you cant park that here! Ecto negative 1

metal wood

wanted to take this Ecto 1a model and turn it into an Ecto 1, gave up and decided that i would really like to build the pre-ecto as seen in my signature.

had to cut off and fill holes on the roof that was meant to mount the roof rack of gear
model 1 023.JPG
then sanding sanding and some sanding
model 1 024.JPG
then primer primer and primer yay!!!
model 1 025.JPG
next was the big bell emergency light on the roof, i cut a spent .45 caliber shell in half, then i tried taking
an old flashlight bulb apart to get at the glass, FAIL, turns out the .45 shell fits a 10mm LED perfectly!
model 1 027.JPGmodel 1 028.JPG
some work left on the bell light, aside from painting i need to adjust size to get what i am looking for, also plan
on painting the burnt out LED a dark red, not going for lights on this car but since the size works out so great i will
just make do.

working on the back end right now, never got a shot of the rear of the film used caddy, so i have been comparing
and contrasting about a zillion 1960 caddy rear ends. big plus is i can use parts of the kits tail section, the rest
i have to make up on my own.

any ideas and comments welcome, Cheers fellow RPF'rs

Last edited:
Cool project. Somewhere on the interwebs is an article about that specific preEcto caddie. I cannot recall if there was a shot of it from the rear but I remember photos and some history. Unfortunately, my recollection on this is not terrific but maybe another member can help.

Don't forget the truck mirror!

I love this idea. Will you be putting in those white curtains too? Makes me think it would be cool to have all three versions (pre-Ecto, Ecto 1 and Ecto 1A) on display.

Cool project. Somewhere on the interwebs is an article about that specific preEcto caddie. I cannot recall if there was a shot of it from the rear but I remember photos and some history. Unfortunately, my recollection on this is not terrific but maybe another member can help.

Don't forget the truck mirror!
there are a lot of people talking about this car, but surprisingly i can only find 2-3 variants of the same picture which is just a screen shot. i wont forget the truck mirrors, still on the hunt for the correct ones for the right price, harder to find than expected...

I love this idea. Will you be putting in those white curtains too? Makes me think it would be cool to have all three versions (pre-Ecto, Ecto 1 and Ecto 1A) on display.

will be putting the curtains in, still looking for something close enough to use.

Ecto 1 HEARSE. Where would this fall on the cool/in horrible taste meter?

its actually a 1960's Cadillac Ambulance, not a hearse; there are older caddy hearse's out there but the ecto came from an ambulance hence the big lights on top.

thanks for the feedback, always helps.

IIRC Dan Akroyd originally envisioned it as a hearse, with black body and purple lights. Afraid the dark car would disappear in the night shots the car was painted white instead. The Miller Meteor 59 Caddy conversions ambulance and hearse alike share the same blueprint.

Thanks Wes

thanks laellee, didn't know the original story about the black hearse ecto deal, thanks for that info, pretty cool stuff.

did some more body work, some filler on the "fins" once sanded i will do the black paint then hopefully just wipe it off while still wet to show the grey primer underneath (as close to the main pic anyway)

was also working on the two little lights that go along with the big bell light. the parts that came with the kit were not even close to what i needed, more of a beer can type shape, unfortunately the scale was a bit off ;(

ended up taking the back end of a couple of pens off and cut them down to size, works perfectly!
model 2 001.JPG

these little guys held the plastic lens's perfectly, so i painted the lens on the inside and attached them to the pen caps with some canopy glue, i think they will work out perfect
model 2 002.JPG

edited in...
just did my paint then rub plan, yeah that didnt work out at all, just had to cover every thing in black and will try and figure out a way to get the primer on as it is in the film.... any thoughts model gods?

Last edited:
Haha love it. The reason I brought up the hearse, I had my own restoration shop for just about ten years. I'd love to say that it was all beautiful antiques I worked on, but the pending bills of course required me to also repair friends' cars, do the disenchanting oil changes, etc.... Much like having your candy store, but never getting that candy you loved as a kid. ANYWAYS, I started a board on my shop wall of cars that I didn't really NEED, but would want. Most people these days would have Eleanor, a Ferrari, Lambo, etc....
BAH I SAY! Mine was simple, and chronically unfulfillable. Here is part:

1958 Plymouth Fury, ala Christine. I got a Belvedere 4 door, close but no banana

Murph Mobile, aka correct color 76 Wayne's World Pacer, outbid (and also told by girlfriend not acceptable)

A GMC motorhome, circa 1973. The TVS 4 or 5. I have never seen a Stripes repro of the EM-50

A 1983 Vandura. Look it up.

Here's what kills me, I saw that Bret Michaels is hosting the new 'Rock My RV' show. In the previews, guess what he's sledging windows out of. Seriously.

should have taken a picture... went into the garage to check to coat of paint from last night and right on the hood of the car was one of those big wookie looking moths dead and stuck in my paint... flying grubber! i just sanded the messy spot down and spot shot the area with paint.

i need to build a spray booth for my cave, grrrr....

1958 Plymouth Fury, ala Christine. I got a Belvedere 4 door, close but no banana

You've actually got the model that you could use for the book version of Christine instead of the film version (in the book, she's described as a 4-Door 1958 Plymouth Fury, which never existed. However, King did base the car on a 1959 Plymouth Fury he used to have, which was the first year that the Fury was available in a four-door model).

should have taken a picture... went into the garage to check to coat of paint from last night and right on the hood of the car was one of those big wookie looking moths dead and stuck in my paint... flying grubber! i just sanded the messy spot down and spot shot the area with paint.

i need to build a spray booth for my cave, grrrr....

That's why i hate painting outside in the summer if it isn't a bug either stuck to it or leaving tracks it's debris from the trees or a cat nose print lol. I had a booth in the basement but i don't want to deal with spiders so i just paint on the porch.

after the re-paint bug deal i noticed that the car has side molding, the ecto does not, but i am not building the ecto am i...
first couple pics should show the styrene strips i attached as well as the wheel well molding (to be chromed) as seen in the pic.
model 3 002.JPGmodel 3 003.JPG

also went and bought a big 1:25 semi truck model, got the side mirrors i wanted from them, this pic shows how they are stock and after a little ninja work.
model 3 004.JPG

also am going to use one of the truck rims for the front right tire rim, had to cut a bunch off to be able to fit the little tires, those are being painted right now so i will post a pic after they look how i want them too.
as always, comments and rotten fruit welcome!
cheers:cheers

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back