Fallout 3 Laser Rifle

Are you going to add the white decal text/numbers on the control panel aswell ?

That detail will probably have to be left off. I don't have the ability to print white, and the seam for the battery door sits right where that decal would go.

Wow great weathering. I see the airbrushed spots but what are your tricks for the rest of it? I have sprayed on gray or black primer and then wiped it off while its wet for a pretty decent effect. How are you getting that grimy look?

For seam lines, I paint over them with acrylic on a brush, then wipe away the excess with a damp paper towel.

The grime comes from using that same paper towel once its pretty saturated with paint. I airbrush the area to be "grimed" with acrylic paint, from a distance of about 12-14 inches, so that the paint only mists the surface. Let it dry for about 1-2 minutes, then lightly wipe the area with the dirty paper towel. Harder pressure will clean the area more, and lighter pressure will just move the paint around into clumps.

Its sort of like drybrushing in that there shouldn't be a lot of paint on the paper towel (you could use a cloth one too if you preferred) I sort of think of it as though there were a person in the wastelands cleaning their weapon with an oily rag.

I really wish someone with more time on their hands would get their hands on one of these and make a kit of it.

(with your blessing of course, Volpin!)

I really wish someone with more time on their hands would get their hands on one of these and make a kit of it.

(with your blessing of course, Volpin!)

Heh, well that's likely going to be the only way to get one, because I doubt I'll be making another AER9 again unless its for my personal collection. 2 of these things is enough for me. If you want a mold of this one though, you'll have to talk to the guys at Bethesda. Hopefully it will be in their hands soon.

They wanted a way to display the rifle in their office, so I put together a wall mount for it. After the glue dries, I'll be staining this satin black.

4383425253_c7602626bd_b.jpg

Beautiful work Volpin! The wall mount is nice and simple and will look sweet when stained. Thanks for sharing the WIP.

Simply one of the best, most accurate and beautiful props i've ever seen. Fallout 3 was my fave game ever, and how i yearn to own something like this!!

Top work!

Rich

But hey - what did you do to the trigger?? ;)

Weathering isn't finished yet, and those parts are getting clearcoated separately, then put on. Its also still missing the 2 little clips that hold the yellow pipe on top of the barrel.

I'll have completed pics up hopefully after this weekend.

Got the last of the fiddly bits (trigger, trigger arm, and the top clips for the yellow hose) on and weathered. One last coat of clear on the gun to protect the weathering and we're finished! I'll be getting some better shots in some studio lighting once all is set & finished, and some nice macro close-ups as well. Unfortunately that might have to wait a day or two, since it started snowing this morning... blah.

That black backboard really makes the gun stand out nicely. Looks a lot better in person, but I'll have nicer shots to come of the final finished product soon.

4399845163_c0a9015a09_b.jpg

The Bethesda guys are lucky to get that.
The only sad thing in all this is that it really makes me want to break out FO3 again, looking for a possible project, and I do not need to fall down that rabbit hole again. :)

That is so awesome! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I think if you found an old piece of weathered wood with some rusty metal straps or something that would also look good. They probably wanted a fancier display for an office though.

Great job! Would it be possible to have a pic of you or something holding to get an idea of scale?

Sure thing, I'll try and get a shot of that before I send it out.

Clearcoated yesterday, and today we're DONE!

Some overall shots:
4406473913_b54d1e3be0_b.jpg

4406473713_74ee510100_b.jpg

4406473427_b0a1f3054d_b.jpg

And some details:
4407240068_16453212eb_b.jpg

4406465823_01616e7754_b.jpg

4406465955_d9d8dab8f2_b.jpg

Thanks for following along! Been a hell of a project.

4406482103_ceb6e8f68a_b.jpg

That is a thing of beauty ! amazing job, how did you get the general grimy effect that appears over most if it , did you spray black on and rub or sand it off? Love the effect of aging and wear it gives ,looks really authentic.

Amazing work! That final product it flawless! So guys someone is gonna be getting a free copy of Fallout New Vegas huh?

I'm still floored at your work in this project! Bravo again!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back