New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

I can't find my photo of the underside of the phaser 2, but there is a small white slot on the bottom, near the grills on the back. It won't be on the final release, as it is just used for the coding. Other than that, the bottom of the phaser 2 is pretty much plain except for a slight seam line.

Also, the finish on the "aluminum" parts are not complete, as this is still a prototype. The Phaser 1 will have a matte finish, the one with a glossy finish is merely the one that houses the electronics. So keep in Mind that this is not the finished product.

looks good to me the only thing I don't like is the fins

I hope we don't see the seam running vertically on the back metal heat sink fins in the final piece.

That looks to be the most accurate P1 we've ever seen and the P2 is looking pretty good too. I'm still kind of geeking out to seeing a crystal in the dilithium chamber.

Did your friend try the phaser out? I'm curious how he liked the vibrating "force feedback".

Last edited:
The Wand Company said the paints and finishes are not final yet. They are trying to get a less shiny metal finish and a possibly a satin finish for the grey, but it all depends on production costs and timing. They have to hit that November date.

The good: A phaser with an overall config FINALLY (pretty damn) accurate! And- the price! The iffy: TOO big side dial. Too thick side ribs (?) The bad: God-awful glossy metal parts. The certainty: I'm buying two! :) And- curious: As RAC recently suggested- why not N-size batteries in handle? Hmm...

why is anyone saying side dial is too big? i have looked at pics of Greg Jein prop and, while it MAY be a skoosh bigger, I don't understand why someone would say it is WAY TOO BIG. What are you comparing it to? Any pic I have ever seen of screen used props has the side dial at this same size...unless you are talking millimeters difference.

For $150, even if the metal parts ARE shiny, this is still hands down the most accurate licensed replica for the money I have ever seen.

I had a scour of google and found what seems to be a screen used phaser to compare the dial :
WestCoastP2-Grid-Left.jpg

The side dial is barely any bigger, if at all, upon comparing Greg Jein pictures and the Comic-Con photos. It's just located closer to the bottom than the Jein phaser and it makes it look bigger that way.

As to why things are where they are and why, well I guess they have to engineer this to suit their needs and the general audience, not ours.

Keep in mind this is not an expensive high end replica. It's a gift that they got this much accuracy and detail in a $150USD remote control replica. I admit too to picking nits, but I'm sure anyone here could buy this just to tear it apart and rework it to their taste for the pocket change of $150 starting price. And, I look forward to seeing that.

Last edited:
well said, but even then, compared to a high end replica, licensed or otherwise, my eyeballs are hard pressed to pick ANY nits (shininess of metal aside).

I imagine a true purist could nit the handle twist lock and a thousand other things -- but when you start getting down to THAT level of inspection, where does one stop? seems like you have to go all the way and make sure the grain-of-wheat lightbulb in clear emitter is exactly the same as well as all of the inner workings, all of which were, to my knowledge, handcrafted and would prove challenging to get exactly right. when you start striving for accuracy on that level, seems like the only way to truly satisfy the need is to own Greg Jein's phaser.

Not looking for debate or trying to stir things up -- and trust me, i have nitpicked this kind of stuff myself over the years. But for whatever reason I have relaxed my own nitpicking and find this latest offering exceptional. But for those who enjoy the details, nit pick away! ;)

another way of looking at it is simply applauding how much they got right -- shape, rising site hood, removable handle, a hand unit that separates from pistol etc., all of which are features a remote truly wouldn't need to still sell well -- and then adding a cool base and storage case to boot.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back