Why are the streets wet?

Yeah, we're so conditioned by movies, but there's a million little things that aren't real. Like when you hear an eagle, it's always that same effect, which isn't an eagle at all.

The only film I can think of that actually gives a reasonable explanation as to why the streets are wet in the movie they're featured in, which is The Warriors (1979), where there is one scene where it rains.

But when it comes to cinematography, yes, wet streets causes light to reflect. When you use surfaces that reflect light and/or images, it adds to the look of the film. I myself took a picture in a parking lot after it had rained. The light I used was the setting sun.

Sunset.jpg

One of the things that most cinematographers actually use are lights with reflective surfaces (this includes wet streets). One example you can see a lot of, especially in recent movies, is where you can see reflections of light in the eyes of the actors. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World is one that comes to mind.

The original reason for wet streets was simply to keep dust, dirt and debris in check. Were talking dirt roads and such, its been going on since the invention of the moving picture. Now its mostly for dramatic visual and depth.

Im more surprised the discussion of day for night or even better, "its pitch black outside yet this is a lunch scene in a high school" subject wasnt first.

I want to know why in movies every sporting event, especially outdoors, seems to take place at night in an un-lit stadium ?

The football game from 'Last Boy Scout' comes to mind. It looked so dark you would have thought it was a pick-up game on a field with no lights but most football games I've been to it's so well lit it's brighter then regular sunlight in the middle of summer.

I was there for the Last Boyscout when they filmed the LA Coliseum scenes. They went over by a couple days, if memory serves, due to them flying the helicopter into and around the interior of the stadium with thousands of extras seated in the bleachers, which shut them down. Since they only had random masses to seat per day, lighting help mask this. In fact, when they pull up and Damn scratches the Roll's, thats a real soccer game going on in the stadium and real people walking around that exterior shot.
Im not 100% on this but I recall hearing they were not even permitted to film that day. The entire opening sequence and ending were shot on the same days. Those were real Raiders cheerleaders and the USC marching band. They had Paul Rodriguez and Mark Curry (Hangin with Mr Cooper) doing stand up for the crowd of extras.
One of the worst things about that film, and there were many, was the stuntman that bungeed off the scaffolding right at the moving helicopter blades yet in the film it looks like a stuffed dummy tossed at miniature blades forced perspective style. Not sure if thats a bigger crime than the dialogue though.

I always hate when a helicopter turns its spotlight on and u can finally hear its propeller when its in the dark. Or when it comes over the dunes and can finally hear its propellers like on Iron Man. I hear a helicopter waaay before I see it

How about (almost) every shot we see in a film of the night sky that has the moon in it is fake. It is always enlarged 10 to 20 times or more so we can see it better.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back