VCX-100 - The Ghost

curiouslysophie

I had been searching for STL's to pring a good, larger size, Ghost for a while now and not found any that were either accurate or detailed enough, so I decided to have a go at doing my own!
It is in the early stages, so the shape is down, detailling is to come. I am going to do it based on the Rebels animated version, but detailed up as if it were a live action show. I know it appeared in Rogue One, but the model for that one is shaped differently and I like the show one more!

This is what I have so far and I would love to hear what you guys think and if you have any suggestions!

Attachments

• First Draft 1.jpg
    First Draft 1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 94
  • First Draft 2.jpg
    First Draft 2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 96
  • First Draft 3.jpg
    First Draft 3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 91
  • First Draft 4.jpg
    First Draft 4.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 86
  • First Draft 5.jpg
    First Draft 5.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 79
  • First Draft 6.jpg
    First Draft 6.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
There was a garage kit a few years back.
No idea how accurate it was since I have never seen the show, just screen caps.

It will most likely be in the Ahsoka show since some of the characters are front and center in it.

There was a garage kit a few years back.
No idea how accurate it was since I have never seen the show, just screen caps.

It will most likely be in the Ahsoka show since some of the characters are front and center in it.
It is hard to be supper accurate to an animated version. The artwork is simplified and stylised in the show. They did make a more detailed one for the Battle of Scarif in Rogue one, but you dont see loads of it. I imagine they'll used that CGI version for the Ahsoka show.

Cool project! The ship reminds me a bit of the Narcissus from Alien. Don't have much experience with 3D modelling from scratch like this, but it looks like a good first draft to further detail and refine.

I really liked this ship. You're off to a good start with the foundation.

The only kit I'm aware of is Randy Cooper's for $420. Here's the link to the page, you have to scroll down to find it. MODEL KITS — Randy Cooper Models & Design

There's no direct link or separate page. It does come with a base and the attack shuttle.
Randy's one is really nice, but a bit out of my price range. I also would like to do it a bit larger. I'm thinking 1/72 scale so it would match the Bandai Falcon.

A little update. Got in the zone last night so decided to work on the cockpit and front turret section. I figured these would be one of the bits that tested my skills most. I'm pretty happy with how they came out, and I made designs for bucks so both canopies can be vacuum formed.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks!

Attachments

• Cockpit Section 2.jpg
    Cockpit Section 2.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Cockpit Section.jpg
    Cockpit Section.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 114
I've always loved the Ghost. It really felt like the Falcon for the Rebels crew. Everything is based around it, and it felt like home. Always wanted a model kit as well. This is looking awesome!

SB

A bit more of an update. The main engines are shaped in and the detailing has started. I have made them so you can get 6 led's in each engine. I planned on a ring of orange with yellow in the middle. I will make a diffusing cap to go over them which will feature the detail seen in the center of the engines.
The entire nozzle section will be a seperate part to facilitate the lighting.

I've always loved the Ghost. It really felt like the Falcon for the Rebels crew. Everything is based around it, and it felt like home. Always wanted a model kit as well. This is looking awesome!

SB

That's how I've always seen the Ghost too! I'd love a nice sized styrene kit, but I didn't see it happening any time soon. I will have these files up for sale once done and be selling the kit as a whole for people without printers. The plan is for it to be 1/72 scale to match Bandai's Falcon. So it'll be quite large, lol.

Attachments

• With Engines 1.jpg
    With Engines 1.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 140
  • With Engines 2.jpg
    With Engines 2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 104
  • With Engines 3.jpg
    With Engines 3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 102
  • With Engines 4.jpg
    With Engines 4.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 108
Seems like I did some detailed 2D CAD drawings of the Ghost with a similar scratchbuilding (but not 3D printing) project in mind. Trouble is, the version of CAD I have is limited on 'sharing' the drawings, pretty much locked into printing. Spend many an hour cycling through images, plans (such as they were), etc. to get the stuff into shape. Would love to turn everything over to someone who could use it, but they'd have to be able to utilize 'dwg' file data...
I really need to learn how use 3D tools!
Found stuff like this I'd loaded screen capped and exported to a PDF:
shuttle cross sections.jpg

this is the shuttlecraft sans wings...

I've attached a copy of the decal graphics I've done for my own project, including the Phantom nose art and small bits.

Attachments

• ghost_decals.pdf
    267.5 KB · Views: 102
Here are my notes so far (reference to 'cake topper' is for a small Ghost that was issued as a birthday cake decoration that scales out to just about perfect 1/350 scale. Fairly decent little 'model'!
--------------------------------
Season 1 vs 2:
-Framing on nose gunner's station bubble changed to include more struts (to look more like a WWII bomber nose.)
-Aft bottom corner of nose cargo bay trimmed
-Forward fuselage "wedge" has lower underside surface half-trimmed horizontially
-Landing gear more detailed with 'ski' front edges and doubled struts
-Nose cargo bay door 'extruded' proud of bay front surface instead of being flush
-A 'step' has been added to the vertical faces of underside cargo bay aft portion.
-underside cargo bay aft portion flares in width aft to a greater degree.
-Addition of 1 'torpedo tube' each side on underside of trimmed fuselage wedge, on sloped portion; horizontal portion has half-round tubular details added, 2 per side of unequal lengths
-Lower aft "fin" has notched lower edge
-'Jet engine' detail added at juncture of lower fin to lower hull
-Droid external socket added to shuttle 'doghouse' & blaster moved aft.
-Circular disk detail added to aft face of transverse underside bulkhead (above landing gear), 3 per side

Inconsistencies:

Shuttle:
- Belly hatch cannot line up with docking bay hatch when 'parked' backwards if placed as depicted in show. Moving the hatch on shuttle aft allows it to mate up either way, however.
-Drew roof blaster with more detail than show has in order to depict how it can elevate to 90 degrees and downward ~10 degrees. Also added stereoscopic "sight" optics.

Ship:
None so far. Generally drawn to Season 1 standard except for landing skids and cargo hatch (stands proud of surface.)

Drew nose gunner bubble as an horizontal ellipse - not quite round. This effect is visible is some views, though others show it as elongated vertically! Expect camera distortion is cause...
---------------------
Cake Topper 'Ghost'
Diameter Large engine tube: 2.685"
Dia. small engine tube: 1.6799 (22/32)
Scale: 1/356 if 43.9 meters long assumed

One thing I noticed in your 3D model is that the vertical "plate" section that runs fore and aft alongside the central spine section is depicted as a 'wedge' when it should be of constant thickness. In other words, the intersection of the 'wedge' sponson section and the the transistion piece should be parallel to the main fuselage vertical bulkhead.

1687843566376.png

1687843289634.png

One interesting thing about the shuttle docking bay is pointed out in the notes, namely when the shuttle is facing aft, the rear airlock aligns with the airlock at the front of the docking bay (more of a 'socket' than a 'bay'...) However, the ventral hatch does not align (as depicted in the show) when docked 'ass-forward', hence I moved it so it mated up regardless of docking direction.

Regards, Robert

Seems like I did some detailed 2D CAD drawings of the Ghost with a similar scratchbuilding (but not 3D printing) project in mind. Trouble is, the version of CAD I have is limited on 'sharing' the drawings, pretty much locked into printing. Spend many an hour cycling through images, plans (such as they were), etc. to get the stuff into shape. Would love to turn everything over to someone who could use it, but they'd have to be able to utilize 'dwg' file data...
I really need to learn how use 3D tools!
Found stuff like this I'd loaded screen capped and exported to a PDF:
View attachment 1713783

this is the shuttlecraft sans wings...
This incredible thank you for sharing. This would save me a ton of work! I do believe Fusion360 is capable of opening DWG files. I'd be interested to see how close i got to your drawings!

I've attached a copy of the decal graphics I've done for my own project, including the Phantom nose art and small bits.
These decals are incredible! I hope you would be okay with me using them?

Here are my notes so far (reference to 'cake topper' is for a small Ghost that was issued as a birthday cake decoration that scales out to just about perfect 1/350 scale. Fairly decent little 'model'!
--------------------------------
Season 1 vs 2:
-Framing on nose gunner's station bubble changed to include more struts (to look more like a WWII bomber nose.)
-Aft bottom corner of nose cargo bay trimmed
-Forward fuselage "wedge" has lower underside surface half-trimmed horizontially
-Landing gear more detailed with 'ski' front edges and doubled struts
-Nose cargo bay door 'extruded' proud of bay front surface instead of being flush
-A 'step' has been added to the vertical faces of underside cargo bay aft portion.
-underside cargo bay aft portion flares in width aft to a greater degree.
-Addition of 1 'torpedo tube' each side on underside of trimmed fuselage wedge, on sloped portion; horizontal portion has half-round tubular details added, 2 per side of unequal lengths
-Lower aft "fin" has notched lower edge
-'Jet engine' detail added at juncture of lower fin to lower hull
-Droid external socket added to shuttle 'doghouse' & blaster moved aft.
-Circular disk detail added to aft face of transverse underside bulkhead (above landing gear), 3 per side

Inconsistencies:

Shuttle:
- Belly hatch cannot line up with docking bay hatch when 'parked' backwards if placed as depicted in show. Moving the hatch on shuttle aft allows it to mate up either way, however.
-Drew roof blaster with more detail than show has in order to depict how it can elevate to 90 degrees and downward ~10 degrees. Also added stereoscopic "sight" optics.

Ship:
None so far. Generally drawn to Season 1 standard except for landing skids and cargo hatch (stands proud of surface.)

Drew nose gunner bubble as an horizontal ellipse - not quite round. This effect is visible is some views, though others show it as elongated vertically! Expect camera distortion is cause...
---------------------
Cake Topper 'Ghost'
Diameter Large engine tube: 2.685"
Dia. small engine tube: 1.6799 (22/32)
Scale: 1/356 if 43.9 meters long assumed
These are really invaluable notes, thank you once again!

One thing I noticed in your 3D model is that the vertical "plate" section that runs fore and aft alongside the central spine section is depicted as a 'wedge' when it should be of constant thickness. In other words, the intersection of the 'wedge' sponson section and the the transistion piece should be parallel to the main fuselage vertical bulkhead.

View attachment 1713790
View attachment 1713789
Now you point it out I see it. I had been going from the Fantasy Flight Games and Ole Magnus Schei Sunnevåg models, which are both based on the digital assets made for Rogue One, which seems to have reshaped that section for some reason. It is something I can easily fix though

One interesting thing about the shuttle docking bay is pointed out in the notes, namely when the shuttle is facing aft, the rear airlock aligns with the airlock at the front of the docking bay (more of a 'socket' than a 'bay'...) However, the ventral hatch does not align (as depicted in the show) when docked 'ass-forward', hence I moved it so it mated up regardless of docking direction.

Regards, Robert

I imagine the animators didnt think about it too hard. It is also interesting as in some scenes the Phantom docks facing forward, yet there doesnt appear to be enough space to fit it in there.

Thank you so much fo these resources. I really do want to make the best Ghost I can within my skills and these will help immensely with that.

That's how I've always seen the Ghost too! I'd love a nice sized styrene kit, but I didn't see it happening any time soon. I will have these files up for sale once done and be selling the kit as a whole for people without printers. The plan is for it to be 1/72 scale to match Bandai's Falcon. So it'll be quite large, lol.

Would you also have an option for a 1/144 version?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back