working with oil based clay?

takevin

Sr Member
just got 20lbs of oil based clay to sculpt something. Told it needs to be heated in the oven for 20 to 30 minutes. I figured I would cut it up in chunks, and use it as i need fit. How long is it pliable, ie soft and workable? Any tips, temperature, etc? thank you :)

What kind of Oil Clay is it?

Chavant NSP, or Roma Plastilina?

For most Oil-based clays I simply cut them up into little slices and mash them up with my hands until they are soft enough to work with, any of the Oil Clay I've ever used has lasted a very long time and it doesn't dry out if that's what you are wondering...

Also you could line a paper bucket with aluminium foil and set up a clip on work light over it to keep the clay soft.

For heating up my Clay for Clay pours I have a Microwave dedicated for just Shop work (NO clooking food in it.) :D

That works great too but Not if it's cooked too long.

I bought it from monster makers, this stuff is like rockhard, no mashing till it gets warmed up. :D

Monster Makers Oil Based Clay
Manufactured by us, this is a premium quality, reusable wax based clay similar in feel to Chavant NSP Medium. It has a smooth consistency, softens easily in the microwave or conventional oven, but without the noxious odor or sulfur separation characteristic of Roma. An ideal product for creating mask sculptures. Widely popular in the Mask-Making industry, Monster Makers Oil Based Clay smooths out nicely and cleans out of molds easily. Can be easily melted to create a liquid clay that can be poured into alginate or any other flexible mold for lifecast reproductions in clay. Comes in a medium shade, tan tone. Unlike water based clays, this clay can be reused indefinitely and will never dry out.

I've never tried MonsterMakers clay so I cant comment on it in any way but I am a firm believer in what Chavant offers.

Chavant

They have a lot of different clays...whatever your 'feel' for clay or use for it they have a clay for the job. It's all about your comfort level and what you need to use it for.
Personally, I really like Chavant NSP soft...I use it for organic sculpting and mechanical sculpting too. Retains great detail, easy to get smooth...great to work with.
Soft is pretty soft...never used anything else other than their Y2Clay which is pretty firm for my abilities...but like I said, they do have a clay for all your needs.

Still, MonsterMakers has a great name in the industry so I'd work that for a bit and see how you feel with it. :thumbsup

David

I agree with David, Chavant NSP is great stuff, I've used it for several projects and prefer it to other clays for ongoing projects.

I've heard Monstermakers Clay is okay, but many Pros I know prefer Chavant NSP, WED (Water Clay with Glycerine), or Roma Plastilina.

When I Sculpted the Helmets for Kurt Russell's "Soldier" I used Chavant NSP because you can smooth it to an almost Machine smooth finish (Robocop was Sculpted in Chavant).

<div class='quotetop'>(DAVIDYR1 @ Sep 19 2006, 07:21 AM) [snapback]1322704[/snapback]</div>
I've never tried MonsterMakers clay so I cant comment on it in any way but I am a firm believer in what Chavant offers.

Chavant

They have a lot of different clays...whatever your 'feel' for clay or use for it they have a clay for the job. It's all about your comfort level and what you need to use it for.
Personally, I really like Chavant NSP soft...I use it for organic sculpting and mechanical sculpting too. Retains great detail, easy to get smooth...great to work with.
Soft is pretty soft...never used anything else other than their Y2Clay which is pretty firm for my abilities...but like I said, they do have a clay for all your needs.

Still, MonsterMakers has a great name in the industry so I'd work that for a bit and see how you feel with it. :thumbsup

David
[/b]

A number of key fx artists like Steve Wang and Aris Kolokantes are using it and highly recommending it. We started producing Monster Clay in 1989 and basically kept the same recipe until late 2006 when a few of the components became unavailable and we stopped producing it. Late in 2009 we were able to get production back up again and with an improved formulation. Since than we have been getting excellent reviews from sculptors around the world. It is available in two grades at the moment: a medium hard grade ideally suited for maquettes. We have also just started producing a new grade with softer workability. You can read about the clay here:

http://www.monstermakers.com/files/PDFs/claypromo.pdf

Monster Clay has some very unique qualities not found in any other oil clay medium.

Arnold
monstermakers.com

I bought it from monster makers, this stuff is like rockhard, no mashing till it gets warmed up. :D

Monster Makers Oil Based Clay
Manufactured by us, this is a premium quality, reusable wax based clay similar in feel to Chavant NSP Medium. It has a smooth consistency, softens easily in the microwave or conventional oven, but without the noxious odor or sulfur separation characteristic of Roma. An ideal product for creating mask sculptures. Widely popular in the Mask-Making industry, Monster Makers Oil Based Clay smooths out nicely and cleans out of molds easily. Can be easily melted to create a liquid clay that can be poured into alginate or any other flexible mold for lifecast reproductions in clay. Comes in a medium shade, tan tone. Unlike water based clays, this clay can be reused indefinitely and will never dry out.

The above description if for the old formulation. Here is the info on the new formulation:

http://www.monstermakers.com/files/PDFs/claypromo.pdf

Arnold
monstermakers.com

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back