haasofprops

Hi everyone! LOTR was the movie series that kick started by desire to be a propmaker. I have been wanting to make something from the series for quite some time, but life has a way of getting in the way. So, I finally had the chance this past weekend where I could build something I have been wanting to make since I saw its miniature release from Weta... this Uruk-Hai General helmet. It was designed for the films and didn't get any screen time, but I think it is an impressive helmet with the crest and the blood smears on the ends.

Here is the building process video and some build pics.

& if you would like the pattern/template you can find it here: LOTR_Uruk-Hai_General_Helmet_Haas_of_Props.pdf

1665256303899.jpeg

1665256314337.jpeg

1665256324594.jpeg

1665256334410.jpeg

1665256341981.jpeg

1665256350118.jpeg

Wowweee!

Great build and pdf's included!?!?!

And just in time for Halloween!

This is a Drop Everything Thread! Stop everything else I am working on and crank out a few o these for my friends and kids.

Thank you!

I finally had the chance this past weekend where I could build something I have been wanting to make since I saw its miniature release from Weta... this Uruk-Hai General helmet. It was designed for the films and didn't get any screen time, but I think it is an impressive helmet with the crest and the blood smears on the ends.
While it indeed doesn't seem to obviously appear in the final cut, at least one evidently made it to set... If you look at the excellent 2003 book "The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare" by Chris Smith, a photo on page 126 shows a "commander" wearing one of these in front of a grappling hook ballista.

It's amazing to me how many big, distinctive props / costume pieces can get entirely overlooked either by the camera angle or the edit. I always feel so bad for the designers/fabricators when they put in all of that work and don't even get half a second to show for it.

Edit: Scratch that – it DOES appear! [3:05:11 in the Extended Edition]

Uruk-hai commander screenshot.jpg

Last edited:
While it indeed doesn't seem to obviously appear in the final cut, at least one evidently made it to set... If you look at the excellent 2003 book "The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare" by Chris Smith, a photo on page 126 shows a "commander" wearing one of these in front of a grappling hook ballista.

It's amazing to me how many big, distinctive props / costume pieces can get entirely overlooked either by the camera angle or the edit. I always feel so bad for the designers/fabricators when they put in all of that work and don't even get half a second to show for it.

Edit: Scratch that – it DOES appear! [3:05:11 in the Extended Edition]

View attachment 1625409
Thanks for this! I can't even count how many times I have watched this, and I missed it!

I am in love with my current build.

Here are a few pics.

I may try your build outta aluminum
Those are looking pretty cool! What are you using to create the hard surface?

Aluminum would be awesome to see! Metalwork is out of my wheelhouse, and I am always amazed by those who can do it.

Those are looking pretty cool! What are you using to create the hard surface?

Aluminum would be awesome to see! Metalwork is out of my wheelhouse, and I am always amazed by those who can do it.

I am using FreeForm Air. Mix equal portions of each and it becomes like sculpting with Playdoh. Then it hardens and I add to it. I like it because I can throw down a rough idea, then come back and sand it down..

I took screen shots of the character then put it up in a tv for reference of actual size. Taped paper to the tv and traced out the enlarged images.

**I do not own stock is Smooth-on materials. **

Metal work is joint trauma but can be rewarding.

Parker Brown on youtube, raising metal. You can get started with a $40 hammer, $60 football die and EAR PROTECTION.

Oh, and a sheet of aluminum. 0.04-0.08 thickness

Once done with the sculpt, I will coat in several layers of XTC 3D epoxy with a base pigment that I can paint over

I am using FreeForm Air. Mix equal portions of each and it becomes like sculpting with Playdoh. Then it hardens and I add to it. I like it because I can throw down a rough idea, then come back and sand it down..

I took screen shots of the character then put it up in a tv for reference of actual size. Taped paper to the tv and traced out the enlarged images.

**I do not own stock is Smooth-on materials. **

Metal work is joint trauma but can be rewarding.

Parker Brown on youtube, raising metal. You can get started with a $40 hammer, $60 football die and EAR PROTECTION.

Oh, and a sheet of aluminum. 0.04-0.08 thickness
I've never used FreeForm Air before I'll have to give it a shot.

Yes, I've seen Parker's videos before. I don't think my carpal tunnel could handle the impact:(

Love it. I may try this to add to my helmet collection. I’ve made Durin’s crown from rings of power. elendil, and a Rohan helmet from LOTR, and a dwarven helmet w a faceplate from Erebor from the hobbit.

Love it. I may try this to add to my helmet collection. I’ve made Durin’s crown from rings of power. elendil, and a Rohan helmet from LOTR, and a dwarven helmet w a faceplate from Erebor from the hobbit.
Thanks! Your collection sounds AMAZING! I'm hoping to build more for my own as well:)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back