World War Z (Post-release)

I consider myself a "real" zombie fan. I own 175+ films, many books, games, the entire run of zombies by Sideshow toys and my mother even went into labor with me while watching Night of the Living Dead.

I loved WWZ. I also love the book.

There is plenty of room in this world for both. Did the movie do the book Justice? No. Should it have been titled something else? Yes. The action was good, if not a bit too modern day flash cutty. The suspense worked and they even kept the monsters jumping out of dark to bare minimum. I was fine with the lack of blood, I've seen that enough. However, I am not totally sure this even is a zombie film, in the way we are talking about zombies, ie, Romero zombies. This may be a 28 X Later style film, which is not a zombie film at all, it's a plague film.

But overall, I loved it and will be glad to see it again when it hits dvd. As for the 3D, not really worth it.

However, I am not totally sure this even is a zombie film, in the way we are talking about zombies, ie, Romero zombies. This may be a 28 X Later style film, which is not a zombie film at all, it's a plague film.

I came out of seeing this saying the same thing. I told my ex-wife this was more like 28 Days Later on steroids. The whole 12 seconds to turn and fast running zombies just wasn't my cup of tea for the most part. It also seemed like they were doing the same thing as 28 Days Later where the zombies didn't seem to be interested in eating people, it was more of a bite them and move on to the next person sort of deal. It was all about spreading the infection. The Ex LOVES movies where they are trying to back track a virus and find a cure so she thought this movie was great. I thought it was ok, I didn't feel robbed from seeing it, but I also could of been just as happy waiting until it was on Netflix or Redbox.

Being a fan of the book i went into it thinking i would hate it and it turned out not that bad. If you look at it as an untold chapter of the book happening along side the rest of the short stories. Kinda felt that the PG13 rating helped it, rather then showing over the top Blood and Gore they they spent more time on character development of the people along the way.

Had this feeling that if this movie had done as good as they hoped they would of had multiple movies in the same world, however with the production issues and the lackluster showing so far i doubt it'll happen, Though i would be interested.

It's kind of sad how book adaptations like Stephanie Meyers' work will literally have her books translated almost word for word when it comes to the movie adaptations, but nobody anywhere seems to give a crap about how the movie World War Z's only connection to the source material is it's freaking title.

It's kind of sad how book adaptations like Stephanie Meyers' work will literally have her books translated almost word for word when it comes to the movie adaptations, but nobody anywhere seems to give a crap about how the movie World War Z's only connection to the source material is it's freaking title.
Unfortunately, I think WWZ is more of a niche title as a book. While popular among certain people, it's definitely not as mainstream as those other.. things.. you mention. Because of that, the majority of the people that go to the movies will never have read the book (most probably aren't even aware that it exists), and will have no idea how low Hollywood sunk on this one.

I think the best way to adapt the book directly would be to make it a TV miniseries, or maybe one or two seasons worth of TV series. Film it documentary style, the way it's written (maybe one episode per chapter, with different episodes being told from different perspectives), with "dramatic reenactments" of the events described after the fact by the people involved (like Yonkers). And put it on something like HBO or Showtime where they don't have to hold back on the violence (which is very much present in the book but is not gratuitous). The only downside I can see is that, given today's TV audience, I imagine a good percentage of the viewers would probably believe that it was an actual documentary, a la War of the Worlds.

Well that is good to know. Now I can avoid the books after the sheer torture of sitting through two of those films.

Just back from the premiere here (yeah, this time we got the movie later than you guys), and I was pleasantly surprised. Didn't expect much, didn't read the book, and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. I really did not miss the gore, you had some blood and cadavers laying around as part of the decor here and there, that was well enough for me, and I find the thought of running infected creatures much more scarier than slow moving zombies, so I was actually on the edge of my seat during the movie. Don't know if I'll buy the blue ray, but I'll definitely watch the sequel.

I've been saying it from the getgo that this would of been better adapted as a mini-series from HBO. Every episode is a different story or maybe even do 2-parters depending on the story. There's enough material including his book closure limited that could add stories. Have every episode start band of brothers style with the main protagonist discussing things. Then have the episode. They could have as much gore, cursing and nudity as they want and since its HBO, wouldn't have trouble casting big names.

Now that they have established Pitt and his family's story, and with as well as this is doing, I would not be suprised if the sequel was more like the book with Pitt interviewing different people getting thier stories now that they have a solution to the problem.

I would be a great way of saving face, and give them a way to go that is not rehashing the first movie.

I liked this movie...mostly.
First hour - great.
Second 55min - still good, but they changed tack.
Last 300 seconds of this film are horrible. Nearly ruined the entire movie for me. It's like the ending belongs to a completely different film. I'd advise walking out of the theatre when they walk out of WHO. Makes for a much better movie.

I have to say as far as a Zombie flick goes I enjoyed it. There were a few laughs in the theatre at certain points but I think it needed that. I like a film that creates different ranges of emotions throughout. I would have liked more gore, but then films these days need to expand to a larger age range and so the classification ratings are lowered.

Seen it tonight in 3D, thought it was pretty good, not as good as I was hoping. I wish there was more gore as well, it would of added just that little bit more to the movie. People were also laughing at the "zombies" and I had to agree they were a little lame, not so much their appearance but their overall manner, I don't care if it is a virus or plague film, no virus can make people run and jump like that, it was stupid.

I love the film. Gerry has to be the luckiest person on Earth, and that's his specialty about being lucky (and resourceful). I know people may complain that the film takes ideas from 28 days later and even flight of the living dead. The scenes in Israel is amazing. I have become a fan of IDF; they have some unusual gears like the elastic band around the helmet, the extra-long gun sling, etc.

Seen it tonight in 3D, thought it was pretty good, not as good as I was hoping. I wish there was more gore as well, it would of added just that little bit more to the movie. People were also laughing at the "zombies" and I had to agree they were a little lame, not so much their appearance but their overall manner, I don't care if it is a virus or plague film, no virus can make people run and jump like that, it was stupid.

They stole that style of infected from I Am Legend with those terrible CGI infected. Sure a virus or whatever might make them a bit faster or stronger but there's a point when unless they mutate like something out of Resident Evil a body has it's limits.

Yep, it will tank because the real zombie fans/teens want to see blood and gore.
You did not see much on either side. I don't need to see a zombie eating guts, but I do enjoy seeing them blasted.

Just saw it... only blood was really just on Pitt's face/head from the plane crash. Almost no "gore" at all. Not really my idea of a zombie movie in that regard. I don't know if they blew their load on CG and flying around to filming locations. They certainly didn't spend all their budget on an all star cast. It had a few recognizable actors. Good ones even. But hardly A listers aside from Pitt.

I reminded me a lot more of the 28 Days/Weeks later movies than a "true" zombie movie.

As a training film my take aways are:
1) If you're in a car when **** goes down, drive through anything that won't cause the vehicle to stop running. Need to learn to drive a trash truck... that thing cleared a nice path.
2) Back up battery for irdium phone. And put it on vibrate.
3) Save my NRA magazines... they're the perfect thickness to wrap around my arms/legs under the duct tape for make-shift, bite resistant "armor". Also stock up on duct or monofilament tape.
4) Eat a big handful of bad sushi out of the garbage to become invisible to zombies.

Just saw it last night. Really enjoyed it. As a big fan of the zombie genre I was prepared for the lack of gore and it kind of made sense to me. This zombie plague was a true infection that just wanted to use it's host to keep spreading it. So attacking and eating people would have defeated the purpose (of the infection). Instead they attack bite and move on. That said I loved the swarming aspect of the zombies, especially that wall scene in Israel. Just goes to show you, even a 50 foot wall won't protect us when the zombie apocalypse comes :eek

My review on twitter from seeing it yesterday.

WWZ could be summed up with "Shoot Brad Pitt in the face when you see him, for he is a harbinger of Death". Unluckiest dude since Jack Bauer.

Decent movie, but damn I get tired of the movies where the plot only moves forward when plot armor wearing guy shows up.

My friend who went with me was annoyed because it was another "white guy wanders the planet doing everything better than the natives" movie. Can't really disagree with him too much.

If you haven't seen it, just wait for netflix.

Chris

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back