US Navy Mk II Talker Helmet 3D to Imperial Navy Trooper

TazMan2000

Master Member
The basis for a few Star Wars helmets. Notably, the Rebel Fleet Trooper, Imperial Navy Trooper and the Imperial Weapons Technician. There hasn't been a good 3D printable file of this helmet out there, so I decided to use some photogrammetry software to make a 3D version. You may ask, "Why did you make a 3D one when you could have used the real one, pictured, as a buck for vacuforming?" The answer is, that I didnt feel like making another large vacuform tool that I probably won't ever use again, and that I also wanted to make a helmet that looked more functional than a thin dome of styrene/PVC. In addition, the Imperial NavyvTrooper helmet has a skirt that goes around the sides and back, which forces the brim of a vacuformed styrene helmet to warp, (because it wants to flex to being straight) making look like you are wearing a large salad bowl on your head.

I've already designed the "cheesegrater" additions in 3D as well, but still have to work on the "Ears" that hold the skirt in its place and at the proper angle.

20191125_161351.jpg

TazMan2000

Last edited:
After comparing the way the "ears" look compared to the filming helmet, I decided to enlarge them.

Old ears.

20200126_135119.jpg

New ears.

20200126_135211.jpg

The thing about photographing contrasting objects is that the brain perceives one of the parts is slightly larger or smaller incorrectly..

TazMan2000

Last edited:
REALLY nice job! This is the first one I have seen that actually LOOKS like the screen used ones! Pretty much every fan-made one I've seen up to now has been way too... 'shallow'.

Funny, I purchased an actual talker helmet a year ago for this very purpose. Produced a 3D model from photogrammetry and was trying to get to the stage you've gotten to here to make bucks for vac forming but then got so sidetracked on other projects that I haven't been able to get to it.

Really nice to see what you've done here - thanks for sharing. Great job!

Dan

While using my previous work as a guideline, I decided to create the Return of the Jedi version of the Imperial Navy Trooper Helmet.

The major differences are mostly in the rear, with the "cheesgrater" panel in the back lifted up in the back and more than likely made similarly to the Rebel Fleet Trooper Helmets with the "swoop" in the back, except with holes. The "skirt" is also more elongated to accommodate the shape of the swoop.

Here is the 3D design but without the skirt, which will most likely be either PVC sheet, styrene or some other flexible but strong plastic.

Screenshot 2023-07-26 233945.png

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back