Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Models, W.I.P. photos, and Con Results!

Re: Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

Those mirrored rivets are something I never would have spotted on my own. Thanks for that. I wonder if they had bottlecaps on both shoulders to start with and decided it was overkill?

Everything riveted down okay without too much trouble. There's a small hairline crack by one of the rivets, but I'm not too worried about it.

The "TEXAS" patch is something @Hamsterstyle modelled up for his own costume, and in the absence of any alternative options at the moment I printed one out for myself. Grateful he made them available. I did some resizing, and bent it with a heat gun to fit the curve of the pad. I actually think the print lines help make it look a little embroidered, but I doubt anyone's going to be looking that closely anyway.

Returning to my air ventilation idea, I pulled the trigger on two different sets of fans today with much higher pressure output numbers. One is a 40mm fan, one is a 60mm fan. I figure I will try both, see what works best, and return whatever's left over. I'm kinda hoping the 40mm does the job, since 60mm is starting to push what I can safely fit in the airbag without it being visible in the outline of the thing. Wattage on these things is kinda high, so I suspect I'll have to be swapping batteries throughout the day, but that seems like a fair trade-off.

However.

I started thinking about where the air intake for this whole system could be. My first impulse was "Just put it somewhere behind the head, or under the bag", which would work just fine, but then I started worrying about what might happen if the wig's hair got sucked into the intake and into one of these fans. Then, a friend jokingly suggested I should just put a pod filter on the thing. When I asked what a pod filter was, they informed me that that was the actual name for the conical intake vent parts that stick forward over Joe's shoulders. Which... could actually work as a suitable air intake, if I replaced my 3d printed part with a real thing...

Cue me disappearing down a rabbit hole of internet research for the better part of 6 hours. After much lamentation, I generally found that a filter of the dimensions required is akin to finding a unicorn. Where I ultimately landed was with the K&N RC-2540 Chrome Air Filter. There were a couple other viable options, but they involved shipping from the UK and were generally very rare parts for a specific brand of ATV only in Britain. No doubt the actual screen filter was the product of some digging in an australian junkyard somewhere, as almost all of the car emblems and other motor parts are sourced from that neck of the world. The order came in today, though, and these look like a fair and workable compromise:

They are not perfect by any means. Not quite as tapered or long as I'd like, or a bit too wide... but dimensionally, it's close enough to get the job done. I modeled up the top 'nut' to attach to the filter and 3d printed out a couple quick copies that I'm thinking of molding overnight and doing a brass cold-cast of.

I could tell there was some manner of stamped text on the brass part of the filter cap, but couldn't make out what it said (or tracking the parts down might have been a lot easier) so I just... made something dumb up. Model is available here in case anyone is interested.

What this all ultimately means is that I have an intake that I can actually draw air in through... so I guess I'm going to be trying to make Joe's rebreather system work as intended, minus the part where the bag actually holds pressure and inflates. My hilariously rudimentary plan is something along the lines of:

We'll see how far that gets. I still haven't figured out how I'm going to make the airbag yet, or from what material. I've been to plenty of fabric stores and not found anything quite approaching the nature of the leather that seems to be in use there.

Truth be told, I was not satisfied with the K&N filters I had just due to their squat profile. I ended up rereading the other Immortan Joe thread and saw that Bigboss1o1 had found Dirt Devil F2 filters that looked kinda close to the part - and also that they were the kind of thing my local Walmart carried. I took a quick drive down and bought a pair just to toy around with.

bOrtBNOl.jpg

My print on the left, Dust Devil filter in the middle, K&N on the right. The print I came up with was eyeballed as best as I could based on the scale of the phone pad right below the filter, which I have for reference... but that's not to say it is entirely correct. The Dust Devil filter was obviously a bit too long, but it had a better profile in line with the sort of thing I was shooting for. Soooo...

zblCFZDl.jpg

I trimmed it down about three quarters of an inch off from the bottom, to make the outside diameter of the filter at its widest 60mm. Then I modeled up and printed a quick bottom 'cap' to test out:

6HaK9D0l.jpg

I actually think, out of all the options, this one is my favorite right now. I sanded the little grip nubs off the top cap and I think I can get away with painting the filter to look like the movie one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Could take out some paper folds to get closer to the look of the original, also. Nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shiny and chrome! Witness!

Fab job mate, looking first rate!

I'm glad that filter worked out for you my man I gotta rebuild the costume from scratch again (it got destroyed in a move) and this time better so I'll be back on this forum more often I missed you guys anyway

One of the things we've been working on in the background is the rest of the armor that has to be heat-formed. The bicep armor looks pretty straightforward, as it's basically a tube, but the forearms were more complicated. It was apparent from review of the film that Joe's forearm armor has musculature formed onto it in a pretty significant way, and I couldn't find a cheap way out of doing that like I did with the roman armor. Instead, the girlfriend broke out ZBrush and whipped up something that we could work on 3d printing:

These are the 'inside' and 'outside' of the arm armor, respectively, after it had been divided up and thickened for printing. I then printed them out as solid pieces - an outer and inner half for each arm with the design mirrored for left and right wear.

This is obviously not useful or usable in its current form. Much as I wish I could, you can't heat-form plastic PETG over 3d printed plastic. You'll melt the print, and you'll never get the parts to separate. Instead, what we're planning on doing is coating each arm piece in a layer of brush-on mold rubber (Rebound 25, probably), making a master mold, removing the 3d print, and pouring hydrocal or other plaster into the mold to make stone-esque copies of these 3d printed parts. I should then be able to heat form PETG over them to an acceptable extent.

Step one in that process was smoothing these prints out. They were done at 250 micron layers, which is pretty big compared to most of what I print. They've had two coats of Smooth-On's XTC finishing epoxy applied overtop with a soft brush, and are being sanded right now before molding.

Once they're nice and polished, we'll set about doing the rubber molds. I have no idea if this plan is going to work, to be honest - it's possible the plaster or hydrocal copies will leave residue or marring on hot, transparent PETG. Only thing I can do is try it and see at this point.

Overall results look good so far. We did a little experiment today - I made a rubber mold of one of the arms, then made a hydrocal copy of the original 3d printed part. We didn't have quite enough hydrocal on hand, so I filled it with some expanding foam to give it a bit more structure.

Then we headed to the local university, where we had previously discovered a vacuum forming machine buried underneath piles of other crap in one of their workshops.

It took some fiddling, some repairs, and some duct tape, but we brought the thing back to life and got it working. We banged out a quick test pull on some tools that were laying around and it looked like it would work!

This table's definitely not big enough to accommodate the torso, but it's certainly more than sufficient to give the arm a try, so we loaded up some more plastic and threw the hydrocal buck onto the table.

Not bad at all, once we peeled all the film off! Only one problem...

It's a bit too small for my arm. Damn.

We're going to go back to the 3d printed molds and build them up a bit longer with some monster clay and apoxie sculpt, then make rubber molds for each and do hydrocal copies. From there, we should be able to pretty effectively bang out pulls in the 1/16" PETG sheets. It's an arduous process, but at least the end results are getting somewhere. I could probably do this with a heat gun and tons of patience trying to shape it over the hydrocal, but the table makes it a lot easier.

Last edited:

It's only a little step... but it's a satisfying one.

Got all the medals and chains attached up. They're all pinned or nailed through the chestpiece so they have a good bit of structural hold to them, but I'm probably going to glue the medals to the chestpiece itself so they don't flap around so much.

Immortan Joe Progress Log - 3d Modelling and various other bits.

Is that one of the ones I made, I can't remember if you got one? either way it looks fantastic man I love it!!!!

The torso armor is the one I made earlier in this thread from the roman armor I purchased. It's not screen accurate, but it's close enough to get the job done.

Also, fun fact! I tracked down the original GX car emblem. It's from a Datsun Sunny 1200 B110 GX.

That auction is unfortunately already over, buuuuut now I have a good reference image to make a 3d model for the thing.

Further edit: The "XL" emblem is from a Ford Cortina Capri, from the looks of things.

And the 1100 might be from an Austin/Morris rear badge.

Not 100% convinced by that font, and I've seen a lot of other forum users who think it reads "110C" which is also possible, but this is the closest I've seen.

Last edited:

Here's the 3d models I've come up with for these so far.

I6SBgGTl.jpg

I know Hamsterstyle came up with 3d files for these same badges in the other thread, but I always had trouble printing them as it looked like a lot of the normals were flipped. My other rationale, in truth, was that I wanted to make sure I could offer the complete set on Shapeways, which meant it had to be my own work. :p

Once I've confirmed these print properly and at the right scale I will add them to the OP.

Attachments

• I6SBgGTl.jpg
    I6SBgGTl.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:

I finished modelling all of the leg badges, I think, but I'm not happy with the scaling on them yet, so I am going to make the leather shin guard first and scale backwards from there to make sure they look about right.

I took some time today while we were working on the rest of the project to design up what I think will be a workable fixture for the air filters.

The cone on the front is a to-scale approximation of the air filter I have right now. The cone on the back end is an approximation of the air bladder. There's actually an interior PVC tube modelled in there that I expect to connect.

This is being designed in this way so that I can use it as the actual air intake for the fans that will be in the airbag behind my head blowing air into the mask. The part should have a pretty straight connection through between the filter and the airbag, and I did my best to keep it from narrowing too much smaller than the 40mm tubing that leads to the 40mm fans.

In the interest of making this easy to print (since printing suspended parts or curves vertically can be challenging) I sectioned the model into two pieces.

Remains to be seen if I guessed the scale right or not, but it's printing right now, so we'll have some answers tomorrow!

Ein, some very good work you've done here. Are you going to upload the parts you modeled for the vacuum filter parts? I have the same ones and those parts would be super helpful.

Also any chance you want to make some extra forearm sets?

Since I've got access to a vacuforming machine and buck at this point, I'm totally down for making extra forearm sets, yeah. Actually, we spent a good bit of time last night lengthening the master copies of each of these things out with monster clay to fit my apparently-freakishly-long arms.

Figured it'd be easiest just to do it like that and risk making them longer than necessary, because at least that way I could trim the extra plastic off if it came to it.

I'll absolutely share my models for the stuff I'm doing here, with the caveat that your mileage may vary / you may need to do some scaling and resizing of certain parts, since for example the end caps for my filters were designed and printed around a measurement I made after I cut the bottom of the original filter off - unless you cut it in roughly the same place the caps may be a little too big or a little too small!

Speaking of 3d modeling, actually, I think I'm satisfied with the overall scale of the parts for the shin guard at this point.

I'll be adding these to both the OP of this thread and Shapeways for anyone still interested. I know I should have done these ages ago, but I just dragged my feet because of a lack of reference images.

Here's a problem and a solution all in one post!

The screen-accurate gas mask hose that connects from the air bladder behind his head to his mask is actually a combination of two different types of hose. The light grey hose is from a PDF-D childrens' gas mask and is more flexible, which was probably done on purpose to make it easier for the actor to move his head about. The black hose is the more standard type of russian gas mask hose you frequently find on the Soviet GP-5 or M41M masks. These hoses, stock, actually screwed together without any problem when I bought them, but the threaded metal connection between the two hoses was huge and didn't look anything like the screen version.

In an effort to solve this problem, I modeled and printed my own connector. I disassembled the hoses and removed their original clamps, and designed this part so that the hoses would stretch and simply slide on and over the flared ends on either side. You could then tape them or wire them for a tight seal, but I've noticed it isn't actually necessary.

Final product:

I'll add the parts to the OP for people to try out.

Just as a heads up your 500 badges aren't the correct ones for the legs. On his legs the 0's are hollow so they could be sewn on and all of the numbers are separate from each other, That 500 is for the badge on his chest. I do like the little round thing you made that I don't think I've seen anyone else make.

Just as a heads up your 500 badges aren't the correct ones for the legs. On his legs the 0's are hollow so they could be sewn on and all of the numbers are separate from each other, That 500 is for the badge on his chest. I do like the little round thing you made that I don't think I've seen anyone else make.

I had not noticed the 500 had hollow numbers - probably not a surprise, since I had not been able to track that emblem down as a reference, so I borrowed the design from the chest badge, as you say. I'm not 100% convinced the numbers aren't attached to one another, but I'll do some more digging and see if I can find the original to reference.

Okay! Son of a bitch, you were absolutely right. I found the source - the "500" is from a Ford Galaxie 500. The numbers are connected, but they are hollow. I'll redesign it tonight.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back