thereabouts...They are not cut diamonds...they are toys...they may have metal parts, but still toys nonetheless..

We have the owners of Wand on the TrekPropZone relating their story on developing and designing the Wand Replica directly. Due to costs constraints and their take on making an idealized version, the Wand phaser is not identical to the Jein phaser. They admit the handle is too thin and other things are not accurate, but it's a decent prop made with an eye to getting as much accuracy as possible within a budget and with concerns for consumer interaction as a remote. It's amazing what they did for the budget they had. Hats off to them for going the extra mile.

Buying a third party handle that is accurate still keeps this cost under what a Master Replicas phaser goes for on eBay.

For those who have a deeper knowledge of the original prop and want accuracy, there is a handle sale thread here:
http://www.therpf.com/f75/wand-co-phaser-screen-accurate-custom-replacement-handle-229959/

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back