USS Reliant 1/537 scale model help for a beginner

Ace2020, this is a good kit to start on but needs some work to bring it to life see my pictures its not perfect and has no after market parts but i managed to get hold of 2 kits and this was a practice one. It does take some time with the fibre optics i think i drilled out 150 hols 1mm and space inside is a little cramped, but all in all its not a duplicate of the original and iam happy with the finish. I would recommend starting a small kit first like a shuttle craft to get your skills up.

Last edited:
For decals always use microset and microsol. Put a coat of gloss over the model before applying decals and it will make the clear edges dissapere and give it a painted on look.

How do you spell dissapere anyway? lol Forgot to add - after the decals are dry, spray another gloss coat and then dulcoat to finish it off and seal them in.

Ace2020, this is a good kit to start on but needs some work to bring it to life see my pictures its not perfect and has no after market parts but i managed to get hold of 2 kits and this was a practice one. It does take some time with the fibre optics i think i drilled out 150 hols 1mm and space inside is a little cramped, but all in all its not a duplicate of the original and iam happy with the finish. I would recommend starting a small kit first like a shuttle craft to get your skills up.

That still looks pretty good! did a nice job on it.

No worries if your after any reference pics I can post them here or just scan google try and do as much research as you can. But try the kit with out lights it's still an iconic peace I do have the Aztec patterns for the entire model you can print these on water slide decal paper far quicker than painting those dreaded Aztec patterns did it one not again.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back