Rogue One Vader costume

Kermit Eller looked good in the suit, did he have a big chest like Prowse and a bodybuilder physique? Because you have to have a big chest or bodybuilder bod to look that good in the suit, right?.

No, Kermit worked at Don Post Studios. He was tall but not a body builder. He wore the suit for public appearances such as the Academy Awards, The Donny & Marie Show, Midnight Special with Wolfman Jack, as well as the footprint ceremony at the Manns Chinese Theater.

I wear the ANH Vader costume and the capes going over the armor is very forgiving to those of us that don't have Prowse's physique. The inner capes hide a lot where the ESB/ROTJ capes show the exact size of the person in the costume.

Right, but the other dude in the thread was attacking Spencer Wilding for not having a big enough chest. Implying the suit only looks good enough for movie on bodybuilder chest of Prowse sized...Was Bob Anderson a bodybulder? I know he was an olympic fencing expert and such and 6'1.

No, Kermit worked at Don Post Studios. He was tall but not a body builder. He wore the suit for public appearances such as the Academy Awards, The Donny & Marie Show, Midnight Special with Wolfman Jack, as well as the footprint ceremony at the Manns Chinese Theater.

I wear the ANH Vader costume and the capes going over the armor is very forgiving to those of us that don't have Prowse's physique. The inner capes hide a lot where the ESB/ROTJ capes show the exact size of the person in the costume.

It does make sense for Vader's suit to be in better condition before the fight with the rebels. And considering its right after it would make sense for it be all beat up.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I know quite a few 501st Vaders that beat the heck out of the Rogue One DV costume. I don't think it's an issue with the actor, either. I see people with all kinds of different physiques fill the costume out and look great. If the costume had been crafted around his measurements (not sure here, but it would seem to be the smart way to go for a big budget film), then the only thing left would be how he was put into the costume. I would think that there would have been a bunch of test fittings and reviews for this character, given his importance and expectations.

I realize that I'm looking at Vader with a more critical eye than your average movie-goer, or even your average fan for that matter, but the costume *specifically in the Mustafar fortress scene* looked off. The costume looked better IMO in the corridor fight scene at the end. Two actors were listed as portraying Vader so maybe that has something to do with it.

That said, I really liked the way Vader was used in the movie overall. Mine are just minor quibbles with a solidly enjoyable film.

Nontheless his physics and body is totally different to Prowse and all the costume parts dont fit. Depending the fact how much passion they invested in all the other costumes its hard to understand why they failed with Vader ....the costume which stands in focus the most and they promised to replicate the ANH costume as good as possible.
Is it confirmed that Brian worked on that costume or did he other jobs in the movie?

Did they promise to replicate the ANH suit as closely as possible though? I'm not saying they didn't, or that they should have or shouldn't have (in my view that would've been nice but not as essential as some feel), just wondering if perhaps they feel they didn't "fail" at all. Maybe it looks how they wanted it to?

All the promo material leading to the release of Rogue One showed the inner robe worn under the chest armor. Hot Toys (which is usually accurate) based theirs on this. Could the filmmakers have digitally altered the robe positioning after fans pointed out it should be over the armor, just like how they fixed the neck gap on the helmet?

Check out how thick that space diaper is.
FB_IMG_1482245309259.jpg

What magazine is that from?

If its spencer wilding suited up, that pic supports the stature/fit comments ive seen. The guy is huge, but his chest isnt... The issue, from what i can see, is that the helmet is too low and the chest too shallow.

His chest looks so sunken in. Is it the guy's body shape or a problem with the costume? I know the guy is big but something is wrong there.

His chest looks so sunken in. Is it the guy's body shape or a problem with the costume? I know the guy is big but something is wrong there.

To me it actually looked like the chest and the shoulders were either stuffed or the way the armor was put on made them look really broad, almost comically broad.
I liked the helmet, not full on ANH, but a decent looking helmet, but the chest/shoulders and the way he walked was kinda off for me. I've never seen Vader walking while leaning backwards and holding his that head high. Mind you in the end scene he looked and moved right, it's the Mordor penthouse scene that looked way off to me and it was reportedly two different dudes playing those scenes.

I personally think what's throwing off the look in the R1 style is that the shoulder profile is much larger than the ANH one. Additionally, comparing the ANH to the R1, proportionally, the helmet on the R1 looks slightly larger and "wider" than the ANH helmet's.

Namely, with the ANH, the rear dome sat up higher from his shoulders/back leaving a slight but noticable space, where as the R1 helmet's dome extends further down.

As for the shoulder profile, the ANH appeared to have a more continuous downward curve from the neck, where the R1, it's more squared off and breaks the profile. So I think this issue could be blamed on how the collar and shoulders were sculpted and fitted

Once when I saw Peter Mayhew, he said during filming for ESB, they used someone else in the Chewbacca suit for a few scenes because Peter wasn't available. They ended up reshooting the scenes with Peter because the replacement moved differently so it didn't look like Chewbacca.

It's unlikely a new Vader suit and actor would look exactly like OT Vader. But I do agree it could have been done better. The suit didn't seem to fit right. Maybe they built the suit then found the actor and didn't do much to alter the suit to fit him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I'm just glad that they didn't completely overhaul vader's costume beyond what they did. Look at how much they refined the TK armor. What they did to vader is child's play by comparison

Once when I saw Peter Mayhew, he said during filming for ESB, they used someone else in the Chewbacca suit for a few scenes because Peter wasn't available. They ended up reshooting the scenes with Peter because the replacement moved differently so it didn't look like Chewbacca.

It's unlikely a new Vader suit and actor would look exactly like OT Vader. But I do agree it could have been done better. The suit didn't seem to fit right. Maybe they built the suit then found the actor and didn't do much to alter the suit to fit him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
THIS.
I saw a making of featurette on Halloween and Debra Hill was gonna double for Michael Myers for some distant shots and they just scrapped it because her posture and walk was totally different to Nick Castle's. It's very apparent in Halloween 2 that it's a different actor playing the character. Also you can bring ROTS but Hayden didn't do much more than being strapped to a table and standing. Even ANH Vader walks very different to ESB and ROTJ Vader. The only scene in ANH where I see the Vader from the other two is when he goes down to the hangar to check the Falcon.

I'm just glad that they didn't completely overhaul vader's costume beyond what they did. Look at how much they refined the TK armor. What they did to vader is child's play by comparison

I don't pick up on Stormtrooper stuf, but the Vader suit didn't look atrocious to me. I recognized it as ANH-style, I mean there's differences between scenes in the same movie, there are 3 visibly different helmets in ESB, then there's the chest armor and the shoulder bells changing position between scenes and he just simply goes matt from shiny in ROTJ.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back