Upgraded "Disguise" Captain America & Stock Thor "Elite" Pics

Re: Disguise Captain America & Thor "Elite" Pics

Ya know, that's not that bad. I think the mask obviously has the most issues, but with a new helmet, this thing would probably look pretty decent.

It may look decent in photos, but its very stretchy material. The vinyl pieces are thin and floppy and have scratches from the mold process. I just decided that I'm going to re-do as much armor as I can by making foam pieces wrapped with red pleather/vinyl material. I may start to loose a little movie accuracy, but this costume has it lost already. The helmet, I'll play with. I just cut the eye openings bigger, and if I can define the eyebrow somehow and fix the cheeks, and remove about 2 inches from the back, it might have a slim chance of looking ok.

I'd rather pay a little more and get a better quality material~

Re: Official Captain America "Elite" Pics

I keep turning the helmet around in my hand trying to figure how to make it better. I've built costumes for 11 years, and it has me puzzled. I know I could almost go buy a plastic army helmet and glue this vinyl one over it and that may fix the top and side, but modifying the eye area so it lays on the face like it should has me puzzled.

I was REALLY looking forward to the belt having real pouches, like when Rubies made that $15 yellow latex Batman utility belt a while ago. All the answers I got from the customer service person of the costume have turned out to be false.

didnt they just take an old army helmet and build on to it for the movie? I may be mistaken on that though, but that's what it seems they did.

didnt they just take an old army helmet and build on to it for the movie? I may be mistaken on that though, but that's what it seems they did.

Yup, which is why I'm going to an army surplus store tomorrow :) . Honestly I'm not thrilled with the costume, but I need Captain for halloween's canned food drive and there's no time left to have another costume made without cutting it too close.

but modifying the eye area so it lays on the face like it should has me puzzled.

Double sided lingerie tape.
Just as long as it sticks to the inside to the helmet, should keep it attached to your checks and pull the front down.

The Thor one from a distance actually looks decent for what it's selling for. I think Disguise's previous Thor costume from the solo movie also looked decent, a cosplayer used that as a starting point for his 2012 Comic Con costume and it looked decent.

The Cap one on the other hand... :facepalm

I thought I would try to get the "dents" out the of the stock Helmet by putting another helmet inside of it, to stretch the thing out to the size it's designed for. Really I have no hopes for the stock one. Maybe my suit just came from a bad production run since it's new, but still no hopes.

Here it is with a white adult-sized play space helmet inside. My head is 24", and as you can see by the gaps from my ears to it, and the stock helmet still can go bigger, that the thing is *huge*.

I have a different cowl ordered of a non-Avengers design, and I'm replacing the boot covers, gloves, gauntlets, and my own functional belt is almost finished. I also have made my own shield and it just needs the red and it's done.

My suit will not be Avengers accurate, which saddens me a bit, BUT I do enjoy making things and when all this is done I know I'm going to have something nice and I'm excited about that, even though it's going WAY over budget now.

So I bought the $20 Captain full mask from Spirit Halloween (but I got it for $16 with a coupon, and gotta say I'm pretty impressed for what it is. I think I'm going to repaint it the darker blue and silver. It has some good detail work and fits very nice.

Last edited:

I'd rather pay a little more and get a better quality material~
Thanks for the review and pics. I was looking into buying this and now I'm officially NOT.
The helmet is what turns me off the most, looks horrible.

I purchased the same costume. I altered it a bit, since it was a bit loose on me. I purchased another helmet on eBay (the one PunisherNC purchased) but it was a little big on me, and the color of the helmet didn't look to good with the colors in the costume. I think I may just not wear a helmet at all.
Im also going to wear a paintball vest underneath to pop out the chest area more.

As for the gloves, and boot covers, I think I may use the approach TheCrusader used.

No idea what Im going to do with the belt.

So, it looks like the suit is pretty good, the helmet, gloves, boot covers and belt need to be replaced.

Not that bad as a base. Sure, it would have been awesome if it was ready to wear rpf-quality for the price, but the suit looks like it's worth it.

So, it looks like the suit is pretty good, the helmet, gloves, boot covers and belt need to be replaced.

Not that bad as a base. Sure, it would have been awesome if it was ready to wear rpf-quality for the price, but the suit looks like it's worth it.

I'm not sure. The fabric is very much the same polyester as your gramma's blouse. That's the best way to really describe it. Plus the neck opening is sooooooo small. Maybe I just got a bad run since it's a new costume, but still....

But this is what I've been working on for upgrades:
1. I made myself a nice steel Shield since it's cheaper to make a real one than to buy the mass-produced plastic ones.

2. I made my own Belt from Dollar Tree cell phone pouches and a surplus military belt.

3. Made my own Gloves and Gauntlets. The Gauntlets are made from spare thick Iron Man foam, red vinyl and red elastic.

4. Purchased a $20 full-head Captain mask (paid $16 with a coupon) and repainted it Navy Blue. He is military right? (hard to tell from the pic above but the Navy really is a lot darker than the stock blue)

5. Boots = not done yet.

So my Captain will be a mix of Avengers and Classic. Could be fun once all put together.

Last edited:

how you make your shield dude? it looks sexaaaay lol

how you make your shield dude? it looks sexaaaay lol

AWww thanks!

1. Obtain a steel saucer sled from Amazon or Ebay ($20-$30). Remove the rope handles and fill the holes in with washers and pop-rivets. Also pop-rivet on a handle and strap to the inside. I don't trust adhesive tape on something this heavy.

2. Get some paint. I used the Anodized kind. Base paint the Shield silver.

3. Drill a hole in the middle of the Shield and make a cardboard template with holes where you want the ring spacings. Use it like a protractor. Stick a pen in the hole in the middle of the shield and then a pen in the ring holes. You can use the same protractor with a blade for cutting the masking tape too.

4. Paint the blue first, then mask for the red.

5. Use a $2 aluminum For Sale or "warning" sign from Home Depot for your 10" star. Just cut it out with plain scissors, detail it with a blade, get some 3M adhesive tape and stick it on.

6. Clear Coat if wanted. I use Ace Instant Drying Lacquer.

Ta da! Captain has been altered and is now complete. Here's what it is:

1. Replaced the stock huge helmet with the $15-$20 full-head latex Captain mask, and repainted it with blue Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric Paint, and Flat White. I also added a zipper to the back.

2. The stock collar would not close because it's way too small so I took some red elastic, a spare buckle, and acquired 2 National Defense ribbons and 1 Presidential Protection ribbon, and connected the elastic to the stock collar via those. Now you just squeeze and clip the buckle instead of velcro.

3. Replaced the stock Gloves and Gauntlets with my own foam and vinyl Gauntlets and vinyl Gloves.

4. Replaced the stock Belt with a military belt and painted it Navy Blue, and added Dollar Tree cell phone pouches also painted blue. Also added a military pistol belt that goes down the chest and back which is also painted Navy Blue.

5. Ditched the stock Boot Covers and replaced with vinyl boots so it doesn't look too busy.

6. Closed the gap on back of the stock Hood with some dark blue iron-on match material.

Ta Da!

The modifications have made for a great improvement. Nice work! Granted, I don't want to know what you spent on the thing in total, but the money and work shows.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back