New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

Glad you got Johns kits. They are for the discriminating prop collector. Yes, there is an authority that knows it all…Greg Jein. Greg hung around the original set and has talked to the prop guys for the original series.

Word has it that some years ago Greg Jein himself bought some props from someone that he felt were real. Turns out they were made by guy named mark English, who was a noted Star trek TOS prop forger, in the 1970's..Paint, fiberglass and all, even distressed them to make em look like they had been around since the 1960's..

Word has it that some years ago Greg Jein himself bought some props from someone that he felt were real. Turns out they were made by guy named mark English, who was a noted Star trek TOS prop forger, in the 1970's..Paint, fiberglass and all, even distressed them to make em look like they had been around since the 1960's..

And Greg identified those publicly as fakes ultimately…so your point is?

The Jein TOS "velcro" Shore Leave episode hero prop he has came from a direct chain of ownership, unlike the Mark English B&W he bought. There is ample proof it's legit and that Greg has the authority you seem to question.

Glad you got Johns kits. They are for the discriminating prop collector. Yes, there is an authority that knows it all…Greg Jein. Greg hung around the original set and has talked to the prop guys for the original series.
Also John, who's close friends with Greg Jein (and was friends with Wah Chang for many years), and who's had access to Jein's entire collection. Not to mention scratch built replicas after examining the originals, which is exactly how you become intimate with them. John authenticates original props for auction houses, including TOS items, and has been hired by Profiles in History numerous times to authenticate and even restore all kinds of original props and models. He is widely recognized as an expert.

Yes, to what he said (above).

There's a reason John Long's props are as accurate as they are. Greg gave him full access. Greg even let John take props home to study!

And to go back on topic, I will say that the Wand phaser wins hands down for fun and is also fairly accurate. High praise from the detail obsessed crowd.

Last edited:
okay, in the event that these pics help others decide whether or not to polish their wand (hey...wait a sec)

anyways, here be the pics...done with scotchbrite pad and very fine steel wool -- sorry about no "before" shots, but you'll have to trust me that the slight polish is a great improvement...

Well, here’s my take. I’ve been reading all of this and I’m shaking my head. I’ve made props for a few amateur films. The quality and accuracy was only enough for what had to be filmed given the time and budget allowed. If someone came along and made a mass market prop which replicated what I had created I would have been happy to buy it and use it instead. It would have been symmetrical and clean. If you want accuracy then just shell out for the original decrepit hero’s made by Jeffries and Wah Ming. The key here is replica. Whether MR, Wand or other made it, it’s just that, a replica nothing more. The MR’s are fine, and so are the Wands. Comparing and arguing their various merits seems to me to be pointless. If you own an MR, don’t be offended by the positive comments regarding the Wand version. You beat us all to a fine replica of a hero prop. For those who own a Wand, be happy that there’s finally an affordable mass-market fairly accurate and durable plaything.

As I said before, if you really want accurate then the MR and Wand should be made out of the same materials and have the same asymmetry and physical defects as the original, neither of them does. Had they been made that way I wouldn’t have bought one, 1 because it wasn’t perfect and 2, it was a replica not the original. Personally, I’m happy having a close replica that looks like it came off a Phaser assembly line from the 23rd century.

Greg

okay, in the event that these pics help others decide whether or not to polish their wand (hey...wait a sec)

anyways, here be the pics...done with scotchbrite pad and very fine steel wool -- sorry about no "before" shots, but you'll have to trust me that the slight polish is a great improvement...

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/tedalaneckel/IMG_2920_2_zps6a2985c2.jpg

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/tedalaneckel/IMG_2922_2_zps6292fee8.jpg

Stop polishing your wand in secret and tell us the formula to how much steel wool (what grade? 000?) and how much scotchbrite (what pad grade) you did and any techniques.

Comparing and arguing their various merits seems to me to be pointless.

You must be new here. :)

One of the points of this board is to have these kinds of discussions. The MR, the Wand, the HMS/Rodd and the toy version have pluses and minuses, are different price points and have different features.

Personally I believe the Wand phaser is the best mass produced licensed phaser to date. The major parts are fairly accurate and many of the issues can be corrected. I was never a fan of the all metal construction of the MR. Because of that and the shape of the phaser 1 I sold it years ago.

As to the amount spent to enhance the accuracy I say go for it if you are so inclined. I've seen folks spend a lot more than the Wand price on kits. I'm in the process of making some changes now and having a great time.

- - - Updated - - -

Stop polishing your wand in secret and tell us the formula to how much steel wool (what grade? 000?) and how much scotchbrite (what pad grade) you did and any techniques.

I used the green scrotchbrite pad and it worked well. Purchased at Lowes.

I posted mine a few pages back and got it as polished as the pics above using JUST scotchbrite (2 pads) which I cut into smaller squares for getting around he nozzle. I had no luck with steel wool or Dremel,
Used green painters tape to protect the p1 while doing the side rails. The top plate is treated with paint or something and takes a little more polishing but it's aluminum underneath, just keep at it.

I'm going to spring for a new handle, I'm a fussy phaser nit picker. 'Anything' I can do to it to make it one step closer to full accuracy makes me happy, even though there are other issues on the Wand. I have 2 but am seriously considering a 3rd to tear down and try to get as close to 100% accurate, but possibly lose some light/sound features.

I had originally hoped to tear down a Wand and incorporate my Jlong P1, but the shape difference on the P1 cradle is waaay off.

HA! Heaven knows I spend more time polishing my wand than i should.

I have no formula and, unfortunately, no exact info on the scothbrite pad i used -- it was a grey pad (it might not even be the scotchbrite brand) and it was fairly soft and fibers fairly thin -- I also have a few green pads, which I believe came with my Rodd.com phaser kit i got way back when -- as it ws a little stiffer than my grey pad, I used the grey one. No idea where it came from.

As for the steel wool, no idea on that either, but I will say it must be some of the finest you can buy because the metal filaments are very very fine.

If this helps anybody, here is exactly what I did, after first protecting the body and clear emitter tip with blue painters masking tape:

1) felt polish pad on dremel at lowest variable rate setting -- did this for about 5 minutes on and off, it made it a little shinier, perhaps
2) switched to grey scotchbrite type pad, rubbed firmly for a few minutes
3) switched to very fine steel wool, rubbed firmly for a few minutes

That's about it...depending on the exact pad or steel wool you use, and the amount of elbow grease you put into it, your mileage may vary. If I were to do it al over again knowing what I know now, I would just use the pad & steel wool.

Bottom line -- I was VERY hesitant to do anything as I would rather live with the silver matte finish and not a nozzle that looked screwed up fro a botched polish job, and it was only after a few other brave souls polished theirs that I felt confident enough to take the leap...and, having done so with success, thought I would share with others in hopes that it would give them any needed assurance should they be on the fence about it.

One of the points of this board is to have these kinds of discussions. The MR, the Wand, the HMS/Rodd and the toy version have pluses and minuses, are different price points and have different features.
No question. Spacerone has a very impressive thread dedicated to upgrading the DST toys, and it's gotten me excited to upgrade mine instead of just chucking it. :)

Personally I believe the Wand phaser is the best mass produced licensed phaser to date.
Absolutely. I 150% agree. Possibly 2 - 3% more. :p

As to the amount spent to enhance the accuracy I say go for it if you are so inclined. I've seen folks spend a lot more than the Wand price on kits. I'm in the process of making some changes now and having a great time.
And if that's not the whole point of this hobby, what is?

- - - Updated - - -

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/tedalaneckel/IMG_2920_2_zps6a2985c2.jpg

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad137/tedalaneckel/IMG_2922_2_zps6292fee8.jpg
That looks GORGEOUS. Looks like real aluminum. I may polish my own nozzle (ahem) now that I've seen yours. Big boy. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone have any issues with the sight grill being a bit misshapen or not parallel at the bottom (where it meets the clear acrylic). It looks like mine wasn't molded well and is a bit off at the bottom.

Ok, no more arguing about which one is the closest replica! I've made mods to mine and IT is the best! Behold!

410520711.jpg

And Greg identified those publicly as fakes ultimately…so your point is?

The Jein TOS "velcro" Shore Leave episode hero prop he has came from a direct chain of ownership, unlike the Mark English B&W he bought. There is ample proof it's legit and that Greg has the authority you seem to question.

My POINT is Redshirt, that originally, Greg thought them to be authentic and bought them as such. after closer examination later, he discovered that they were not authentic. It's not a question of questioning anyones authority. I am simply saying that even someone like Greg, cannot know every single nuance of these things.on the shoreleave unit, perhaps since he owns it, but not on each and every surviving tos phaser out there. there are just too many variables, as was mentioned earlier, these were made by hand. Back in 1994 I believe, I spoke by phone with Wah Chang,, he told me of all the Tricorders and comms he had been shown by all the people that brought them to him to look at over the years he never saw one he made. Are they out there? well, a few are,sure. But again, as with the comms, there are differences..So I'd say get one that you like: the best Phaser, comm , Tricorder,, and thats what I did. I have John's stuff..I also have other makers.I won't close the door, just because I have John's pieces, since they are touted to be the most dead on..Speaking with john, I am sure they are,of the particular ones he had access to. and thats fine..I'm not going to again go into why I think the MR phaser is a Dog. I made that clear enough, and still feel that way. I'm happy with the Wand unit as it is...My preference, my taste.

My POINT is Redshirt, that originally, Greg thought them to be authentic and bought them as such. after closer examination later, he discovered that they were not authentic. It's not a question of questioning anyones authority. I am simply saying that even someone like Greg, cannot know every single nuance of these things.on the shoreleave unit, perhaps since he owns it, but not on each and every surviving tos phaser out there. there are just too many variables.

The mid grades and the heroes phasers came out of the same molds. There are "tells" in the legit shells among other things. Greg know this and much more.

So I'd say get one that you like: the best Phaser, comm , Tricorder,, and thats what I did. I have John's stuff..I also have other makers.I won't close the door, just because I have John's pieces, since they are touted to be the most dead on.

You should read my posts. I have quite a collection myself and enjoy them all for what they are. I said I liked the Wand several times just as much as the MR phaser. Not sure what you mean by "close the door". I enjoy the Wand phaser, the MR phaser, my upgraded AA/DST phaser, my 3 JLong P1 phasers, etc. On phasers the door is never closed and neither is my wallet, much to my wife's dismay.

I think the MR phaser is a Dog. I made that clear enough, and still feel that way. I'm happy with the Wand unit as it is...My preference, my taste.

In my opinion the MR is an overall more accurate phaser (maybe your criteria of detail importance is different than mine), but I too prefer the Wand overall for it's near accuracy, fun and what it offers and how it's weighted. and there is our common ground. I did say I have 4 of the Wand Phasers, right?

Last edited:
The mid grades and the heroes phasers came out of the same molds. There are "tells" in the legit shells among other things. Greg know this and much more.

Well. good that he knows..shame he missed that when he bought the English stuff at first, but we all make mistakes.

The point is you should read my posts. I have quite a collection myself and enjoy them all for what they are. I said I liked the Wand several times just as much as the MR phaser. Not sure what you mean by "close the door". I enjoy the Wand phaser, the MR phaser, my upgraded AA/DST phaser, etc. On phasers the door is never closed and neither is my wallet, much to my wife's dismay.

What I meant is that I won't stop collecting once I get one that is what is said to be 100% dead on..I did read your posts, Redshirt..One of the better parts of my health that is left, is I can still read read reasonably well. By your reply it looked like you had difficulty understanding what my point was on Greg, so I clarified it.

I stand by the MR as an overall more accurate phaser, but I too prefer the Wand overall for it's near accuracy, fun and what it offers and how it's weighted. and there is our common ground. I did say I have 4 of them, right?

Yes indeed..we do have common ground in the sense that we like the wand piece, but in my case one of them is enough. Wives are a concern unfortunately when it comes to the money we spend on these toys..Since I have no little kids, and the one I have is grown and married,, and as long as I keep my end of the finances up, my wife, much to her credit, never gives me an issue on anything I buy, However, I will draw the line..there is only a certain amount I will spend on any of these things, since I have been at it from practically the beginning, and have seen how ridiculously high in price they have risen, and to me, its taking advantage of fandom, and I wont go for it no matter how accurate it is if it goes beyond what I .am willing to pay.

Sorry about your health, my parts are less reliable than the Wand phaser too. Some of my parts aren't even original anymore, so I'm not even accurate to the original me.

Last edited:
Sorry Redshirt, I was sure I posted my replies outside the quotes but it looks like only the last part made it outside your quote
....Either it was a site glitch, or my system is acting up again..I know its not my eyes! LOL..I do enjoy a good debate, but I think we both said all there is to say about this particular subject.I should have my replacement wand phaser by Wednesday. Hopefully, it wont have any manufacturer defects this time, They sent me a tracking number and it goes out tomorrow....

I know it's been said before, but the Wand Phaser case looks more like a foam/fabric combo with this nice little detail in the pattern of the foam. It lifts the prop offerings to new heights as to what you get for the money.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back