VashDstampede's Iron Man Faceplate Reveal WIP

OK, Got the mold finished for the eyepieces and painted a pair. I still need the other two eye pieces, but I'll get to those tomorrow after work.
1paintedback2.jpg

I test fitted the new eye pieces on my mask this evening. It was a bit tricky applying it since there isn't much contact for the glue, but I think it turned out OK for my first attempt.
Here's the pic before I add the wiring and maybe even lighting ;)
faceplatefinal.jpg

Here's what it looks like from the front. I used clear acrylic for the lenses, but I may do a darker lense on another faceplate.
eye-lense.jpg

Here's the front section of mine as it stands today. Lot's more writing to go and I still need to affix the mid forehead section.
painted-front.jpg

Cool Ely. What are you using as the medium for the writing (pen, paint, etc.)??

Also, I noticed that the small wires wrapped through out the mask are red, blue and green. It looks like they are about 22 or 24 gauge wires but I can't find these wires to be sold anywhere, thoughts. And there seems to be thicker grey wires around the bottom perimeter of the jaw...

FACEPLATEPink.jpg

Brad

Last edited:
Finally, I started on the Iron Man Reveal. The castings of the greblies are phenomenal. A little sanding on the back and that's about it. I did not need to putty a single one of them. Stellar casting job, Ely!

Heating the pieces to make them match the curves of the mask interior works like a charme! The resin is very responsive to heat (I used a blow dryer).

What I was wondering: I received two sets of "eyeliners". One thicker than the other. Where they both supposed to be used or is it for your own choice?

An why is there an extra plate for the mouth piece?

Thomas

ironparts.jpg

I believe Ely sent two of the "eye pieces" because he made one out of resin and the other out of Syntra. He is letting you decide which forms better with the heat. Use only one set.

Not sure about the mouth piece...

Make sure you post pics as you progress!

Brad

One set of eye pieces were in styrene which I found was a bit more difficult to bend since it requires higher temperatures, but the other is sintra which, like resin, can be heated easily with hot water or a blowdryer.
If you wanted to use both, sandwiching a clear or tinted acrylic in the middle, that would be a good effect as well.

I also included a new back for the mouth piece with the second run (if you turn it over it is dark grey matching the "forehead" back piece. This way, you don't need to fill in the back of the mouth piece with putty after sanding to fill in any pin holes, just glue and you're finished.
You can see it in the picture above.

Last edited:
lol i guess im a year late... i was hoping he was still making molds or taking requests, im unable to post in the junkyard section so im having a hard time getting a hold of him or a message.

I haven't revisited this in a while, but I've been getting quite a few PMs and e-mails regarding doing another run so check the junkyard soon ;)

I just love this tread. Would be cool to have this stored in the Ironman Builders club for future reffrence and build.

Here is my build:

Dual.jpg

Thats just absolutely ridiculous. Absurd. Nothing original or attractive about it. I'm sorry to have to be the "new guy" to break the news to you, but you've missed the mark and should really toss this out. Its embarrassing.

With that said, *sigh*... I'll take it of your hands for you so you won't have to live with the shame of having it around your home. I know, I know... I'm a great guy to do this. Ship it out today and you can be done with it. I'll bear the suffering for you, personally.

I'm messing with ya! This is absolutely amazing! Just gorgeous. You have a prized possession on your hands!

What brand and color did you use for your faceplate?

I just realized this thread had some recent comments, thanks guys:$

I used Alclad II chrome for this build which was too bright/reflective, but a shot of Mr. Clear gloss got it to the exact color I was looking for.

TMP - I definitely need to check out the Iron Man builders club:thumbsup

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back