Fallout 3 Laser Rifle

Comparing your first rifle and the Bethesda commission is great. They look the same..., but are they? The subtle changes and increase in detail are fantastic.

Comparing your first rifle and the Bethesda commission is great. They look the same..., but are they? The subtle changes and increase in detail are fantastic.

I'm actually going to do a side-by-side shot when the project is done to really highlight the difference in the amount of detail in the two projects. I just hope the guy I made the first rifle for isn't ticked when he sees the new "hi-res" one!

Started the first coat of color. This is kind of the "playskool" version of the gun right now... so bright!

4369131835_3cc95d2177_b.jpg

Got some creative ideas for the side decals in the works, hopefully they turn out right.

Fallout is one of my fav games, since I've seen your build I've put down my plasma rifle and started using the laser, didn't realize how cool it looks!

Great work!

Awesome job there I thought your 1st attempt was good but this blows the socks of that one , big fan of MDF myself , you got a great finish with it. What are you using to seal it with initially? Was also wondering what you used for the rusting effect on the 1st one?

Awesome job there I thought your 1st attempt was good but this blows the socks of that one , big fan of MDF myself , you got a great finish with it. What are you using to seal it with initially? Was also wondering what you used for the rusting effect on the 1st one?

Thats actually iron filings in watered-down acrylic paint. The rifle really rusts!

The MDF is sealed with about 3 coats of Krylon primer. Makes for a pretty smooth surface.

Got a REALLY nice weekend finally, so I was able to do the clearcoat on the base colors and assemble the gun. Its weird to see this as a "new" piece, but I'm in the process of weathering it right now. Here it is freshly assembled:

4376125523_4613d27b0d_b.jpg

My favorite upgrade (ahead of the LEDs now) is the decals. I used water-slide laserjet decals on the MF cell, and inkjet vinyl paper decals for the barrel markings.

4376125737_067cf73878_b.jpg

4376125635_14d225a3af_b.jpg

And a few long shots to see some of the areas I haven't really been highlighting so far:

4376874100_042138ab07_b.jpg

4376952846_109f0cc1c5_b.jpg

Weathering is looking good so far, I should have more to show on that in a couple of days.

soooo... decided to forgo videogames/dinner/some sleep last night and spent some quality time with my new airbrush. I've never used one of these things before, so this is as much an experiment as a WIP. So far though, I'm really liking the control I have with it.

Well, when it works anyways. I think I need to buy a better gun (bought an el-cheapo eBay special) but I didn't want to blow a bunch of cash on a really nice airbrush only to find out I suck with it.

Anyhow, first two coats of weathering are finished. Needs more color and some lighter rust markings, but I'm very happy with the first pass.

4377468581_cfef6941c5_b.jpg

4378218944_937d26cca4_b.jpg

OH MY GOD!! That's....too perfect for any words to do it justice. :eek

BRAVO!!

Can we get some videos once you're done with that beauty? Preferably in HD so we can drool over every detail...

Can we get some videos once you're done with that beauty? Preferably in HD so we can drool over every detail...

Heh, I don't have the capability to shoot in HD, unfortunately. I only just yesterday figured out my old Fuji had a "macro" setting... But I'll try to capture as much detail as possible when all is said and done.

It certainly doesnt look like a first go at airbrushing , that looks awesome :thumbsup Making me think of digging my old one out and having a go .

Wow great weathering. I see the airbrushed spots but what are your tricks for the rest of it? I have sprayed on gray or black primer and then wiped it off while its wet for a pretty decent effect. How are you getting that grimy look?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back