Uncharted Movie Finally Begins Shooting

Just got out of the theater. Still seething, and I’m not sure this movie even deserves an in-depth dissection on everything they did wrong. I might post later. Very, very angry.
Yeah, please go into detail. I love the Uncharted series. I decided if they're going to screw it up, I won't go see it.

I'm already annoyed that Sully isn't old like he should be and I'm not happy with Holland as Drake, but I was willing to give him a chance.

I went to see it dreading what it would be but I just took it for what it is, a popcorn adventure film.

Sully should have been older and have the iconic mustache, cigars and shirt. ( MW was the wrong choice)
Sully and Nate met in Panama when Nate was 14 (U3)
Nate met Chloe in 2002 at a gun show in Tulsa Oklahoma (U2 journal)
Chloe should have blue eyes.
History of Chloe's dad was covered in Lost Legacy.
U3 and movie both have the cargo plane bit, one over the desert the other over the ocean.
Other scenes lifted directly for the games.
Nate and Sam's real name is Morgan, not Drake (U4)
Nate and Sam's mother is dead and their father left them in the orphanage. (U4) (not both parents abandoning them)

I'm sure there are lot's of other things but at the end of the day it's a popcorn movie.

While Tom has played the games (U4 while filming Spiderman 1) the director hasn't, neither has Mark.

Ugh…where even to begin…

Plot spoilers below.
I know that about half the games feature non-linear storytelling, but not the first game. The other games work because you already have the context of the characters and who they are, and you want to see how the characters you love got to where they are. It does not work to “start in the middle” and then work your way back with a fresh story that you are introducing to a new audience. I hate this trope in movies, with few exceptions. So that’s how the movie starts.

We’re then treated to bad kid actors playing out a very abbreviated form of U4’s Sam and Nate moments around the orphanage. Again, lack of context. U1 focuses on Francis Drake, so it makes sense to bring up Nate “being descended from Drake”. Francis Drake has nothing to do with this film, so it’s a throwaway piece of expository dialogue.

12 year Nate then morphs into 12 year old Tom Holland working at a bar. I hate this. I hate this a lot. Nate is a (kind of maybe alcoholic) bartender and also a petty, petty thief. Really makes him seem very unlikeable. Sully shows up and starts throwing more expository dialogue and “recruits” Nate for this heist.

Cue obnoxious montage “preparing for the heist”. Everything is modern and high-tech and incredibly boring.

Cut to auction scene stolen from U4, and annoying “banter”. Not much to say. Banderas is a little miscast. He seems a little Rafe-ish, but much too old to be playing “entitled rich kid about to get cut off from his fortune”.

They grab the cross and jet off to Barcelona where another cross and Chloe await. Except Chloe isn’t that great, is pretty antagonistic, and pretty much just wears coveralls in every scene she’s in, for some reason. They do some third-rate parkour and puzzle-solving. Sully is constantly freaking out about being cut out and betrayed despite doing that himself all the time. They find a map, Chloe betrays them (surprise) and turns out to be working for Banderas. This makes the other woman Banderas hired (Braddock? A poor substitute at Nadine?) angry.

Nate and Sully sneak on to the big plane. Braddock kills Banderas (ripping off U1, Navarro and Roman). Sully gets out with a chute, there’s a lot of terrible CGI, and Nate and Chloe fall into the ocean. They wash up on a resort beach where a very hamfisted cameo from Nolan North happens.

Nate has his shirt off (for the umpteenth time in the movie) so he and Chloe can figure out the next clue in another bad montage. Nate figures it out and leaves a fake clue for Chloe to find in the morning because, surprise, she betrays him again and leaves. She practically does not show up again in the film.

Nate and Sully track down Magellan’s ships with the gold. Braddock and her men show up and somehow lift two massive sailing ships out with helicopters? Lifting imagery from U1 and the statue getting lifted out, except the statue wasn’t nearly as big.

Nate finally gets the holster and gun and fires about three or four shots. More bad CGI ensues. Sully has to choose between a backpack full of gold and Nate and chooses Nate, big surprise. They fly off.

A post credit sequence reveals, big surprise, Sam is not dead but in jail.

This film has a terrible, flat script, with flat cinematography. These characters are unlikeable a-holes. The music is awful, so much unnecessary electric guitar and (misusing!) the Uncharted theme maybe twice in the movie. The “treasure” seems completely made up. I know the games take a lot of creative license, but they all take inspiration from real legends, myths, treasures, etc. There is no lost city. No “curse” or whatever, again, I know U4 skipped the “supernatural” element but it would have made the film feel a little more substantial had it included this. The effects are bad. Very mediocre. Everything is high-tech and modern—instead of rugged old 4x4s, military surplus flashlights and radios, old prop planes, and guayabera/Hawaiian/bowling shirts, it’s all polyester and windbreakers and electronic music and modern Hyundais and computers.

I would have been fine had this movie been great but just not the games. Instead, it’s worse (by a wide margin) than the forgettable Mummy sequels and probably permanently kills any chance of seeing a good sequel or different adaptation of Uncharted in the near future. Uncharted should have been better than a popcorn movie. This wasn’t even a solid, mindless popcorn movie.

I saw the movie Friday night. I’ve played a little of the first game but unfortunately never had time to finish it so I’ve come to the movie fairly fresh. I enjoyed the beginning and was able to forgive a lot of the silliness but the final act was incredibly over the top and I ended up feeling disappointed.

I guess the downward spiral had already begun but when the antagonist conveniently walks out of a forest onto the beach to see our hero drive past in a boat on his way to the treasure I knew things were going nowhere good.

From there Nate finds a blocked cave entrance with convenient underwater entrance for him to swim through so we can get the big reveal: not one but two fully rigged galleons conveniently beached in a cave that they could never have been manoeuvred into.

I think back to the Goonies. In the context of that movie a pirate ship in a cave seemed perfectly reasonable and filled me with awe, yet here I roll my eyes. Perhaps some of it is in the pacing and reaction of the characters? Nate is alone when he finds the ships and just wanders over and climbs in. Sully somehow shows up and they find the gold. No excitement, no respect, no awe.

Then we get the big final set piece. These ships are what? 500 - 600 years old, they’re made of damp wood and loaded with gold… yet five minutes with some strapping and these ships are lifted straight out of a conveniently sized hole in the roof of the cave. There is no consideration for the fragility of these ancient ships, they swing through the air with no damage to mast or rigging... and this lack of fragility and the ridiculous nature of the ensuing chase leaves you with no sense of peril or danger.

Something about the pacing, the convenience, so many unbelievable elements all piling on top of one another, characters who seem to be all about betraying each other but with no roguish charm to make them likeable… it all just added up to a really disappointing ending. It feels like once again CGI and spectacle is placed ahead of solid story telling and character development.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back