Vacuum Forming vs Rotocasting

flamingBurrito

So I've been doing some research, and I haven't really been able to find any clear answers so I'm asking here:

When would you use vacuum forming over rotocasting and vice versa? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

Rotocasting gives better detail, but not as sturdy as vacufomed plastic of same thickness.

Rotocasting also involves more effort to mold. So it comes down to the needs of the finished piece, as to which you would choose.

Quantity,but cost and time too. An identical plug and master can take similar amounts of time to produce. So the question becomes, are you suiting up the imperial Forces or making just a few resin copies. Vac'formed sheet plastic is light resilient and, relatively speaking, much cheaper than resin. Resin offers more choices in additives for color, translucency, metal finish, density, weight... etc.

Supposing for a moment that you already have the means to do either, you'll be able to produce far more copies with vac'forming in the time it will take you to get one or two good rotocasts. Rotocasting is, by its nature, faster than traditional casting, but still not as fast a smashing hot plastic on a plug and sucking the air out.

Every medium has its application, doesn't mean we can't break the rules constantly though.

It would also depend on the application/what you're making. Are you making a helmet? Armor Components? An entire set of armor? A helmet of rotocast resin is fine, and will give you much better detail than a vacuum formed one, but when it comes to doing, say and entire set of armor, resin is going to get heavy, and if you can pull off the same armor vacuum-forming, you will make your life a lot more comfortable. The Plastic will be lighter, cooler, more comfortable, and easier to wear for extended periods of time.

Not exactly the same, but I have worn the same exact same set of armor pulled in Fiberglass and pulled in plastic, and the plastic is by far easier to wear.

Also depending on the piece, vacforming can make mass reproduction fast and more cost effective. Unless you are planning to reproduce the piece in a large volume, the initial cost of making or purchasing a vacforming machine is probably enough to go with casting.

Whats the best way to heat up the plastic sheeting for vacuum forming? I have a heat gun however it doesnt seem like that would give it enough of an even coating. It almost seems like I would need an oven to get an even heating of the plastic (yes i know that could be very very very toxic haha)

I've used an oven and had no problems. But then again the little green men told me I would be ok.=P But seriously. If you go on line you can find some very cheap and effective builds. One person took their hotplate iron and used it in wooden insulated box as the oven piece on top. I use my oven, but would like to convert my table to both a larger area and add the iron top.
Here is another. Make a good, cheap, upgradeable sheet plastic vacuum former
Workshop Publishing - Plans, Books, Videos - Home

just thoughts.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back