Where does the air go when pressure casting?

One of the YouTuber's I'm subscribed to runs what he called a "pot cam," whereby he puts a camera and a flashlight inside his pressure pot and runs the footage at a time-lapse. One thing it makes clear is that hardening resin inside a pressure pot is not static: it moves and swirls around, with convection currents stirring the resin. As best I can tell from his footage, the bubbles are carried by the moving resin and move towards the surface. They probably dissolve off.

I'm just guessing, but I'm of the belief that the air is squeezed out of the resin. The resin starts as a fluid, with air dispersed in it (rather than dissolved, like CO2 in carbonated water) but under pressure I imagine the resin closes up most of the space between molecules and the air would be forced out, since the resin itself probably can't compress, or only slightly. I'm guessing that the compressed resin behaves like a solid, while the surrounded air remains fluid, so the air and the resin would separate, since the entrained air would get pushed from a higher density medium (the resin, which is rapidly closing in) to much lower density (the air in the tank). So the difference in density is the key factor, and the increased pressure acts like a centrifuge in the sense of the constituents being arranged by density. Experts in resin casting don't by definition have to know the physics behind their observations. The tiny bubble hypothesis fits well enough with their observations that the question of its veracity is irrelevant. A master baker can misunderstand precisely how yeast causes dough to rise as long a he or she understands how the process behaves.

Does anybody know what's actually happening?
;)

16ECE540-657A-41A5-A745-1355831C78D8.jpeg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back