YOUTUBE CHANGES?!?!

funboy1013xx

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone else noticed the youtube changes? they seem to have just "upgraded' to a netflix style format. you "hover" over a video and it will show a small clip. and has anyone noticed the ad's have gotten longer... I have been watching ton's of tutorial's etc. and the ad's were about 5-6 seconds long at the beginning. sometimes 2 in a row, but in just the last couple days they have been 15-30 seconds long each and saying ad 1 of 2..... and then multiple ad's during the video. so now, you have to sit thru youtubes "placed" ad's and then deal with everyone's "sponsored" ad's... getting very frustrating!!!

Mine still has the dislike counter, don't know why.
But, I do agree about the ads. Yeah, on my home computer I can use adblock, but at work I have to go through IT to download stuff like that. Can't really tell them I need adblocker to sit and watch more Youtube videos. LOL

What I hate about YouTube is not so much the ads they place in front of videos but their hypocrisy regarding ads. They'll demonetize videos saying that they're not suitable for advertisers, yet they'll still place ads in demonetized videos, the only difference is that instead of the content creator getting a bit of ad revenue, YouTube gets it all. If something is deemed to be not advertiser appropriate, then there should be 0 ads.

Mine still has the dislike counter, don't know why.
But, I do agree about the ads. Yeah, on my home computer I can use adblock, but at work I have to go through IT to download stuff like that. Can't really tell them I need adblocker to sit and watch more Youtube videos. LOL

The channel owner can see the dislikes but nobody else can.

The dislike button has not been removed just the number of dislikes on a video. Only the channel owner can see those now.

2021-11-19-8-10-49.jpg

The preview thing has been there (for me) for a very long time now, though YouTube do roll things out at different rates for different people as they test the waters with new concepts.

Last year they started forcing content creators to add in chapter points to supposedly help viewers easily identify sections of the video that they'd like to go back to. The cynic in me thought, "Yes, that's also a great place for YouTube to crowbar adverts in to." Then guess what? Adverts were kindly added to our videos, right in those chapter points by YouTube... yeah, we didn't see that coming.

I have a basic ad blocker, so I don't see them, but I also don't have paid promotions in what I do, so largely, it's pure content all the way - if you like that sort of thing.

Think yourself lucky, several advertisers have put in un-skippable 30 minute adverts and some poor people (creators) have had entire movies placed in before their video - that the viewer cannot skip! That goes down well with the viewer and most click away before the thing that they actually clicked on starts. Not so fantastic for the creator either.

I can’t use YouTube without ad blockers now. Still brutal using it on a console where you can’t use ad blockers.
I've heard that a Raspberry Pi or old PC running Pi-Hole could be made to block ads on all devices on your local network, but I have not tried it myself.

Technically, I don't use any "ad-blocker" myself. I use two plugins for preserving my privacy on-line, and those block most ads as a side-effect. One does not even block ads on Youtube (any more) but the other does, and I tend to disable it manually when I want to support a channel.

Isn't YouTube free? I get that ads are annoying but come on folks, nobody is entitled to free entertainment. Remember when TV signals were free but you had to sit through commercials? Pretty much the same thing with YouTube. I had to listen to my daughter complaining about 4 ads during the first episode of Rick and Morty season 5, it took a lot of control for me not to say "back in MY day..." ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back