Interest Machine Shop Services - Next Run

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had one I'd let you borrow it... but since I don't I need this run to happen.

You can borrow my resin cast one... it's pretty decent... but not sure about shrinkage.

If you are going to do the droid caller, you may want to make a few extra of the side piece as there may be people building Luke The Empire Strikes Back Lightsabers and need that part.

Also, isn't this flash unit also used on the Ghostbuster googles? Or is that a different version of the unit?

Sorry haven't done this yet (taken pic's) but I will try and do so tomorrow, bit late now and my flash is not working - the irony!

Here we go. I have to admit actually looking at thing a little more closely I'd say if you're serious about machining this you really are going to have get your hands on one as I think you are going to want to strip it down.
Anyway here is what I have been able to gather (In the first pic the cut out section is 3mm x 10mm at a depth of 1/32 inches from the flat top):
DSC00494.JPGDSC00496.JPGDSC00493.JPGDSC00492.JPGDSC00495.JPGDSC00482.JPGDSC00483.JPGDSC00484.JPGDSC00485.JPGDSC00486.JPGDSC00490.JPGDSC00489.JPGDSC00488.JPGDSC00487.JPGDSC00491.JPGDSC00498.JPGDSC00499.JPGDSC00497.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Marv, do you know if the one you have is the one used in ANH? What model is it?
I understand there are a few different models, does anybody know exactly which one?

I have a couple of these things. I think what would really help identify the correct model would be the little red spot which can be seen by the buttons. On the black ones that I have these are really quite small, whereas the silver ones have an enlarged dot.
Some have a nice gentle curve on the top piece which goes top the (I would like to say knurl but not 100% the term is correct due to the pattern - teeth?), others have a curve and step, the step can differ in size too!
DSCF4873.JPG

A droid caller would certainly be nice, but I STILL am holding out hope that there could be a run of machined Mauser C96es with the dimensions, details, and movable components, at the same, or less, the cost of a vintage MGC Mauser, perhaps even with a flat bottomed bull barrel machined as a part of the entire upper receiver, like how Hammerdon did here: http://www.therpf.com/f79/anh-hero-...es-found-118186/index121.html?highlight=dl-44 at post #3018. He made his upper receiver for a Denix, and doesn't look to be scaled to a real Mauser, though the principle behind it is much the same. If I recall correctly, this was proposed way back around the first run of 1 parts, and there were some beautiful CAD renderings done at the time, though it was dropped, due to a strange lack of interest.

Strangely, there has STILL been a huge lack of interest in this. I can't imagine why...

Here's holding out hope that this will one day happen!

cost... on actually making it, and prop people tend to want to spend less for more... which makes it less worthwhile to actually do on the machinist's end.

A droid caller would certainly be nice, but I STILL am holding out hope that there could be a run of machined Mauser C96es with the dimensions, details, and movable components, at the same, or less, the cost of a vintage MGC Mauser, perhaps even with a flat bottomed bull barrel machined as a part of the entire upper receiver, like how Hammerdon did here: http://www.therpf.com/f79/anh-hero-...es-found-118186/index121.html?highlight=dl-44 at post #3018. He made his upper receiver for a Denix, and doesn't look to be scaled to a real Mauser, though the principle behind it is much the same. If I recall correctly, this was proposed way back around the first run of 1 parts, and there were some beautiful CAD renderings done at the time, though it was dropped, due to a strange lack of interest.

Strangely, there has STILL been a huge lack of interest in this. I can't imagine why...

Here's holding out hope that this will one day happen!

That would be awesome.

I'd be in for a droid caller or two... Can't help out much as far as details and accuracy as I've never actually seen one outside of pictures.

I would love a more accurate C96, but I have to imagine that there are laws around machinists making (and selling) their own firearms.

As long as their Mauser isn't one that can fire live rounds, then I don't know why there'd be any problems with making a more accurate model, even if it had movable components. I wouldn't even mind it if it came as a kit, so that you could assemble it yourself, if that would help to avoid any kind of replica gun laws.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back