Zeroid from Terrahawks

KevinD

Sr Member
Here are a few pictures of my scratchbuild of a Zeroid from the Gerry Anderson series Terrahawks. The model has radio controlled moving eyes.
zeroidgrass_zps0ay3o7er.jpg
Perch2.jpg
ZM1.jpg

Looks great, I loved that series! Are you able to give us a little more info? How big is it? What did you make him from?

Thanks. He's 20cm diameter and made from acrylic hemispheres. I did a build thread on here years ago but the images went in the photobucket changes.

Thanks. I do have the build photos on a disc somewhere. I will dig them out and light a fire under the boiler of my laptop and see if I can upload them again. Bear with me!

That's really kind - thanks so much - any ref would be hugely appreciated :)
I'm looking into using acrylic hemispheres and also interested in the electronics to make the mouth and eye lights look like the filming prop.

D

Ok, I've found the photos. It was quite a while ago when I built it but as I recall, I used 20cm acrylic hemispheres. I put lights in the mouth that were wired to a sound-to-light chaser kit. The leds in the eyes were connected to a driver circuit that I bought online that flashes them in appropriate patterns. Each eye is moved by a servo and somehow I got all of the electronics and batteries into it. The speaker is connected to a jack socket so you can play any sounds through him. Hope this helps.
Z1.jpg

Z2.jpg

Z3.jpg

Z4.jpg

Z5.jpg

Z6.jpg

Z7.jpg

Z8.jpg

Z9.jpg

Z11.jpg

Z12.jpg

Z13.jpg

Z14.jpg

Thanks so much - this is great - already I can see better ways of doing a couple of things than i was planning - like creating the recess for the eyes for example - quick question - how did you get the geometry correct for the mouth lights and the identifier pattern above the eyes - considering those ares curve in two directions?

Fantastic pictures - thanks again for digging them out :)

You're welcome. I think I might've used a profile gauge to get the curves but then again, it might've been trial and error!

Oh, just remembered, to get some lines, like the mouth position, I taped a pen to a block of wood that was the right height and put it and the hemisphere on a table and then held the pen against the dome and slowly turned the dome, leaving a straight line on a curved surface!

Great work, thanks for the additional pics. Very tempted to have a go at this project myself after seeing the fantastic results you've had!

Having just completed a build of Space Sergeant 101, I decided to promote my original Zeroid and have made him into Sergeant Major Zero. Stroll on.
SMZ1.jpg

SMZ2.jpg

SMZ3.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back