Umbrella Corporation Fleet Vehicle Build - Cherokee XJ - Updates!

Picture post 17 - Begin the Vinyl!

This is where the project starts to really take shape.

The Vinyl Work Begins!

This thread will continue to update for the next 4-5 weeks as we start and complete all of the custom vinyl work on this vehicle.

(We also have plans to add just another small item or two to the interior of the vehicle, but as far as exterior modifications, we're basically finished. We have 'de-badged' the vehicle of all factory Jeep type logos and other items)

This is not a completed post yet. I will post another set of pictures as I finish the passenger side of the vehicle and reinstall all of the fender flares.

This post will show the process of our vinyl wrapping the front and rear quarter panels, and the full rocker panel.

Why Vinyl? If we ever chose to paint the vehicle a different color, sell it, or change its 'theme' to something else down the road, removing vinyl versus sanding the vehicle down through two layers of paint, having a 'paint line' would cause much more work long term, IMO, versus removing a layer of vinyl.

Pics! - Enjoy!

fender_template.jpg

Using a roll of 24" wide by 1100' long 20-24lb paper, instead of starting with much more expensive vinyl, we used this to make the basic templates for the front and rear of the vehicle. This saves us material cost, and the potential loss of material if 'guessing' at making these panel pieces instead of taking a few minutes to make a proper template.

fender_prepped.jpg

In this picture I'm just showing the properly prepped fender for vinyl. Cleaned Very well, and then, as always, use your fancy baby soap and water 1/10 ration for having some movement in the material prior to it trying to dry out immediately within contact.

fender_finished.jpg

Ta-Da! Fender is wrapped. The front and rear fender wrapping is to simulate body armor, that is in fact available for this vehicle....but with plans of driving it across states for certain events, we're trying (hard to tell, right?) to save additional weight where we can haha.

(These next few photos will show us finishing the vinyl work on the rocker panels, lower fender and rear quarter. I won't be explaining much of this process due to not taking as many pictures as I'd prefer to have taken. Weather has been an issue lately.)

rockers_done.jpg

reardriver_quarter.jpg

(Why the Heat Gun? The panels are straight!)

Well... although the Cherokee is a very 'square' and straight vehicle, EVERY body panel (almost) has a slight curve, bow, etc. to the panel, as well as of course, the lips of the wheel-well. We know our after market fenders cover this, so we Only had to use heat on those edges to get the vinyl to lay as close to possible before starting to form what we call 'fingers' in the material that have to be heat gun and pressed such as when applying window tint film.

Finished pictures: (Vehicle still needs fenders reinstalled and a car wash!)

finished1.jpg

vinyl_finished.jpg

Hope you all enjoy! The next post will be finishing these additions on the passenger side, as well as reinstalling the fender flares and cleaning it up for a few shots prior to adding all of the Umbrella Resident Eveil UBCS vinyl work.

-Will & Family

Looking great man.

As a suggestion, you may want to try Plasti-Dip rubberized paint as it's also removable. And yes... Plasti-Dip that's sold in Home Depot and the like however it's not the stuff that's in the jar that you use to dip tools with, you buy the Plasti-Dip spray. There's a whole plethora of information on the internet regarding people doing pin-stripes and stuff on their cars and it's removable. However, if you want it to stay, all you have to do is use the primer. They also sell various overcoats to give the paint a kind of 'look' or 'sheen' for metals and such. Trust me, at first I was skeptical, but then I found how really amazing the paint was for it's use. You'll see for yourself the moment you go digging around on the internet.

Also wanted to also say that I love Rough Country. They sell whole lift kits for really reasonable prices and give your truck that mean look. Keep up the great work.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back