water based clay

mjbarby

wow, after lurking around this place for awhile I just have to say, wow. I have already learned so much from you guys.

anyway, I have been tasked by my Haunted House committee with making a prop for next year. It will consist of an "evil pig" jumping out of a wall.

I have been making some masks and prothestics using latex and silicone. For this project I will be using a slush cast as it will not involve a lot of movement. So far I used oil based clay because I do not have to worry about it drying out and I can leave and come back to it as I want.

I was thinking about using water based clay for this project but was curious as to what I can expect the limitations to be. Does it have an extended life as long as it is kept covered and moist? Should I plan on this being done in a day, week month, how long can I keep the sculpt going as long as I cover and mist with water regularly? And any other advise you might have.

Again I am really impressed with the amount of information available. I appriciate any input you may have.

My experience with wet clay, it should be ok for a few days here and there wrapped in moist paper towels or something and then wrapped again in a plastic bag or something air-tight. I wouldn't let it go too long without checking up on it. If you at least take a look and a poke once a day or so even if you aren't working on it to make sure it's still evenly moist, it should be fine for a while! Spritzer-bottles are your BFF :) When I took a sculpting class in college, our projects would often sit all week without being worked on, but we were advised to stop by the room to check up on things and re-moisten now and then between classes.

I just recently made the switch from oil-based to water-based clay for a project and I really really like working in it a lot more, it gives you a heck of a lot more freedom! Best of luck, monster-pig sounds fun!

Water based clay is great for fast and/or big projects.

It will last a good amount of time as long as it is kept wet and covered as Bilious said. Thin areas are what you have to watch out for as they'll dry out the fastest and crack. Areas like the ears on a pig creature.

As you get closer to finalizing the forms, you can let it dry out slightly and become a little leathery and that will allow you to carve in any fine details you need in there. Just try and do this as close to molding day as possible because if you wet it again because of not being able to work on it for a few days, the details will disappear.

Seal it with some lacquer and mold in your material of choice :)

I know most like WED clay but I prefer normal potters "gray clay" as its known here but try a few out and see what you like.

thanks, I really appriciate the input. Hopefully, one of these days, if I eat my wheaties and say my prayers, I will be able to repay the community by helping out a newbie who is lost.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back