Doctor Who

Here's another fun, easy little one. The logo for MΨTH computers. Hopefully (as it has been said before) this will turn into something akin to Saxon or Bad Wolf.

'To Victory' Poster

So the BBC released a PDF of the 'To Victory' poster from the upcoming episode 'Victory of the Daleks'. It's A4 in size and suffers from some pretty horrible compression on the text and background. So I pulled out my geek-o-goggles and decided to not only tweak and clean it up but double the size, because I wanted the framed poster on my wall to be 'biggerer' :love

Preview-size image can be seen in this thread

Full size BMP can be downloaded below. If you've looked at the original PDF it has an off-white/cream background. I've removed this from my resized and rejiggered A3 version as I wish to achieve that yellowing via aging and not via masses of printer ink. If there's enough demand I'll reupload it with the background restored.

This is by no means perfect, and I'm sure someone will come along with a vastly superior version. I just did the best I could in my spare moments/coffee/lunch breaks as I wanted to run this off on our high-end work printers before I left work for a nice 4 day weekend.

*EDIT* Between the time of me downloading the BBC's PDF and me finishing it they reposted it with accurate text at the bottom. I have updated my file to include this text.

Enjoy!

*EDIT Part 2: The Quickening*

My prints are done, aged, and mounted, details below, quoted from my post elsewhere.

After a series of experiments I decided the way to go was Oven Baking, so with 4 of the 5 remaining posters I set to work, sat staring at an oven is a FUN way to spend your thursday evening kids. Put my favorite result into a waiting frame and bang. Job done. These are from the design I did before the BBC posted the screen accurate text. I will probably print off one or two of the revised version and replace the one in the frame.

Pictures? Of course!

Overview of: Framed poster, 3 times aged unmounted posters, 1 unaged poster and 2 test prints at A4 size.

Close up of framed poster.

Unbaked on the left, Baked on the right.

Close up of print quality.

Apologies for the grain on the pictures. Didn't want to distort results by using Flash. Needless to say oven baking brought out all sorts of interesting marks from the oils in my fingerpritns, etc. Far from ruining it I it makes me love them even more. I'm tempted to take one of them and distress it even further. Depending on what happens in the episode maybe one of them will need to be ripped/burnt/blood splattered ;)

Last edited:
Re: 'To Victory' Poster

Thank you very much MacMantis!
I'll be printing this on a Epson pro 4800 - it will be poster sized...

You're welcome!

I'd imagine going from A3 > A2 you'll encounter some loss of quality, but i'll be curious to see how it comes out for you. I did contemplate working at A2 scale but I realized that a) I'd have to bribe our reprographics guy and b) I'd never fit the poster in the oven. :lol

I have had the idea to do a non-continuity based counterpart poster. But first I need to find someone who speaks fluent german... :angel

I have had the idea to do a non-continuity based counterpart poster. But first I need to find someone who speaks fluent german... :angel

Oooh, that sounds interesting! We have plenty of German members here I'm sure someone can help you out. Really great work on this first one, it looks beautiful!

My prints are done, aged, and mounted, details below, quoted from my post elsewhere.

They look beautiful. Excellent work.

When I saw this poster in the Next Time trailer I knew I had to have it. I was going to wait for the episode to air though. I'm really not surprised somebody beat me to the punch either though lol. I did also notice that the poster was laying on top of some rather sexy Dalek blueprints. I hope that when the episode airs I can grab the 720p copy and try to replicate the blueprints in Photoshop.

They look beautiful. Excellent work.

When I saw this poster in the Next Time trailer I knew I had to have it. I was going to wait for the episode to air though. I'm really not surprised somebody beat me to the punch either though lol. I did also notice that the poster was laying on top of some rather sexy Dalek blueprints. I hope that when the episode airs I can grab the 720p copy and try to replicate the blueprints in Photoshop.

lol, Great Minds think alike... My next thought after the companion poster was 'Hmm... Blueprints'. I may leave those to someone else... Although if a nice accurate portrait view of a new series Dalek is printed anywhere (and I'm sure I do have/have seen one somewhere), it'd only be a case of noting what notes/etc have been made.

I'm really tempted to get one of the Character Option 12" R/C Daleks to convert into 'Ironside' Dalek. I'm sure the kit bags on the dalek could be modded/adapted from 12" WW2 Figure accessories. Plus, y'know, the paint job wouldn't be the most difficult in the world... ;)

I'll be at the Anaheim Comic Con this weekend so I won't get to see the 720p capture of the episode until probably Monday and then if nobody else is trying the blueprints, I'll give them a go for sure.

That sounds like a cool little project. With it being a 12" model too, that sounds like a fairly easy conversion. Definitely interested in how that turns out if/when you do try it. Keep us updated for sure.

Thanks! That's perfect! Gotta love this "internet thing!"

Now to print it out...well, maybe after a quick cleanup. That aliasing is killing me.

-Nick

Unfortunately the BBC text at the bottom is slightly wrong:

1. Ministry of Defense. In the UK we spell it Defence, not Defense, but:

2. The Ministry of Defence didn't exist during WW2, indeed it wasn't formed until a long time later (1972 I think). It should have been War Office.

Unfortunately the BBC text at the bottom is slightly wrong:

1. Ministry of Defense. In the UK we spell it Defence, not Defense, but:

2. The Ministry of Defence didn't exist during WW2, indeed it wasn't formed until a long time later (1972 I think). It should have been War Office.

I did wonder about that... however I didn't correct it for the sake of 'accuracy' to the original prop. I also had to resist correcting the 'approval, Not' punctuation error. Maybe the reason the spelling is wrong is to avoid them getting into trouble? Like no longer being able to refer to UNIT as the United Nations Intelligence Taskforce. More likely they thought 'No bugger'll read this, noone will care...' and they were wrong... :lol

If you like I could correct the text to read Ministry of Defence and then delete it and replace it with War Office for you ;)

Well I definitely won't be printing it off at A3 at work tomorrow............

Quite right. That'd be a shocking abuse of your printing privileges... :lol

I've been talking with the reprographics guy at work about the cost of doing a small run of these in A3 on the same card stock I used for mine. A number of friends who heard about/saw it last weekend really wanted one. If it looks like the cost will run low enough I'll run off an extra dozen or so and offer them in the JY. He'd have to check but it looks like he'd have to charge me £2 £2.50 each... Will do an interest thread as and when.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back