What knife could be made out of that?

MadMike

Hey guys,

last week or so I found this piece of steel in our cellar. I guess it was part of a harrow or something, and as it isn't used anymore, I wanted to modify it and make a knife-prop out of it.

I wanted to start by sanding all the rust, straighten the handle and then cut it into a rough shape with a disc grinder. The outcome should somehow look like a Rambo-knife, but I don't think that this will work out that easy due to the proportions.

So, I' asking you...any idea i can make out of it instead?

Some facts: the handle is about 22cm, the "blade" about 34cm long, and it weights 1,5kg.

Thanks in advance!

yes you can make this kind of knives.
Maybe more a bowie than a Rambo knife.
sometimes old steel or old blades can be good for special steel pattern,or some special blade replicas,I made some blades from old steel that had a very fine damascus pattern when correctly revealed.
Most of the times,old handmade steel gives good "hamon "with selective tempering.
you can find a piece of brass or alpacca,about 1/4" thick,1" large and 2-3" long to make the guard,and some good wood for the handle,maybe ebony,it's easy to find this stuff on ebay.
Then you just have to drill the gard and give the good shape of the hole,and drill the wood handle.
But the first think to do is to give a good shape to the blade and tang.
In the past I made custom knives,and some good old replicas:
Old ivory french laguioles
A kind of english jack
Some japanese sabers,and saber parts(tsuba,menuki,fushi kashira)
Some oriental knives and parts,like a ivory or jade handle
Some working 1/5 lockback and other miniature knives,a razor and some
old west styled knives(lady bowie,push dagger).

I would say stay with the shape it is, clean it up and put a nice handle on it-- you will have a one of a kind piece. I think its freaking awesome and would love to have it myself!!!

I would say stay with the shape it is, clean it up and put a nice handle on it-- you will have a one of a kind piece. I think its freaking awesome and would love to have it myself!!!

I agree with Eaglewood. Its a great natural shape. Clean it up, do a little stock removal to even out the edges, check for structural flaws, grind a nice edge onto it and give it a handle. It's a bad*** shape! Cool.

I would say stay with the shape it is, clean it up and put a nice handle on it-- you will have a one of a kind piece.

I agree with Eaglewood. Its a great natural shape. Clean it up, do a little stock removal to even out the edges, check for structural flaws, grind a nice edge onto it and give it a handle. It's a bad*** shape! Cool.

yeah, i also thought of that, but then i would decide to do some minor shape-work, and i can't decide on which design: either straighten the blade (blue line in the picture, which then would somehow look like the machete used in Rambo IV), or to give it a more round shape (like the red line).
the handle will be straightend (either completely, as shown in the picture, or just change the angle) and shortened, no matter for which design i will decide, as it is really hard to handle now

I think its freaking awesome and would love to have it myself!!!

wanna buy it? :love

yeah, i also thought of that, but then i would decide to do some minor shape-work, and i can't decide on which design: either straighten the blade (blue line in the picture, which then would somehow look like the machete used in Rambo IV), or to give it a more round shape (like the red line).
the handle will be straightend (either completely, as shown in the picture, or just change the angle) and shortened, no matter for which design i will decide, as it is really hard to handle now

wanna buy it? :love

sent you a pm

and I wouldnt change the shape of the blade-- its so distinctive and that is what makes it cool. Maybe straighten the handle a bit. I have some great ideas for this one!!!!!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back