What version of the Michell turntable is used to source the imperial disc's etc.

The turntable was an expensive high-end turntable in its day, and is likely to be expensive today as well. Consider also that many props and costumes have two of some parts that the turntable has only one of ...

That's a nightmare, who then is possibly the best person for reproduction parts then, unless there is anyone out there who has some spares they would be willing to sell or trade?

As well as the Hydraulic reference in the thread (expensive) you'll find the that disc on the electronic reference (expensive), the prisma (expensive and rare) and the focus one (a lot less expensive but still expensive). You could phone Michell and ask but it is my understanding that they are not interested in star wars geeks in the same way that vintage camera shops aren't. I never raised it as a star wars question because my business was purely TT related but I got the impression that all these old part are now extremely rare and what surplus stock they may have is either very low and only ear marked for actual TT restoration. it is my belief that the present MD Steve Rowland (who is related to a 50% ish stock owner) loathes the whole Star Wars thing. You best bet is going to be ebay for found parts. For the cap disc a spares or repair focus One the cheapest I'd reckon. Good luck.

I had an original Michell disc so had some replicas made by a precision engineering firm so they were 100% exactly the same as the Michells ones. You cannot tell the difference apart from the original one is a wee bit oxidised.

DSC04704.JPG

Hi Marv,

I do not have any spare unfortunately. I would get more made but it cost me around £1400 last time as I had to get a large amount made to make it worthwhile.

I am not sure if there is any real demand for these items to do a big run of super accurate discs again.

Hi Darth Lars yes I will post pictures with dimensions when I get home from work. I really don't know anything about the elvistrooper ones but looking at them on his page they don't have a hole all the way through the disc like the originals - which isn't anything a drill cannot cure :)

If you're looking for accuracy then Elvis is not the man. If you're looking for a cheap 'close enough' replica then he is!

Chris, I recognize that ;)

I really don't know anything about the elvistrooper ones but looking at them on his page they don't have a hole all the way through the disc like the originals - which isn't anything a drill cannot cure :)
I think not having the hole go right through is a good thing for costuming. You could drill and tap a smaller hole without marring the outside, or glue something in the back/centre without worry that it would be visible through the hole.

It looks to me in images like the top/innermost two discs are slightly wider on the original disc than on Elvistrooper's.

If you're looking for accuracy then Elvis is not the man. If you're looking for a cheap 'close enough' replica then he is!

Chris, I recognize that ;)

Yes Marcus and I will have to meet up soon and give you that back. Looking forward to it :)

As for measurements please forgive my calipers as they haven't been calibrated in more than a few years but should be accurate enough within a millimetre.

CIMG0122.jpgCIMG0145.jpgCIMG0144.jpgCIMG0132.jpgCIMG0129.jpgCIMG0128.jpgCIMG0127.jpgCIMG0126.jpgCIMG0125.jpgCIMG0147.jpgCIMG0149.jpg

These are turning in to a pain to source mailed a few people now and simply either have had no reply or no follow up after. Is there anyone out there who makes decent replicas who is willing to sell or better still original parts (price permitting)?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back